• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your criteria for choosing games

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 18 April 2017 07:12 AM
nomadsoul - 18 April 2017 06:57 AM

so i wonder why he doesnt understand Tim’s love of finding 10 objects to progress screen since a screen or picture has Chinese proverb

One picture is worth ten thousand words

Thats basically 10,000 words in one screen that Oscar reads and types
I think both can get immersive

So if graphic adventures are so superior why have we never had a Lovecraftean graphic adventure as good as Anchorhead? And why do text adventures contain some of the best AG puzzles and stories?

In the beginning was the Word.

Text AG can get good but not all are good there are plenty of crappy ones
Just like some hidden object or other mechanics with no mechanics like TTG

Immersion is not black and white
That was my point, what works for you wont work for other ..its relative
And i dont know about you but Eternaldarkness sanity effects/AG elements destroy any lovecraftian game or film out there
Too bad it has some action elements, but points remain same
Sanity effects were part of visual/mental fuckery, its one of the only games that play you occasionally basically using visual interactivity medium to mess your mind which is so original that even lovecraftian cant do with words

Also Dark Corners of the Earth which starts as AG did fab job , brilliant indeed in just visual atmosphere alone…

I dont blame you if you find stimuli in words but dont blame others if they find some higher rush in staring at screen and hunting clues

And frankly this debate of logic why i am hunting coins is same as why health pack is lying in abandoned tomb of Egypt in Tombraider

Answer is suspension of disbelief

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

For adventure games specifically, I also look at Point & Click and Adventure on Steam, but I also add FMV and walking simulator to the mix. I hate the term walking simulator as some of these games have a very interesting story they are trying to tell, but that’s just the unfortunate nickname they are stuck with on Steam. I also look for user rating. The Steam ratings tend to match my tastes, so I tend to veer away from anything that has the Mixed/Poor rating.

Total Posts: 5621

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

dumbeur - 16 April 2017 07:11 AM

What do you look for in a game and what method do you use?

In the beginning of my gaming life (circa 1999), I just grabbed any Mac adventures that walked by slowly because they were scarce.  Now I just pick and choose as the mood hits me.  I do lean towards 1st person games, simply because that’s where I started, but I enjoy 3rd person as well.  I look at screenshots, read reviews and recommendations and will choose any style, sans too much action, that appeals to me at the time.

I don’t really rise and shine.  I caffeinate and hope for the best.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have less time to play games now, so I am picky. Just as well, there are very few games made now that interest me. So, my criteria:
- first person
- mouse controlled (or programable)
- solitary gameplay, or very minimal interaction with other characters
- ideally no dialogue
- must have puzzle heavy gameplay
- must have exploration, I am partial to 3D movement
- no timed challenges, combat, stealth, or A.I. puzzles
- while I can play spooky games, I draw the line at gore and horror.
This is not totally exclusive. I may play some other games, such as Syberia 3, but only because I played the first two.

I get all my information about adventure games from this site and Gameboomers. 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top