• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Voodoo Detective - Traditionally animated 2D adventure w/ Peter McConnell doing the OST. 

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

I played this for a few hours today, and based on a quick glance at a walkthrough it seems I’m about 2/3 through. So a bit on the short side, but not crazy.

The presentation is awesome. Love the art, music, and acting. Story so far is interesting.

However, puzzles have mostly been straightforward fetch quests. Just got stuck a little bit twice. Once I had the right solution, the game was just being picky. The other was some moon logic.

But overall, not regretting the $15 purchase. Will probably finish it tomorrow.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Snatcher42 - 25 May 2022 03:49 AM

I played this for a few hours today, and based on a quick glance at a walkthrough it seems I’m about 2/3 through. So a bit on the short side, but not crazy.

The presentation is awesome. Love the art, music, and acting. Story so far is interesting.

However, puzzles have mostly been straightforward fetch quests. Just got stuck a little bit twice. Once I had the right solution, the game was just being picky. The other was some moon logic.

But overall, not regretting the $15 purchase. Will probably finish it tomorrow.

So how long would you say it is?

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think I’ll wait for a GOG release and more reviews, of those few currently published at Steam and elsewhere the consensus also seems to be “good, but easy on puzzles and short on length”.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Snatcher42 - 25 May 2022 03:49 AM

I played this for a few hours today, and based on a quick glance at a walkthrough it seems I’m about 2/3 through…...

The presentation is awesome. Love the art, music, and acting. Story so far is interesting…..

I think I’ve got about 2/3rds through too & agree with the above appraisal.

I’ve played for over 5 hours so far so for the price the game will end up being a reasonable length but the lack of challenge doesn’t help. 

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I appreciate the 2 semi reviews, I think this is a skip for me.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

For those of you who already finished or way further into the game - would you mind holding on to your final thoughts until we (or maybe just me) finish? I offered a playthrough (spontaneous, unofficial but still) and some people responded, so we were supposed to play along together and, since the game is new, discover stuff as we go. I appreciate all your input on story, gameplay, music, VO, writing etc. but hold your final thoughts for now. Please and thank you!

I have played for an hour and a half now. Stopped right after doing the “mint trade”.

First impressions - the game looks absolutely stunning, although a few locations have very little interactive spots in them (like the mansion hallway or the bank), every screen is gorgeous. Same goes for voice-over and soundtrack. Voice work is amazing here, it’s such a pleasure to listen to people speak!

Story seems original and interesting so far, curious to see where it goes. The comedy is a big part of the game, so it’s seems to be self-aware with occasional 4th-wall breaking stuff. Not laugh-out-loud funny, but definitely made me smile. (Like when I ordered dinner at the hotel restaurant). Characters are also cartoonishly exaggerated in the same comedic vein, and, so far, I kinda like it. Intrigued by Eartha character at the moment, and I just couldn’t take Lauren Bacall out of my head when talked to Kiki (say, circa “How to Marry a Millionaire”) - again, voices are fantastic. Also, really like that dialogue written with a lots of historical expressions, and I get a kick out of every one. Some are still around by the way, which is also interesting.

I can’t say anything about puzzles yet, because I spent all this time visiting all the open locations and talking to a bunch of people to get the story going (I am investigating, after all). Maybe that speaks for itself, of course, and that’s how the rest of the game will be, but so far I had one joke puzzle (bringing Billy back) that was done solely for comedy purposes, and a few fetch tasks. I do know that I have a book of Voodoo with recipes and spells, and it looks like I’m going to be making those at some point, as I already started collecting ingredients. There were definitely moments where I picked up something before I knew what I needed it for.

The only strange thing I found is the way VD can walk into any business and just start asking people there about the case. Maybe it’s a way to go on an island where many people know each other, but I would’ve spoken to those who is directly (potentially) involved with the case first. Here, however, I can start talking about it with just about anyone. I found it odd.
Oh, and the complaining about the tourists stuff. I understand that it’s a major plot point in-game, but I’ve been hit with it over the head so many times just during the first 90 minutes, that it got a bit tiresome.

Also, a QOL complaint - instead of double-clicking to speed-walk, there’s a “SKIP” button in the top left corner of the screen, so you have to click on where you want to go, then move the cursor up and press “skip” to move faster. If you have to do it several times per screen (they are quite large), then you end up doing that whole cursor shuffle back and forth several times. Same button works for dialogues the same way. I don’t really get the decision between this UI choice.

Overall, so far - I like the game. I haven’t read any reviews, and I won’t until I finish.

Smell you later, big guys, gotta blow!

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

The double click works, too. You don’t have to use the skip button.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Tried it again just now - double-click didn’t work on my computer. Maybe it’s a “me” thing then?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Quote of the Day: You do do Voodoo, don’t you.

I played for 80 minutes yesterday and will play again tonight. I spoke to everyone who wanted to speak to me, did the mint trade and got myself some items for the spells in the book. I agree with you on most counts, DCast. The presentation of the game is very good: eye candy, voice acting, music. (I’d love to hear more piano + harmonica but that’s probably not going to happen.) 

The writing is a mixed bag for me. A bit bland and flat, and then all of a sudden a nasty comment, a snappy retort or a joke. Same goes for the few puzzles I’ve done. In general, RL rules are followed in the game world and of course I expect magic and voodoo stuff in a game like this, but some weird situations and solutions do not make sense. The intro is one example. What’s that fire doing there? If that’s a joke I don’t get it. The entire conversation with Mary is jarring too. Why is he insulting her? To me, it feels like a failed attempt to play the hard-boiled PI and be funny at the same time. 

I wonder if the options tough/shrewd/sensitive at the beginning make any difference to conversations. I chose shrewd.

I haven’t read any reviews either.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

DCast - 25 May 2022 06:17 PM

Tried it again just now - double-click didn’t work on my computer. Maybe it’s a “me” thing then?

Double clicking works for me most of the time. 

BTW, the skipping-by-double-clicking is mentioned in the glossary of Grammy’s book. A small detail that also jars on purpose but this time it made me laugh.

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Jdawg445 - 25 May 2022 07:09 AM

So how long would you say it is?

About 5 hours. There are some harder puzzles toward the end. I enjoyed it. A little short to be a classic, but great first effort for a new studio.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 26 May 2022 09:09 AM

The version I’m familiar with is “You do that voodoo that you do so well.” The line is spoken by Harvey Korman in the movie Blazing Saddles.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m seriously stuck. Frown And need some help. DCast, I don’t know where you are in the game and I don’t want to spoil anything for you. Skeeter, you almost finished it, can you tell me what I missed?

I’ve used a spell on the amulet, talked to everybody about the LeMoon family, gave that woman at the cemetery what she wanted, got the hotel room key, talked to Mary and Kiki. No dialogue options left for anybody. My inventory: amulet, fish gland, screwdriver, camera, money, harmonica. I need to give Kiki evidence of her husband cheating but I can’t do anything with him or the camera.

rtrooney - 26 May 2022 07:07 PM
Karlok - 26 May 2022 09:09 AM

The version I’m familiar with is “You do that voodoo that you do so well.” The line is spoken by Harvey Korman in the movie Blazing Saddles.

The devs must know that line because I quoted an NPC in the game.

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Karlok - 27 May 2022 01:39 AM

I’m seriously stuck. Frown And need some help. DCast, I don’t know where you are in the game and I don’t want to spoil anything for you. Skeeter, you almost finished it, can you tell me what I missed?

I’ve used a spell on the amulet, talked to everybody about the LeMoon family, gave that woman at the cemetery what she wanted, got the hotel room key, talked to Mary and Kiki. No dialogue options left for anybody. My inventory: amulet, fish gland, screwdriver, camera, money, harmonica. I need to give Kiki evidence of her husband cheating but I can’t do anything with him or the camera.

Have you climbed the ladder on the side of the lawyer’s office?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Totally missed it. Thanks Snatcher!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top