• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooneyzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Gilbert’s already proven he’s still got chops with Thimbleweed Park IMO. We haven’t seen all the characters or any locations aside from that dock but I like the art so far. We’ve got a lot of the original talent returning to work on this. I’m really optimistic about how it could turn out.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I think Advie’s entitled to feel at least a little concerned. Thimbleweed Park’s weakest point was arguably the graphics - which wasn’t much of a problem since it was a tribute to similar looking oldies like Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken.

Monkey Island has a heritage of beautiful looking art, pixel or cartoon or 3D. I’m confident about Gilbert’s writing but with that trailer, hopefully he has plans for something far better looking, because it’s an essential part of MI.

Also, IMO the remakes of MI1 and 2 completely destroy the atmosphere and character of the originals. So there’s that.

PlanetX - 09 April 2022 01:18 AM

We’ve got a lot of the original talent returning to work on this.

Where did you see this? The website only says “A game by Ron Gilbert”.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

RockNFknRoll - 08 April 2022 12:50 PM

- Some people saying they didn’t like MI2 is just crazy to me. Also, the ending is one of the cleanest and most elegant closures I can imagine. Guybrush is a little boy who wandered off into Pirates Of The Caribbean, and let his imagination go.  It makes so much sense, and brings together every 4th wall and anachronistic moment in the first two games. Really curious where RG takes it, I hope he has something even deeper.

When I joined the forum several years ago I was perplexed to learn that there were several users who hated the ending of MI2. How is that even possible? I wondered.

- Some of you are saying stuff about 2022 being amazing so far. What else are you referring to that’s so great? Very interested.

The remake of Max Payne 1 and 2!!!! Oh sorry, it’s not an adventure game, but it also strikes a nostalgic chord in me.

Charophycean - 09 April 2022 01:26 AM
PlanetX - 09 April 2022 01:18 AM

We’ve got a lot of the original talent returning to work on this.

Don’t forget Dave Grossman.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Charophycean - 09 April 2022 01:26 AM

At the end of the trailer it lists people working on it and there’s been more confirmations on twitter.

Dave Grossman is back as co writer, David Fox is the lead programmer, Michael Land, Peter Mcconnel & Clint Bajakian are back doing the music, Dominic Armato is back doing VA for Guybrush among other returning voices.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

That’s great. I’m thrilled about Michael Land.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Charophycean - 08 April 2022 06:27 PM

Also the sequels from two of my favorite games of the last few years: FAR: Changing Tides and NAIRI: Rising Tides.

Hey, what’s up with all the tide-related games in 2022? Maybe Gilbert should change the title to Tides of Monkey Island Cool

Nice!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

RockNFknRoll - 08 April 2022 04:50 PM
- Some of you are saying stuff about 2022 being amazing so far. What else are you referring to that’s so great? Very interested.

Another big release for this year is The Quarry. By the same folks who did Until Dawn. Until Dawn was hugely popular and this game should be a big hit too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Doom - 08 April 2022 09:01 PM
Advie - 08 April 2022 07:50 PM

but, they tackled with it when LucasFilm was still the establishment that it was, Doom.
but ‘what could possibly go wrong’ is something could not tell now, but I see ‘wrong’ all over.

remember True Detective ‘the original part’, I consider it the best series ever made besides Breaking bad, it was at a time rated 9.5, and now it’s 8.9 bc of the other two parts.

maybe it is not a big deal to tackle with it now, as I sounded before, but don’t tell me you think or expect they will even get close to the originals ‘art’, nevermind success or value

I may be the only human on Earth who didn’t like the original True Detective Pan I seriously didn’t as I watched it only recently (both the 1st and 2nd seasons). But I agree that there was that certain mark of quality to all LucasArts games. I’m still certain that Sam & Max 2 would’ve been a better adventure in case it was released by LucasArts. But in this case it’s pretty much a win-win situation to me: Gilbert planned it so long ago that there are hardly any modern pitfalls that could ruin the whole franchise.

did he actually plan the whole thing? the way these things usually go is the person had some ideas, but then when they get the chance decades later they throw a lot of them out and still go for contemporary trends, especially as a team builds around him and disney/lucasfilm plays their part. we already see the art direction about-face.

i hope grossman doesn’t push a telltale quality of game design onto it.

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

RockNFknRoll - 09 April 2022 11:09 AM

did he actually plan the whole thing? the way these things usually go is the person had some ideas, but then when they get the chance decades later they throw a lot of them out and still go for contemporary trends, especially as a team builds around him and disney/lucasfilm plays their part. we already see the art direction about-face.

i hope grossman doesn’t push a telltale quality of game design onto it.

I remember Gilbert claiming he had the story fully developed long time ago and that he would return to Monkey Island only if he had full control of the production. He didn’t work on the remakes or Tales for that reason I presume (well, Telltale told that they “consulted” him, but that’s really nothing). And so far it looks like he is the one making rules, pushing his agenda about continuing MI2, and with so many old LucasArts people aboard. I have concerns about art as well, but it’s too early to tell anything.

And as far as trends go, well, Monkey Island was trendy long before it became trendy Smile Characters like Elaine, Voodoo Lady or the sword master, for example, would be called “progressive” by today’s standards (and they probably are, I just don’t read modern press anymore), nothing to adjust there. And hopefully they don’t need to as they are aiming at older fans of the series.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

part of what bugged me about ToMI was that I felt like they burned through a lot of good ideas and locales but in a weak telltale format. hopefully there’s still some good fresh ideas left over.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Just noticed this revision on Ron’s famous “If I made another Monkey Island” manifesto:

“NOTE: Now that Return To Monkey Island has been announced it’s important to note that a lot of my views (but not all) in this post have changed. Don’t take anything in here as more than a historical moment. Quoting anything in here as canon will just led to tears.”

Maybe it’s been posted but I hadn’t seen this before now. Interesting to note.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

five pages in and nobody made a canon joke.

I don’t know whether I feel disappointment or admiration for your restraint.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 April 2022 08:57 PM

five pages in and nobody made a canon joke.

Diego did. Wink

Besides, canon jokes are as outdated as falconets…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Its odd my return after many years ties in with my favourite adventure game ever releasing a new title. I really didn’t enjoy the 4th or tales.

I love 1 and 2 and imo COMI captures the best atmosphere. It died in later titles and I agree the remakes felt a bit off.

The trailer gets me excited but not the animation style. Way too clean and I’d prefer artsy with shading.

It’s still too little to tell right now but look forward to seeing some gameplay soon I hope.

Still great news considering the past 2 years.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2022-04-13

PM

Great news! Hoping for a new Grim Fandango next Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top