• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Top 100 Adventure Games (Voting Ended) 

Total Posts: 848

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Advie - 02 August 2022 04:01 PM

Awesome taste here.
i am glad Shardlight was given some love, wouldn’t have ever expected it when i had it in my list that anyone would mention it, this game soundtrack should own a Grammy, plus the KQ post-apocalyptic atmosphere was so well integrated and kinda original.

many AGs for me to discover from the whole list thru the upcoming years for sure

and what an achievement, LK, Rock ON.

I thought Shardlight was brilliant. Anyone who likes classic Lucas Arts/Sierra style adventure games and hasn’t played it ought to give it a try. Francisco Gonzalez (the game’s creator) is one of the best story writers in the genre today, and that includes characters and dialogue script. Wonderful atmospheric art, and decent puzzles and challenge. I really liked this one.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Chrissie, i don’t see this as a catch 22 Laughing, a 22-list is not bad
but seriously, it is all just about if LK or somebody is willing to get it done

yeaH, BB, i am thinking of replaying it any time now..

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Advie - 04 August 2022 05:14 AM

is there a chance we can pit the top 20 against each other to get a final certain order Tongue..
yeah, we can never be satisfied

Is there anyone left who was a fly-on-the-wall when staff created the original listing. I would wager that the sequencing decisions took at least three times as long as deciding which games to include did.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Advie - 04 August 2022 05:14 AM

is there a chance we can pit the top 20 against each other to get a final certain order Tongue..

I fail to see the point of doing that at this point.

There were different voting/counting methods suggested that would more or less automatically create the ranking. This one was chosen, and the results are as accurate as that system allows.

Also, the point was to create new top 100, so why limit the final rankings for top 20 only?

I don’t see too many being interested to vote in that either. I didn’t vote for Gabriel Knight or Grim Fandango, so I couldn’t be bothered to vote what ranking those two games get in “the final top 20”, as I consider both games overrated. I’m sure many feel the same way about other games that they voted, or didn’t vote for.

I’m sure no one would mind if you create a new thread for that voting and create a voting system that creates a true ranking. But as it has been pointed out, because the original voting didn’t attempt to create a true ranking, you start up your top 20 voting with 22 games, so it’s flawed even before a single vote has been given. So personally I fail to see the point of doing that at all.

Now, if you want to create a new voting, how about top insert-a-number-here about adventure game series? So, people wouldn’t be voting for individual games, but game series? I don’t think that has been done ever before.

Of course we already know that the top 3 would be:
1. Monkey Island
2. Broken Sword
3. Gabriel Knight
So I don’t think there’s anything surprising coming there, although what happens behind top 5 might be interesting.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Thank you Lady K!
I’m happy with how the list turned out even if it’s a bit as expected. I wish we had a bit more participation. Surely we have more than 33 Patrons or 33 people who vote for the Aggies each year. I’m guessing that no notice on the main page is a huge drawback.

In terms of the results, I’ve played and enjoyed everything with more than 15 votes. The first ones I haven’t played are the Discworld games because they aren’t available digitally. Hopefully they come to GOG soon.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i guess you have a point Gatekeeper, if you were here (i am sure you were) while making Bogi’s list, pitting started early so there was a chance after the compiling stage, to pit more than 100 games against each other, which make sense more than just pitting (the top) 20.

good point party pooper Tongue

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sorry I didn’t participate, but I am absolutely abducted testing the official Spanish translation for My Time at Sandrock (almost 200 hours played and counting…)

But I am glad my favourite adventure game of all time is the one with more votes.

Thanks Lady K for all your effort and thanks everyone who helped by voting.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Another shoutout to Lady K for the work she put in, it’s much appreciated.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 05 August 2022 02:07 AM

Now, if you want to create a new voting, how about top insert-a-number-here about adventure game series? So, people wouldn’t be voting for individual games, but game series? I don’t think that has been done ever before.

Of course we already know that the top 3 would be:
1. Monkey Island
2. Broken Sword
3. Gabriel Knight
So I don’t think there’s anything surprising coming there, although what happens behind top 5 might be interesting.

Yes, those three. I predict that the following 15 series, defined as more than 2 games, would get the most votes (in no particular order):

Kyrandia - Myst - KQ - SQ - Phoenix Wright - Syberia - Simon - Tex - Blackwell - Carol Reed - Black Mirror - Quest for Glory - Runaway - Larry - Walking Dead.

Iffy: Deponia - Dark Fall - The Room - Journeyman Project

But we’ll never know.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Gatekeeper,
If ever you want to try a list with rankings, I’d gladly hand the task over to you.  It was complicated enough keeping track of the straight forward vote.  I had to edit many of the lists to match my database because many people used alternate or abreviated game names i.e. Monkey Island 1 or Gabriel Knight 2 or alphabetized them under The and A instead of the second word.  I was careful not to miss anything, but, as you found, this still led to some errors.  (The typos were my own.) 

I’m tapped out right now, but if you’re really curious about how people would rank all the series of games, there’s nothing stopping you from starting a new thread to do just that. Smile

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think fans of DOTT will tie it with Maniac Mansion and promote to the first place once again Smile Also The Longest Journey/Dreamfall will definitely make it into Top-5, as well as Syberia, even if most people didn’t like Chapters or the third Syberia. Basically they will vote for the games they love, not series as a whole.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Lady Kestrel - 05 August 2022 02:18 PM

Gatekeeper,
If ever you want to try a list with rankings, I’d gladly hand the task over to you.  It was complicated enough keeping track of the straight forward vote.  I had to edit many of the lists to match my database because many people used alternate or abreviated game names i.e. Monkey Island 1 or Gabriel Knight 2 or alphabetized them under The and A instead of the second word.  I was careful not to miss anything, but, as you found, this still led to some errors.  (The typos were my own.) 

I’m tapped out right now, but if you’re really curious about how people would rank all the series of games, there’s nothing stopping you from starting a new thread to do just that. Smile

Doing another poll too soon would make both of them meaningless.
Another one after a year or two might make sense, although unless there is some factor benefitting newer games (like I described in the other thread), we are going to have the same Monkey Islands and Grim Fandangos all over again.

Of course, that might accurately describe people’s favourite games, I guess.

I don’t want to distract the conversation from the actual games, but doing a score ranking is not much harder than doing a general count.

One way to do it:

1. Copy-paste lists to Excel, A column (voters must use official game names for the reasons you stated).
2. Use fill handle to get scores for the list, B column. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for all lists.
3. After all votes are in, use alphabetical ordering.
4. Use autosum to get scores, C column.
5. Order everything using values in the C column.

I might be interested in trying the scoring method that tries to push newer games up on the list, in other words giving a smaller multiplier the older the game is.
The obvious problem with that is that games can have different release dates on different platforms, in the case of Shenmue PC version, for instance, it’s not even the same decade as the console version!

But that might give at least a small chance for newer games to push the old ones out of the top positions, which was the whole point to begin with.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Another way would be to require people to submit not only their favorite X games, but also to rank them in their order of preference. X = the number of games being submitted.

The game with the most #1 votes gets the #1 slot. Most #2 votes gets the #2 slot, and so on down the line until X slots are filled. It’s done frequently in government elections. It’s called Rank Voting.

Of course it puts a certain burden on the voter to get the ranking right. Mid-vote changes such as “I want to move Grim Fandango from my #5 slot to my #2 slot.” would not be allowed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 05 August 2022 02:28 PM

I think fans of DOTT will tie it with Maniac Mansion and promote to the first place once again Smile

Imo DoTT is just the sequel to Maniac Mansion. I would not call two games a series.

GateKeeper - 05 August 2022 04:15 PM

I might be interested in trying the scoring method that tries to push newer games up on the list, in other words giving a smaller multiplier the older the game is.

Are you serious? I seriously hope not. Such a list would be a parody of itself.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Karlok - 05 August 2022 08:07 PM

Imo DoTT is just the sequel to Maniac Mansion. I would not call two games a series.

Oh yes, I missed that you limited it to 3 games, sorry. Although I wonder how would you count Telltale episodes, or Dreamfall chapters, or Zork games, especially those graphic adaptations that had little to nothing in common.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top