• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

SpaceVenture (The Two Guys from Andromeda) 

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GateKeeper - 21 September 2022 06:19 AM

Isn’t SpaceVenture based on 3D assets?

I don’t think any experience about a 2D game from a decade ago is going to do much good there. In fact, the only connection there seems to be Space Quest, and that’s not much to build on.

Beyond that, I’m sure there are some people in the modding circles who could at least create some hacks to make the game a bit better, like they do with other games. But is SpaceVenture motivating enough for them, I don’t necessarily think so.

Incinerations used 3D in cutscenes, and they were pretty impressive for a freeware game. I think they could at least land a hand in porting the game to an easy-to-use engine. I also liked the way Access and Cyan supported Tex Murphy and Riven 3D fan projects, with the latest being rumored to become an official release. So there are plenty of talents lurking around, one just needs to ask. Then again, it seems like they didn’t even bother to check bug reports from their testers, so I also don’t have high hopes for a good rerelease.

Well, Adventure Creator one time license is 71 euros, so as far full fledged adventure kits go, it’s cheap as dirt. And if you are happy with basic functionalities, then it’s more or less a code free development environment. 
(I did this in a weekend, no coding on the basic game functions needed

)

Wow, this is good! ENCODYA was also created using this engine and coded by just one man (the one who wrote and designed it) — and it plays a lot like SpaceVenture.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I watched the semi review from the space Quest historian and they’re definitely seems to be cool stuff in the game. I hope you all are right and somebody can fix this up for a true retail version where it’s not a buggy mess.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 September 2022 03:00 PM

I watched the semi review from the space Quest historian and they’re definitely seems to be cool stuff in the game. I hope you all are right and somebody can fix this up for a true retail version where it’s not a buggy mess.

Playing SpaceVenture is like going to an incredible movie that scratches the right itches - but with an annoying dude in back of you interrupting every awesome scene. So much good stuff here, but the immersion and nostalgia are interrupted CONSTANTLY by bugs. Hoped to finish this before RTMI, but the bugs got in the way, so it’s now taken a back seat. I really hope this can all be fixed.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I have not played Spaceventure yet (I plan to when it is officially released and hopefully patched up a bit), but this thread reminded me to finally play Space Quest Incinerations.

Man, what a game! With a little more budget to garnish the edges, this could *easily* have been released as part of the Sierra canon instead of Space Quest 6 (well, if you can overlook the fact that it builds on a plot element of SQ6) and stood toe-to-toe if not head-and-shoulders above most other games they released from 1994 onward, including SQ6 and KQ7.
Enjoyable puzzles with just enough moonlogic, a mildly confusing but still very fun time travel plot, really really funny very very often, perfect length…If you’re not laughing and sucked in (by a plunger) in the first 5 minutes…man, go play Myst or watch an Ingmar Bergman movie or something.

Space Quest Incinerations seems like such a labor of love…it didn’t have to be this good, with all those great animated cut-scenes and extra little touches and single-use rooms and animations that could have been creatively bypassed, but they’re all there and the game is all the more excellent because of them.

Now I’m itching to play Vohaul Strikes Back and the new one…Xenon something or the other. Does anyone know of a non-shady place where I can download VSB? The only mirror working on the website (mirror 4) wanted me to install some software that I’d rather not.

*I like both Myst and some Ingmar Bergman movies.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Baron_Blubba - 15 October 2022 11:01 AM

Now I’m itching to play Vohaul Strikes Back and the new one…Xenon something or the other. Does anyone know of a non-shady place where I can download VSB? The only mirror working on the website (mirror 4) wanted me to install some software that I’d rather not.

https://www.sqvsb.com/download

All except installer mirror 3 seem to be working for me, and they don’t try to install any other stuff.
Obviously I use adblockers and such.

The other game you are referring to is called Space Quest: A Son of Xenon which is a prequel to Space Quest 1.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2436-a-son-of-xenon-a-space-quest-prequel/

In case you want to have a different take on the same subject, there is also the old Space Quest 0: Replicated.

https://www.wiw.org/~jess/replicated.html

And if that isn’t enough, there’s also Space Quest: The Lost Chapter. The official site no longer exists, but there’s a copy of it in archive.org, including the actual game.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190201202724/http://frostbytei.com/space/download.html

And I guess everyone knows about the fan remake of Space Quest 2?

https://infamousadventures.itch.io/space-quest-ii-vga-remake

If those aren’t enough, there’s another series called Cosmos Quest, which is strongly influenced by Space Quest, but is its own thing otherwise.

https://www.cq-game.com

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Thanks, Gatecree—keeper. I was aware of all of those except Cosmos Quest, but, as you’ve just pointed out, there are *so* many that I have a hard time keeping track of ‘em all. Incinerations is the first fan-fiction SQ game I’ve played, and I also played the SQ 2 remake. That one was pretty good, but I felt like there was a lot of give-and-take with the new interface; it enhanced some parts of the game, but several of the puzzles were not as much fun to solve as in the original. It’s much more of an intuitive aha! moment to type ‘dive’ than to click the hand icon on the swamp.
And then there’s the vine maze puzzle.

Is there another adventure game series out there that has such a dedicated and prolific fanbase, which produces so many games—and actually, so many *quality* games (from what I hear) as the Space Quest fanbase?

Maybe I’ll play them all and do a rankings post, inclusive of all SQ games, fan and originals.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Baron_Blubba - 15 October 2022 01:13 PM

Is there another adventure game series out there that has such a dedicated and prolific fanbase, which produces so many games—and actually, so many *quality* games (from what I hear) as the Space Quest fanbase?

Not taking the quality factor into consideration, Maniac Mansion probably has the most fan games. The Maniac Mansion Mania project alone has over 100 fan games.

https://www.maniac-mansion-mania.com/index.php/en/

King’s Quest has a good number of fan games, but most of them are remakes, like King’s Quest III has (at least) three different remakes.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I know of two KQIII fan games—the Tierra/AGD/Himalaya one, and the one from Infamous Adventures. Both were very good. I preferred the Himalaya one, but was also a little disappointed because it wasn’t nearly as embellished as their KQII remake. That said, KQII was originally very sparse, while KQIII had a relative plump amount of meat on its bones, so perhaps it did not need as much embellishment in the remake.

Anyway, to bring this back to the Space Questy topic, I the KQII remake has long been far and away my favorite freeware adventure game, and I didn’t think any fan game would ever surpass it. Incinerations comes very close!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Baron_Blubba - 15 October 2022 09:21 PM

I know of two KQIII fan games—the Tierra/AGD/Himalaya one, and the one from Infamous Adventures.

The third one is King’s Quest III+ from Crystal Shard.

It’s not completed, but it’s available anyway.

http://crystalshard.net/index.php?p=8&s=80

http://crystalshard.net/old/kq3.htm

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

While I wasn’t a huge fan of Vohaul Strikes Back (the humour it has just didn’t work for me)
It is otherwise very well made game. Incinerations is the better game of the two, but that said, both of them could have been released as a commercial project with ease, as they do have better proeduction values than some commercial adventure ganes.

On this topic, another very well made fan made adventure is Zak McKracken Between Time and Space. While that doesn’t really manage to capture the comedy of the original Zak, it is otherwise very well made and polished game.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh yes, Incinerations was really good (except for the title), a very polished tribute with lots of new content worthy of a commercial sequel. Why I thought the Andromeda Guys should’ve contacted the team to help with SpaceVenture — Incinerations was certainly a better experience, at least from what I remember. And I also enjoyed it more than Vohaul Strikes Back which just wasn’t all that funny or interesting story/puzzle-wise.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top