• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Finally got around to playing The Forgotten City which was fantastic. The 5-star review from AG was well warranted. It’s an adventure game in spirit but I also love how it kind of encompasses other genres as well and how there are certain sections of the game that introduce unexpected ideas and mechanics. There are so many twists and turns but they all work and the game is just so damn entertaining. It’s clever, it’s emotional, it’s exciting, it’s funny, it’s satisfying. It’s got everything. Such a fun time and then they top it all off with an incredible ending.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I checked The Forgotten City and this is the game I’d love to play.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Still LIfe 2 and it was meh. Way too much time taking samples with cotton swabs and getting the exact same results. The original Still Life is a much better game to me, oddly I loved that one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just finished Miasmata.

I already tried playing this game a year or two ago. I love the graphics, most of the gameplay (traveling long distances becomes cumbersome and repetitive after a while, though), I absolutely love the triangulation mechanic, etc. The concept is more than sound.

But…
I can’t handle survival horror, never could. When I played the game two years ago, as soon as I encountered the beast for the first time, I became so on-edge that playing almost became torture. I’ll *never* be able to play a game like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Watching a playthrough on YouTube, or watching the creepiest horror films imaginable is no big deal. But the second *I’m* the main character in such a game, I practically crap my pants.

I stopped playing two years ago, because the creature encounters (even if I managed to survive and escape them 4 times out of 5) became so commonplace that I just couldn’t continue any more.

So why try again now? Because I found a mod online that takes the creature out of the game. Explore to your heart’s content, you only have to worry about fever and dehydration, not suddenly being stalked by a creature you can only hide from.

While playing it that way takes away a significant and meaningful part of the game, it does make me able to actually continue. Beyond exploring between a third to half of the island before needing to quit, this time I actually explored almost all of it, and completed the game.

I clocked about 20 hours in total this time, but that would probably have been longer if I had a bunch of encounters with the creature again, and if I didn’t have the foreknowledge of having played part of it before (meaning that I was *prepared* when traveling, making sure I had a full canteen and both basic as well as enhanced medicine on hand, working methodically in exploring, and occasionally cutting the day a bit short to not end up lost in total darkness).

Overall, the story is very minimalistic but poignant, and I’m very much in favour of the theory that the creature is a plague-induced hallucination, possibly even the very thing that drove him to his pre-game actions.

When I had found the cure, I was starting to be done with the game, though. There was a piece of coastline that I hadn’t explored yet, and a couple of small inland spots that I hadn’t managed to triangulate yet, but I had no desire of going for 100% completion, and just beelined for the boat.

Good game with a well thought-out concept, that just manages to avoid overstaying its welcome. But I needed to mod the game to avoid the creature encounters to get there…
All in all, a solid game.

Miasmata - 3.5/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-12-18

PM

Just finished Culpa Innata.

Easily in my top 10 adventure games of all time.

I was able to complete it without any guide. Most of the puzzles were easy, but some I feel like I just brute forced or happened upon the solution without figuring them out. Overall difficulty was pretty low, leading the game to feel closer to a visual novel.

But it has amazing world-building, and a dark, but realistic view of the future that now hits close to home (social credit scores, immersive virtual reality, etc.). The writing feels like a novel, and you can tell that the writers thought through the logic of the society and characters’ thinking carefully.

Even the facial animations are impressive for the day. I’m at a loss for why the game is so unknown, and had never heard about after playing adventure games for more than a decade.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

mjoe - 06 February 2022 01:32 AM

I was able to complete it without any guide. Most of the puzzles were easy, but some I feel like I just brute forced or happened upon the solution without figuring them out. Overall difficulty was pretty low, leading the game to feel closer to a visual novel.

But it has amazing world-building, and a dark, but realistic view of the future that now hits close to home (social credit scores, immersive virtual reality, etc.). The writing feels like a novel, and you can tell that the writers thought through the logic of the society and characters’ thinking carefully.

Even the facial animations are impressive for the day. I’m at a loss for why the game is so unknown, and had never heard about after playing adventure games for more than a decade.

Thanks for the recommendation, I don’t read many comments about that title.

I like a good sci-fi story that extrapolates and thinks about what it wants to say, rather than just go full retro-futurism. I might have to look this one up. Thumbs Up

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have this game. It was fairly popular when it was released ages ago. However, it was published by a small publisher and had a pretty small budget. I need to replay this game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 115

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Vegetable Party - 06 February 2022 05:56 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, I don’t read many comments about that title.

I like a good sci-fi story that extrapolates and thinks about what it wants to say, rather than just go full retro-futurism. I might have to look this one up. Thumbs Up

I second this. I have expressed how much I miss adventures of this era with serious themes/stories (specially sci-fi) and good production values but this one passed me by back then so you made me want to give it a try Smile

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Culpa Innata is a very interesting game. I liked the system of interrogation where you have a certain amount of questions you can devote to each subject per day. I always meant to play it again to see how quickly I could get through the case but other games got in the way.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

PlanetX - 06 February 2022 05:53 PM

Culpa Innata is a very interesting game. I liked the system of interrogation where you have a certain amount of questions you can devote to each subject per day. I always meant to play it again to see how quickly I could get through the case but other games got in the way.

Game would be perfect for a CPT, I’ll have to nominate it in the future.

Heart

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

And I will lead the CPT, just give me a little more time to finish the Spanish translation now we have the tools for it. I promise to finish it this year (I started it in 2018, all texts are translated, but we weren’t able to modify images… until now).

Last night I finished “Impostor Factory”. I cried playing “To he Moon”, I cried playing “Finding Paradise”, but I cried even more playing “Impostor Factory”. It is a completely different story, and yet it manages to wrap up everything.

Not challenging at all, but if you like STORIES, you shouldn’t miss it…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m looking forward to, as & when it’s possible, to you leading a playthrough for Culpa Innata walas Smile

I played To the Moon & Finding Paradise also & cried too. I wasn’t aware of Imposter Factory but will catch up with that sometime. I love the stories but I’m not a fan of the graphical style of the games although it seems to work.  Smile

Total Posts: 525

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I hope this thread is for games I’ve finished not only in the sense of completing it, but also in the sense of “I’m done with this, I’d rather chew my arm off than play another second”, because that was my experience with Sherlock Holmes Volume One.

You run around excessively large areas (which is probably what allows the game developers to claim it’s an “open world game”), with most of it taken up by people who just stand around and who you cannot talk to, and objects and things you cannot interact with. Simply put, rather than investigating crimes and cases, the game wants you to complete it on its own terms - which means searching vast areas for hotspots and then going through a tedious mind map which mostly involves guessing which deduction from equally logical options is the one the game has decided you need to choose.

For those considering playing this one, skip it and play the new Poirot game instead. The only thing it has going for it is that it looks nice, something which quickly wears off as soon as you realize there’s no substance to the game at all.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Charophycean - 22 February 2022 12:22 AM

You run around excessively large areas (which is probably what allows the game developers to claim it’s an “open world game”), with most of it taken up by people who just stand around and who you cannot talk to, and objects and things you cannot interact with.

When you really check the map, you don’t have to run around excessively large area’s :-)
This is a game about observation. Oberving the map is one of the skills you should have.

That being said, wandering aimlessly through Cordona (walking, not running) is very satisfying for me as well, because it is just stunningly beautiful.

Total Posts: 525

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

sylv - 22 February 2022 05:25 AM
Charophycean - 22 February 2022 12:22 AM

You run around excessively large areas (which is probably what allows the game developers to claim it’s an “open world game”), with most of it taken up by people who just stand around and who you cannot talk to, and objects and things you cannot interact with.

When you really check the map, you don’t have to run around excessively large area’s :-)
This is a game about observation. Oberving the map is one of the skills you should have.

That being said, wandering aimlessly through Cordona (walking, not running) is very satisfying for me as well, because it is just stunningly beautiful.

Agreed that it is beautiful. Unfortunately that doesn’t make up for the frustration of searching a large area for a hidden hotspot. When the game gave me the quest of finding a man outside a mansion, yet doesn’t even let me open on the door to go outside - I decided an entire game’s worth of this kind of thing wasn’t going to be worth it.

Crimes and Punishments had a brilliant style of gameplay and I’m not sure why they changed it.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top