• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Top 100 Adventure Games (Voting Ended) 

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 04 July 2022 02:44 PM

i think people are entitled to register to the site just to give their vote, unless there is something fishy about certain ones, like spamming or trying to push a certain result, which if anyone intends to, it would absolutely reek eventually, and will be able to spot them out.

I think there’s a difference between someone who ‘lurks’ on the site registering because they’d like to vote; & recruiting voters, who wouldn’t normally visit here, by advertising on other sites which I really don’t agree with.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Beyond a Steel Sky
Beyond Two Souls
Blade Runner
Broken Sword 1
Broken Sword 2
Broken Sword 3
Broken Sword 4
Broken Sword 5 (can’t help it I love them all)
Detroit Become Human
Dreamfall
Dreamfall Chapters
Gabriel Knight
Gabriel Knight 2
Gabriel Knight 3
Game of Thrones
Grim Fandango
Heavy Rain
Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth
Life is Strange 1
Monkey Island 3
Monkey Island 4
Runaway A road Adventure
Runaway 2
Runaway 3
Sam & Max Season 1
Sam & Max Season 2
Sam & Max Season 3
Silence: The Whispered World
State of Mind
Still Life
Syberia The World Before (last adventure game I played and it was damn impressive)
Tales From Monkey Island
Tales From the Borderlands
The Book of Unwritten Tales
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
The Longest Journey
The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief
The Walking Dead
The Wolf Among Us

The ones I can think of right now

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 04 July 2022 03:56 PM

i think people are entitled to register to the site just to give their vote, unless there is something fishy about certain ones, like spamming or trying to push a certain result, which if anyone intends to, it would absolutely reek eventually, and will be able to spot them out.

I think there’s a difference between someone who ‘lurks’ on the site registering because they’d like to vote & recruiting voters from other sites who wouldn’t normally visit here,

wow, is that even a thing. in that case, it could be a problem, of course Foot in mouth

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

That’s essentially what you’re doing if they don’t look at this site.  Smile

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 04 July 2022 03:56 PM

I think there’s a difference between someone who ‘lurks’ on the site registering because they’d like to vote; & recruiting voters, who wouldn’t normally visit here, by advertising on other sites which I really don’t agree with.

Some years ago, a developer asked the participants in a CP led by you to vote for his game in a competition between *devs* at another site. One of the rules was that voters had to play all the games in a specific category. You had no qualms, none whatsoever, about registering at that site with the sole purpose of voting for a specific game. You didn’t even know the names of the other games that were nominated in the competition!

You’ve accused me at least 4 times of “insulting” this developer because I told him his trolling for votes was unethical. So that’s quite a U-turn you’re making here.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Karlok,
Attacking Chrissie doesn’t help me decide the issue about bringing in outsiders to vote here.  Do you have an opinion about TheLongestJourney’s question?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I think people joining for the specific purpose of influencing a list has been known to attract some trouble. Then again: anyone’s free to create an account and join the forum.

Setting the parameters for the kind of list, for this particular site, seems complicated enough for now.

Should there be some ground rules for adding to the list?

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’d probably admire deeply the person who goes to the trouble of creating a fake account, making another list of 100 games and disguising it so as not to be recognized. That’s some dedication to influencing a meaningless vote in which there’s literally nothing to be gained. I mean… wow.

Or maybe I’m underestimating the stake we all can have in winning.

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@LadyKestrel:
Like I said before, I’m not interested in participating in Aggies and this Top 100. And we always seem to manage spending far too much time on procedures, definitions, rules and what not for literally everything. But since you ask, I’ll give you my totally irrelevant opinion. I don’t see a problem with people just registering to post their list, this is not a competition, so why not promote the Top 100 on the home page. Like the Aggies. Might attract more players, might be good for AG, who knows.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 04 July 2022 02:15 PM
TheLongestJourney - 04 July 2022 09:17 AM

First off thank you Lady Kestrel for organizing this topic.

I have a few questions.
How are you compiling the results? Is it manually or do you have software to go through people’s lists to tally votes? I notice that some people might write game titles out slightly differently which can be a pain to properly string match later.

To that end, is it okay if I advertise this topic in some adventure game discord channels I’m in? It would be great to have as much participation as possible, but if the tallying is done manually it will be a lot of work, though I guess since everyone’s vote will be public it will be possible to scrape the text for a more automated process.

You’re welcome!

I will be compiling the results manually using an Appleworks database program, which does take time.  I am ambivalent about bringing in those people who would only register to vote and then disappear again.  I don’t mind the extra work so much, but not knowing why they would bother to come here when obviously they prefer other outlets does bother me.  Hold off on that until we see what other members think about it.

I’m not familiar with the Appleworks database program, but hopefully it won’t be too much trouble for you.

I guess I should have known better than to have brought up an issue in this topic instead of the previous one. My intentions were mainly around encouraging people who already have accounts at Adventure Gamers but who no longer read the forums to sign in to vote.

In terms of users creating accounts to submit their lists, there has already been one in this thread (and the user did not submit their list in alphabetical order). Everyone’s joined date is present below their avatar so it will be quite obvious if the topic is suddenly flooded with new accounts.

I will be happy if we get over 100 submissions. Since we’re going with the unweighted system of 1 vote = 1 point, I’m hoping that the games at the bottom of the list will have at least 5 points, 10 would be better, but we’ll see.

I have some vacation this month and there’s a few classic games I want to at least play before making my list so I will likely submit my list closer to the end of the month.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 04 July 2022 07:34 PM

Some years ago, a developer asked the participants in a CP led by you to vote for his game in a competition between *devs* at another site. One of the rules was that voters had to play all the games in a specific category. You had no qualms, none whatsoever, about registering at that site with the sole purpose of voting for a specific game.

There’s a lot of very good high-profile games that have been made & continue to be using the AGS engine. The site dedicated to these, Adventure Game Studio, hold an Annual Award Ceremony where you can register & vote for games in the various categories.  On registering to take part it is made very clear that you are expected to play, or at the very least sample, all of the games.

So yes, following the playthrough of Kathy Rain (5 years ago!) the developer Joel did alert us to the AGS Awards & stated he would appreciate the support. And yes, I registered specifically to vote for this developer’s very first game to support him.

Karlok - 04 July 2022 07:34 PM

You didn’t even know the names of the other games that were nominated in the competition!

I don’t know where that complete fabrication comes from as I did play most of the games & at least sampled the one or two that I didn’t.

To me there’s a difference between registering on a site to support the work of a developer because that’s where you can; & advertising a voting thread for your favourite games. I’m not against people registering to vote, just against advertising as it shouldn’t be necessary for anyone interested in this site.

TheLongestJourney - 05 July 2022 01:57 AM

I guess I should have known better than to have brought up an issue in this topic instead of the previous one. My intentions were mainly around encouraging people who already have accounts at Adventure Gamers but who no longer read the forums to sign in to vote.

In terms of users creating accounts to submit their lists, there has already been one in this thread (and the user did not submit their list in alphabetical order).

There is nothing wrong with your suggestion TheLongestJourney. It’s just that not all of us agree.  Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 05 July 2022 04:36 AM

And yes, I registered specifically to vote for this developer’s very first game to support him.

You were not just “supporting” him, whatever that means. It was a competition between developers. Winning because your family and loyal friends voted for your game instead of fellow developers is clearly wrong. That’s why trolling for votes is explicitly forbidden at most sites.

I don’t know where that complete fabrication comes from as I did play most of the games & at least sampled the one or two that I didn’t.

You didn’t know anything about the other games that were nominated before registering in order to vote for Kathy Rain.

To me there’s a difference between registering on a site to support the work of a developer because that’s where you can; & advertising a voting thread for your favourite games.

So by your reasoning what Kathy Rain’s dev did was unethical because he “advertised a voting thread” and what you did (and other regulars here as well) was fine.

I’m not against people registering to vote, just against advertising as it shouldn’t be necessary for anyone interested in this site.

Nonsense. The overwhelming majority of people who visit AG to read reviews etcetera are not interested in the forums and will never know about the Top 100. Unless it is announced on the front page. Just like the Aggies.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Charophycean - 04 July 2022 10:18 PM

I’d probably admire deeply the person who goes to the trouble of creating a fake account, making another list of 100 games and disguising it so as not to be recognized. That’s some dedication to influencing a meaningless vote in which there’s literally nothing to be gained. I mean… wow.

Or maybe I’m underestimating the stake we all can have in winning.

Yeah Smile I was thinking along those lines as well. And given the relative low profile of our genre, I don’t think we’d attract too many people with intentions beyond giving recognition to their favourite adventure games.

Then again, never bet against the trolls, fans(tm), pepes and dilettantes of the internet.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Putting my two cents in about TLJ’s suggestion. I think it’s fine. Like they said, if spam from new accounts becomes an issue we can easily identify that and discount the problem entries.

About the issue of “recruiting voters” from other sites. That framing implies there’s something shady about it, but so long as the new members are adventure fans giving their honest opinions on the best games then I don’t see an issue. IMO the list becomes more interesting the more of a consensus there is to draw from.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 04 July 2022 10:44 PM

......so why not promote the Top 100 on the home page.

Actually, I don’t find that a bad idea, it’s certainly preferable to advertising elsewhere & at least seen by people actually visiting the site.

Re the AGS Awards, yes it might well be a competition between developers & I’m not sure that it’s not just developers who are eligible to nominate games, but certainly it’s open to gamers as well as developers to vote for the nominated games. 
Prior knowledge of the game titles is not required beforehand but as already said you are expected to play through or sample all of the nominated games before casting votes regardless of whether you registered initially because you’d like to acknowledge the merits of a game you’ve just played.
Incidentally, I’m not a member of Joel’s family or even a personal friend. I voted for the game because I was impressed with it & I did vote for other nominated games too.

I don’t regard a post by a developer drawing attention to the AGS Awards towards the end of a playthrough dedicated to his game & clearly enjoyed by most of the participants as trolling.

Vegetable Party - 05 July 2022 06:20 AM

.....I don’t think we’d attract too many people with intentions beyond giving recognition to their favourite adventure games.

I’d like to think that but there has been many incidents of people registering on the site to post spam. Yes, it’s pointless but they do it anyway. 

PlanetX - 05 July 2022 08:00 AM

About the issue of “recruiting voters” from other sites. That framing implies there’s something shady about it,.......

The ‘framing’ wasn’t intended to imply anything shady at all just to make a point (badly obviously!) 
Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top