• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Goetia

Total Posts: 515

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Well, I’m glad I got back to the game. Have managed to advance much further now, after finally solving 1 and 2 above. What a great game this is! When it comes to the level of difficulty I’m beginning to think of Goetia as the adventure game equivalent of Dark Souls… Underclued and borderline impossible but highly satisfying!

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

I loved Goetia even though it can be very, very difficult and tricky at times, especially towards the end. But it got the tone right - threatening and scary but not too much so, the atmosphere is great, and I loved that Abigail didn’t have a voice. Also, it was a lot of fun to possess things and float them around. Anyone else wished that someone would show up at the manor so you could scare them with a floating statue of Mary? Smile

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

Oscar - 11 July 2016 08:11 AM

2. The ouija board - I know I need a name but none of the names I’ve tried are working.

Have you tried Abigail’s father’s name?If I remember correctly, that should be the right solution.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Jehane - 12 July 2016 05:55 AM
Oscar - 11 July 2016 08:11 AM

2. The ouija board - I know I need a name but none of the names I’ve tried are working.

Have you tried Abigail’s father’s name?If I remember correctly, that should be the right solution.

That solution didn’t make much sense if you ask me. Tried it after trying almost every other option and was surprised it worked. In the notes you’re told that Abraham had found a spirit in George’s house. I was convinced the goal was to figure out who that spirit was. It makes no sense that it was Abraham himself that communicated via the ouija board. Or does it?

Now I’m completely stuck in a second music based puzzle. Don’t know if it’s more to it than the game communicates. The solution seems obvious, with perhaps a couple of possible variations, but I’ve spent over an hour on it and am completely out of ideas.?

So the question is: quit playing or use a wt?:)

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

I was a little confused as well that this particular name was the solution to that puzzle - I wasn’t expecting that one.

As for the music puzzle: Which one are you stuck at? I think there are three music puzzles throughout the game; I had to use a WT for all three of them because I’m not very good at that sort of puzzle.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jehane - 12 July 2016 05:53 AM

I loved Goetia even though it can be very, very difficult and tricky at times, especially towards the end. But it got the tone right - threatening and scary but not too much so, the atmosphere is great, and I loved that Abigail didn’t have a voice. Also, it was a lot of fun to possess things and float them around. Anyone else wished that someone would show up at the manor so you could scare them with a floating statue of Mary? Smile

I agree. I just finished the main puzzle at the church in Eldwitch and it was one of the most satisfying I’ve seen in a recent game. Not too hard.

I think part of the difficulty comes from having the clues spread over a large area (the codex helps) and that sometimes you can’t solve a puzzle until you’ve done something somewhere else.

As for possessing items, it can be a little buggy. I’ve just dropped the pole through the hatch in the church. I’m not sure if I actually need it because I got through the hatch anyway but now it’s in the water and I can’t go to the tower. Hopefully I won’t need to.

Edit: Am I right in thinking I need the pole to burn through the chandelier rope to drop it on the hatch in Eldwitch? If so, I’m screwed.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Oscar - 12 July 2016 08:08 AM

Edit: Am I right in thinking I need the pole to burn through the chandelier rope to drop it on the hatch in Eldwitch? If so, I’m screwed.

I used it for that but not shure it’s absolutely needed. I’ve noticed there may be more than one possible solution to a few of the puzzles/obstacles and this may very well be one of them.

I’m at 98 percent now. Had to use a wt for that music themed puzzle in the observatory and were pretty p***ed at the game after realising what step I had “missed”. Still don’t know why that wheel from Edward’s room was necessary or how I was supposed to know. That’s an hour of my life I’d like to get back… Still love the game as a whole though. Easily the best so far this year.

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

Veovis - 12 July 2016 05:52 PM

I’m at 98 percent now. Had to use a wt for that music themed puzzle in the observatory and were pretty p***ed at the game after realising what step I had “missed”. Still don’t know why that wheel from Edward’s room was necessary or how I was supposed to know. That’s an hour of my life I’d like to get back… Still love the game as a whole though. Easily the best so far this year.

That puzzle was SO annoying. I mean - I’m really bad at music puzzles to begin with but this was simply not doable for me, the main difficulty being that I couldn’t remember the melody, no matter how often I listened to it. I had to use a WT as well because I couldn’t figure it out on my own - the same happened with the other music puzzles in the game.

As for alternate solutions: There are some, IIRC they’re related to the power-ups you can unlock.

As for the clues scattered all over the place: The Codex helped a lot but nevertheless I found myself scribbling and drawing throughout the game. When I reached the end, I had about 40 pages of notes and drawings Smile Towards the end, I found the puzzles a bit difficult, especially when I had to return to one room in order to get a specific item. It took me about half an hour to find the room because it’s one of those you hardly ever enter.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I just finished Goetia. Took me about 7 days or so.

The game itself has some very smart riddles and, with a few exceptions (I’m looking at you Haborym “shreded amulet in pieces” riddle), all of them fair. The difficulty was on the hard part for the most of the game and this was something I liked a lot.
The dialog was nicely written and, though no audio, I liked the child-ish approach of the protagonist in most situations. The music was very subtle too.
The controls were really easy, but the manor was huge and a better map would have been kindly appreciated. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t teleport through the map in any room I wanted (demon-free of course), but only in a small number of them. It certainly made it hard to navigate.
The storyline was nice, though I thought the resolution was very weak IMHO.
From all the above, I think that the weakest point of the game was the fact that while there were 1-2 cases where I felt “unease” (The first time was when I met Malphas and the second time was when I first got down the Fields of Stone), the game generally failed to deliver any strong emotions to me through its atmosphere, its protagonist or its storyline. I felt that I was just moving a white blob-reading journals-solving riddles.

All in all, it was a very nice game, with its hard/fair riddles being its best part that I enjoyed a lot! Smile

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

The puzzles are what make Goetia so awesome, even though some were a bit unfair and way too hard. Still, it was fun playing around with them. I also liked the atmosphere a lot, and even though I didn’t develop any strong emotions apart from “Oh, what a nice girl, let’s help her solve this mystery”, I also liked Abigail a lot - which really is a compliment for the devs. I mean, she’s nothing but a blob of white light and she doesn’t even have a voice. Still, I liked her.

As for the ending: I must admit that I was quite surprised - I didn’t see that coming. In hindsight, it’s SO obvious but when I played it I was like “What?? Are you serious?” Grin

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The lack of strong emotions is a plus point for me. I like the detached, alienating feel of the world. I would have been annoyed if the developers had tried to pull my heart-strings in a cheap way.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Goetia 2 is out today!

Goetia was one of my favorite games of the past decade. Who else is going to play the sequel?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Seems to have arrived without any fanfare, even the Steam profile is super barebone with nothing in the forums etc. Really weird to be honest.

Anyway ... call me petty, but it’s apparently a romantic story, so no thanks ^^

Total Posts: 5604

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I would play it, but it looks like there’s not a Mac version.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 845

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Pyoro-2 - 20 May 2022 04:22 AM

Seems to have arrived without any fanfare, even the Steam profile is super barebone with nothing in the forums etc. Really weird to be honest.

Anyway ... call me petty, but it’s apparently a romantic story, so no thanks ^^

If not for romance, chances are that most of the Adventure Gamers forum members wouldn’t exist, so please watch what you say.

I was spawned in one of Laverne’s anatomy experiments, so I personally don’t take any umbrage. But some might. So tread lightly. With your legs akimbo. And your eyes a-google. And your hair all a-frizzle. Mmmm-mmm!That Laverne—whadda woman!
(Sorry, I became distracted there. Enjoy the rest of your day.)

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top