• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interplay - 07 January 2013 02:04 PM

I really wish the Big Fish Games website made it easier to see who the developer was on these games.  I don’t usually download random demos, so unless it’s a well-known series or I hear about it here, I have no idea when some of the good developers like Elephant or Alawar come out with new games.

I prefer the secuirty of downloading from BFG. No unwanted goodies. However, almost all of the independent game contractors, e.g. Alawar and Elephant and, most certainly, ERS, have their own websites. I try to check in with them once a month to see if they have anything new. You’re correct. It would be so much easier if you were allowed to type Alawar into the search field and come up with a list of all Alawar games in the BFG catalog.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Flutz - 07 January 2013 04:31 PM

Can anyone recommend some good, casual, adventure-lite games on Android that aren’t HOGs?

I wish I could. It would seem that most casual/adventure-lite games being ported to smartphones/tablets are being ported to Apple products. You mentioned the original Azada game. There is a “new” one, Azada - In Libro as well as another ERS game, Dark Alleys - Penumbra Motel, that meet your HOG-free environment requirement. Both, as was the original Azada, are produced by ERS Games. I would check the ERS websaite to see if either has been ported to Android devices.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Here is some catch up posting. During the BFG buy on/get one free sale on CE games I picked up Lake House - Children of Silence and MCF - Shadow Lake. I think everyone knows my opinion of the latter. CE or SE: no way to justify buying Shadow Lake.

I really liked Children of Silence. I played the Bonus episode today. It did a really good job of defining why and how the mask came into existence. However: Seeing the old bastard sailing away with his granddaughter scott free even though he was an admitted murderer, seemed totally out of character with the rest of the game’s “moral dillema.”

Also finished the new Phantasmat. Per prior posts, I didn’t think it would be good, and I was not disappointed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Flutz - 07 January 2013 04:31 PM

Can anyone recommend some good, casual, adventure-lite games on Android that aren’t HOGs? I bought the first Snark Busters and thought it was very well made, but there were just way too many parts you had to find on each screen. Is there anything similar to the first Azada (but hopefully with a bit more difficulty)? Thanks in advance.

I don’t usually enjoy playing these games on mobile devices.  I think it may be slim pickings on Android.

However, the Big Fish Unlimited service is available on Android devices.  It should probably have some of what you’re looking for.  There is a free version.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We were talking about favorite publishers, and how we can’t find them by name on BFG. Here is a list of publishers and the games they are probably most recognized with.

This list is not all-inclusive. There are some one-off publishers who did a really good game such as Emerald City Confidential.

If you run across a game you like by a publisher not listed here, post the information. Perhaps we can build a decent database. That way we’ll know when new games are coming out from the publishers we like. The following list does not include web links. I’ll do that sometime in the future.

Daily Magic Productions - Dark Dimension series
Alawar -
Elephant Games -
ERS Games -
Orneon - Agency of Anamolies
ArtifaxMundi - Enigmatis
Artogon - Shiver series
Boolat Games - Timeless Town
Eipix - Death on the Silver Screen
Floodlight Games - Women’s Murder Club
MagicIndie - Lonely Hearts Murders
MumboJumbo - Angelica Weaver/Midnight Mysteries
Vogat - Faces

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Thanks for the replies. I’ll check those out.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

rtrooney - 08 January 2013 07:33 PM

We were talking about favorite publishers, and how we can’t find them by name on BFG. Here is a list of publishers and the games they are probably most recognized with.

This list is not all-inclusive. There are some one-off publishers who did a really good game such as Emerald City Confidential.

If you run across a game you like by a publisher not listed here, post the information. Perhaps we can build a decent database. That way we’ll know when new games are coming out from the publishers we like. The following list does not include web links. I’ll do that sometime in the future.

Daily Magic Productions - Dark Dimension series
Alawar -
Elephant Games -
ERS Games -
Orneon - Agency of Anamolies
ArtifaxMundi - Enigmatis
Artogon - Shiver series
Boolat Games - Timeless Town
Eipix - Death on the Silver Screen
Floodlight Games - Women’s Murder Club
MagicIndie - Lonely Hearts Murders
MumboJumbo - Angelica Weaver/Midnight Mysteries
Vogat - Faces

I love the idea, although I think a simple list may get a bit unwieldy.  I wonder if we can’t do a shared spreadsheet or something, though?  Maybe a Google doc spreadsheet like this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AohuMgk8BGFTdExjM2s4eGdJRGZmcWJxMUNoUTlMZVE

That’s just a quick mock-up, more details, columns, etc can always be added.  Anyone can edit the list as long as they have the link.

Just Finished - Grim Tales: The Bride CE, Sacra Terra: Angelic Night CE
Currently Playing - Angelica Weaver: Catch Me If You Can

Casual Game Developer List
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AohuMgk8BGFTdExjM2s4eGdJRGZmcWJxMUNoUTlMZVE#gid=0

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Chudah - 09 January 2013 10:18 AM

I love the idea, although I think a simple list may get a bit unwieldy.  I wonder if we can’t do a shared spreadsheet or something, though?  Maybe a Google doc spreadsheet like this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AohuMgk8BGFTdExjM2s4eGdJRGZmcWJxMUNoUTlMZVE

That’s just a quick mock-up, more details, columns, etc can always be added.  Anyone can edit the list as long as they have the link.

I think that is a great idea. It’s an open-source spreadsheet. My only problem is how to keep it front and center. You know how there are “sticky topics” when you first log on such as the Adventure Game Discount Thread. I wonder if there is a way to do that within a thread? So, whenever someone logs onto the Casual Games thread, whatever page they’re on will have the database link as the top message.

That, I think, would be the ideal way to go. Otherwise everyone would have to remember that the link was in message X on page Y. I will be happy to look into it. But let’s do a quick “throw it out to the masses for comment!” Smile Thanks again for a fantastic proposal…and for making the effort to show how it could be done.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

rtrooney - 09 January 2013 07:16 PM
Chudah - 09 January 2013 10:18 AM

I think that is a great idea. It’s an open-source spreadsheet. My only problem is how to keep it front and center. You know how there are “sticky topics” when you first log on such as the Adventure Game Discount Thread. I wonder if there is a way to do that within a thread? So, whenever someone logs onto the Casual Games thread, whatever page they’re on will have the database link as the top message.

That, I think, would be the ideal way to go. Otherwise everyone would have to remember that the link was in message X on page Y. I will be happy to look into it. But let’s do a quick “throw it out to the masses for comment!” Smile Thanks again for a fantastic proposal…and for making the effort to show how it could be done.

Hey thanks!  I just figured it’d be easier if everyone could pitch in, and open source seemed the way to go.  Until we can get it “stickied” somewhere, I’ll add a link to my signature.

I started editing the list a little more, added a couple columns that might be helpful and links to developer websites.  I don’t have a ton of time right now, but I’ll start filling in more over the weekend.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AohuMgk8BGFTdExjM2s4eGdJRGZmcWJxMUNoUTlMZVE#gid=0

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

chudah - I love the idea of a developer list.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sticky notes may not be possible within a thread. And, even if that was possible, getting a sticky at the top of every page in a thread is really unlikely. Thus, attaching a database link to the poster’s signature may be the only way to go. Seeing as this is Chudah’s brainchild, I’m asking permission to add the link to my signature. I suggest that anyone interested in contributing to the database do the same.

The question on this topic can be found on the Site Feedback forum.

On the gaming front I’ve played two demos recently. The first, The Missing: Island of Lost Ships had some real promise. Unfortunately, one of the main characters is afflicted with some mental and physical deficiencies, along with the stereotypical speech impediments that unfortunately go hand-in-hand with said deficiencies. The graphics, sound, gameplay, etc, are average to above average. But 15 minutes into the demo I was so disgusted by the character’s depiction that I pulled the plug. The game’s developer, Sulus Games, many never have thought that this character would be offensive, but it is, in the worst way. To me, this is a No Buy under any circumstances.

The second is Grim Tales - The Stone Queen CE. Has none of the problems mentioned above. The only problem, and it’s a big one, is that Grim Tales - The Wishes was produced just last year. In that game Brandon, your nephew, was about seven years old. In this game, you are again tasked with saving Brandon. Only he is now eighteen. Time flies! Smile Everything I’ve seen so far makes this a definite buy as a SE. I have no way of knowing whether the CE bonus game material would be worth the extra $$. But I might give it a shot if there is another deep-discount sale on CEs. Otherwise, I’ll wait. Full review to follow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

rtrooney - 10 January 2013 07:00 PM

Sticky notes may not be possible within a thread. And, even if that was possible, getting a sticky at the top of every page in a thread is really unlikely. Thus, attaching a database link to the poster’s signature may be the only way to go. Seeing as this is Chudah’s brainchild, I’m asking permission to add the link to my signature. I suggest that anyone interested in contributing to the database do the same.

Sure, anyone who’s interested at all, feel free to add it to your signature or share it with friends.  The more contributors, the better.  Wink

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

But 15 minutes into the demo I was so disgusted by the character’s depiction that I pulled the plug. The game’s developer, Sulus Games, many never have thought that this character would be offensive, but it is, in the worst way. To me, this is a No Buy under any circumstances.

Now I’m gonna have to demo this just because you have me so curious. >.<  Damn my curiosity!

The second is Grim Tales - The Stone Queen CE. Has none of the problems mentioned above. The only problem, and it’s a big one, is that Grim Tales - The Wishes was produced just last year. In that game Brandon, your nephew, was about seven years old. In this game, you are again tasked with saving Brandon. Only he is now eighteen. Time flies! Smile Everything I’ve seen so far makes this a definite buy as a SE. I have no way of knowing whether the CE bonus game material would be worth the extra $$. But I might give it a shot if there is another deep-discount sale on CEs. Otherwise, I’ll wait. Full review to follow.

I’m working through the bonus chapter to Grim Tales: The Bride CE, which I found the game to be phenomenal all the way up until the abrupt ending.  I mean, would it really have taken that much development time to add in 20 seconds of dialog to wrap things up a bit?  I would have seriously been upset if I’d just bought the SE.  Anyhow, I’ll give more in-depth thoughts on the whole game once I’m done with the bonus.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Well, I just played through Mystery Trackers: The Four Aces.  What a quality game!  If I had played the game in 2012, I’m sure it would have made my year end list.  Anyway, I know it’s been mentioned before, so I’ll say no more.  Gotta love that Elephant Games. 

But I will use it to segue to talk about casual game difficulty again.  It’s obviously common with current releases to have different difficulty settings (usually 3): eliminating sparkles, not allowing hints and skips, etc.  The two most recent games I played handled difficulty settings in different but interesting ways.  Four Aces has not 3, but 4 different difficulty settings.  The hardest is called “detective mode” and it goes the huge extra step of eliminating the cursor changes over hot spots.  That’s right, they’ve purposefully taken us back to the pixel hunt days.  This makes the game much, much more difficult.  No more magnifying glasses over an area to investigate closer, no more little hands over items you can pick up.  This especially increases the difficulty in the HOG scenes where you have to combine or use one HO on another.  Anyway, I got downright stuck in this game about two-thirds through trying to find the item I had missed (like adventure-game stuck, which never happens in casual games).  I finally found it (damn you, microchip!), but I loved getting stuck in a casual game. 

Now, let me contrast this with Phantasmat: Crucible Peak.  Their hardest difficulty setting is different.  It eliminates the helpful hints that pop up when you click on something that needs to be solved (“I’ll need some hedge trimmers to see what’s behind those bushes.”)  This also greatly increases the difficulty.  It makes you figure out the puzzle game logic behind some of the item combinations, much as you would in a traditional adventure game.  But, importantly, unlike earlier ERS games, you still get the descriptive text when you click on non-important items to add to the backstory, it only eliminates the hints.

When I played Four Aces, I kept wishing that they would eliminate the text hints as well as the other game had (Well, I guess I would have thought of using my pet dog there at some point, but thanks for letting me know what to do). 

So, what I’m really wishing is that future games will incorporate both approachs.  No hot spot identification, and no text hints when you click on objects.

That’s right, I’m ready for the fifth difficulty setting!  Seriously, though, if any developers look at these forums, please bring it on!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interplay - 11 January 2013 09:20 PM

That’s right, I’m ready for the fifth difficulty setting!  Seriously, though, if any developers look at these forums, please bring it on!

Please don’t take this as being sarcastic, becasue that is not how I intend it. But, the fifth level of difficulty you’re talking about sound like a “standard” i.e. non-casual adventure game. Unless I missed something.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top