• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 2102

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Started several puzzle-heavy games simultaneously and I’m not sure I will be able to finish them all. Well, I’m definitely finishing The Neverhood community playthrough, the game is amazing and I rate it even higher today than before (top-5 instead of top-10).

Also bought URU: Complete Chronicles, because, well, I always wanted to. I know I shouldn’t like it all that much, it got mixed reviews for a reason and I’m not even a Myst fan to begin with, but I’m actually enjoying it quite a lot. It lives up to my expectations of a massive 3D adventure, with or without the planned multiplayer. It is (still!) beautiful, atmospheric and pretty ambitions, hours of exploration and clever environmental puzzles. In fact it feels too good for an adventure game released in 2003, or even today. I like how they use 3D and physics, the open world and many ideas thrown in, even the questionable object hunting. Really addictive.

Another game I wanted to try for years was Atlantis 2: Beyond Atlantis. And this is something completely the opposite. While it’s stunning even with its 800x600 panoramic graphics, and the soundtrack is easily one of the best I’ve ever heard (strongly recommended to everyone who love ethno ambient tunes or just amazing electronic music), gameplay-wise it’s unappealing to the point it feels like a chore. I can’t explain it, the non-linearity is similar to Uru, puzzles are fairly challenging and original, but the way they are introduced just frustrates me to the extreme. It’s like they were developed by some mad genius locked in a cell without any access to the outer world or the actual game. One weird puzzle is thrown at you after another without much explanation or reasoning. You solve them, but you don’t feel satisfied, you want to see the end of all of it, or at least to see the next long, beautiful cutscene. I’m currently exploring a maze-like bureaucratic hell (it is an actual entrance to Hell according to the game) and I hate it and want to uninstall the game! But something always stops me)

I also purchased The Case of the Golden Idol and solved the first case. The game looks really special, certainly very inspired by Obra Dinn, but I’m still not sold. Want to save it for later.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Started with Broken Sword 3, never played it before. Had my doubts if I should give it a try but this still looks and plays (controls) very well, especially compared to for example Gabriel Knight 3 which only came out 4 years earlier and is (sadly) in regards to controls and graphics a hot mess (but probably still the better game overall).

On Steam Deck I had no stability issues so far, game runs perfectly. It was made for PS2 so with the top rated Community Controller layout, the Gamepad controls are top notch.

Total Posts: 1688

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

dirac - 03 September 2023 10:08 AM

Started with Broken Sword 3, never played it before. Had my doubts if I should give it a try but this still looks and plays (controls) very well, especially compared to for example Gabriel Knight 3 which only came out 4 years earlier and is (sadly) in regards to controls and graphics a hot mess (but probably still the better game overall).

On Steam Deck I had no stability issues so far, game runs perfectly. It was made for PS2 so with the top rated Community Controller layout, the Gamepad controls are top notch.

Enjoy bs3 is my 2nd favorite in the series.

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Fantastic game indeed, no idea why there’s so much hate in the steam reviews. For a 3D adventure of that time the graphics have aged really well, some really beautiful locations in there like Prague for example. The people complaining about the controls probably played it with keyboard and mouse while it’s obviously meant to be played with a game controller.

I really wished now Sierra would have waited the 4 years with GK 3 until 3D games looked this good, should have been the bare minimum before taking the leap into the 3d realm, GK 3 looks hideous in comparison. The character interactions between George and Nico were really good and fun, puzzles a bit on the easy side, story one of the better BS ones (I didn’t like BS 2 at all in this regard) but at the end all over the place (let’s say charles definitely played GK3 before writing this Grin).

Regarding the weaknesses, something like this must have happened at the Revolution office:

manager A: charles, we can’t do this, the game is too good, it’s too much fun.
charles: I agree, this is a problem, we gotta add something detrimental, else we shred the broken sword legacy, any ideas?
manager B: we could add quick time events.
charles: good call, people hate those, we’ll do that. But it’s probably still not enough.
manager C: hear me out

I’ll play BS4 next, these are all just around $1 to $2 with steam keys btw, huge bang for the buck.

Total Posts: 1688

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

dirac - 10 September 2023 09:01 AM

Fantastic game indeed, no idea why there’s so much hate in the steam reviews. For a 3D adventure of that time the graphics have aged really well, some really beautiful locations in there like Prague for example. The people complaining about the controls probably played it with keyboard and mouse while it’s obviously meant to be played with a game controller.

I really wished now Sierra would have waited the 4 years with GK 3 until 3D games looked this good, should have been the bare minimum before taking the leap into the 3d realm, GK 3 looks hideous in comparison. The character interactions between George and Nico were really good and fun, puzzles a bit on the easy side, story one of the better BS ones (I didn’t like BS 2 at all in this regard) but at the end all over the place (let’s say charles definitely played GK3 before writing this Grin).

Regarding the weaknesses, something like this must have happened at the Revolution office:

manager A: charles, we can’t do this, the game is too good, it’s too much fun.
charles: I agree, this is a problem, we gotta add something detrimental, else we shred the broken sword legacy, any ideas?
manager B: we could add quick time events.
charles: good call, people hate those, we’ll do that. But it’s probably still not enough.
manager C: hear me out

I’ll play BS4 next, these are all just around $1 to $2 with steam keys btw, huge bang for the buck.

The block puzzles are fine, just too many of them lol. There are some other really clever puzzles in the game. I still contend this is the only broken sword game with compelling villains not counting kahn. The ending was a bit much, but i think this game was originally meant to wrap up the complete series. Ps i love the fact you become sort of friends with labeniou (sp). I also find the irish poet/reporter hilarious.

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Count me among those who think BS3 is a great game (but not among those thinking GK3 is an ugly game, it oozes of atmosphere and looks fine the way it is).

My favorite character in BS3 apart from the main ones is Tristram Hillage at the Cosmic Faerie in Glastonbury. Guitarist Steve with the same surname (of Khan (!) and Gong fame) in pretty much a cameo appearance.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2023-08-07

PM

Now I download the PRIM demo…

A dark world in black and white… it was not so easy to find the way out… now I am lost in not being heard by my father…

I also have Ramas’Call: Twisted timig waiting, it looks interesting to go back to medieval times Smile

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2023-09-15

PM

Beacon Pines. Learned about it by accident, what a beautiful game.

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m currently playing a wonderful 1st-person puzzle game called Submachine Legacy. (By the same guy who developed Slice of Sea, which I liked a lot although I never quite finished it.) I had not heard of this game but others probably have because it’s the remastered version of a series of much older flash games. I think the first one was released in 2005 or ‘06.

Beautiful graphics, eery atmosphere, bizarre and very complex environments wit lots of portals, a mysterious story which is way over my head, puzzles that are not all that hard once you’ve figured out the connections between things.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

The Will of Arthur Flabbington is a very funny adventure that captures the outrageous silliness of the classic 90s adventures like Space Quest and Larry, the first puzzle of the game concerning digging into a toilet and attracting some flies out the window, lol, didn’t know anything about it, haven’t read a review before starting it, just a slam dunk and turned out better than i have wished for.

Justice Kris and Lisanne, will be forgotten

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

TWOAF had its funny moments, a good length, decent difficulty and nice voice acting. I disliked the low res, I expected the music to be better and was a kind of disappointed of some characters and puzzles. Using some moon logic here and there, they’re fair, but not always this exciting and fun to solve. The mundane stuff reminded me of collecting papers in TWP. The game could offer subtile hints for those who think different. Overall it was okay.

Total Posts: 2102

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Sounds like my kind of game Thumbs Up

PC means personal computer

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Doom - 05 December 2023 09:11 AM

I guess so, Doom, but it is not worthy of a five-star review, to be honest, no game is except 3-4 in the history of the genre, or gaming, imho, a full score means, everything; from the original artwork, story, gameplaying design…etc, all the way until it is given the best original soundtrack. Something unimaginable to conceive, actually.

Total Posts: 528

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

luckyloser - 08 December 2023 03:32 PM
Doom - 05 December 2023 09:11 AM

I guess so, Doom, but it is not worthy of a five-star review, to be honest, no game is except 3-4 in the history of the genre, or gaming, imho, a full score means, everything; from the original artwork, story, gameplaying design…etc, all the way until it is given the best original soundtrack. Something unimaginable to conceive, actually.

Care to share which 3-4 those would be?

AKA Charo

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

No, then I would lose the point and we start debating if my choices were worthy

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top