• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommendations For Adventure Games?

Total Posts: 845

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m a huge Sierra fan *and* played FF as a kid so it should be one of those rife with nostalgia favorites for me. It’s not. There are a few terrifically funny ideas and moments, a good cast of characters, but the rest of the game is *awful*. So awful that even the story and characters don’t come close to making up for the gameplay and design flaws. It takes place in a tiny game world where you stay for the whole game—there is no adventure. It’s just wake up each day, do another five pixel hunts, restart seven times due to impossible to foresee dead man walking scenarios that make boot-and-cat-and-mouse look like a perfectly fine and benevolently designed puzzle —and then on and on until you reach a very climactic final scene with a horrible arcade sequence. The aforementioned humor: Sometimes it was good, most of the time it was so stupid. Not Spongebob good-stupid. Drunk pervy uncle embarrassing himself at the family reunion stupid, where everyone is looking at him and thinking ‘what are you, five years old and just discovered that making poo jokes gets a reaction?’
Anyway, not worth your time. Try Laura Bow if you want a great open ended game—either of the two.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Since you seem to be fairly new to Adventure Games, and not averse to older games, I would recommend the classics :

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (the comedic aspects are light, but there are here).
Simon the Sorcerer (has a fantasy setting, though, so it might not be up your alley).
Monkey Island 1 and 2 (it’s 95% adventure, 5% ghosts).
Also in a fantasy setting : Hand of Fate (aka The Legend of Kyrandia 2)

And The Dig is great, in my opinion. It’s beautiful and has a nice story, although the characters and dialogs aren’t as good as in other Lucas Arts games. The riddles are a bit closer to a Myst game, but still not that hard.

I also second Primordia. Best recent “classic adventure game” I’ve played.

And finally if you don’t mind a few dead ends, Space Quest 5 is my favorite Sierra game. Very funny, plenty of exploring to do and not too hard or unforgiving.

Really there are so many game to discover, I kinda envy you. Smile

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Ninth - 30 June 2021 09:25 AM

And finally if you don’t mind a few dead ends, Space Quest 5 is my favorite Sierra game. Very funny, plenty of exploring to do and not too hard or unforgiving.

And also a game that was not developed by Sierra.  Laughing

It’s a great game anyway.
From an opening paragraph of a review that I wrote two years ago (and haven’t to this day actually published it anywhere…):
“The fifth installment in the popular Space Quest series seems to hit nearly perfection.”

I must ask though, what are “a few dead ends” in that game? That felt very strange when I read it, because I didn’t encounter any when I played it last time. I checked a Sierra fan site, and they list one. So are there some that are undocumented?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hey, Ninth is back! Hope you’ll stick around a while. Played anything interesting?

35+ games recommended but the OP is playing one nobody mentioned and is asking about another non-recommended game.  Tongue For what it’s worth, Cybergeek, I liked Freddie Pharkas.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 30 June 2021 10:33 AM

For what it’s worth, Cybergeek, I liked Freddie Pharkas.

Same. Al Lowe’s best game, if you ask me.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

For what it’s worth I liked Freddie Pharkas.

First time I ever heard you say that. I’m impressed since it’s one of my all time favorites.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 30 June 2021 06:29 AM

Anyway, not worth your time. Try Laura Bow if you want a great open ended game—either of the two.

I tried “Laura Bow The Dagger Of Amon Ra” it was good but maybe I’m a bit fussy, but I was a bit put off by how you could touch someone without being close to them, at least in the beginning of the game.

Its a shame about Freddy, I had high hopes that would be the cartoony game I was after, and of course it didnt look like it would have spooks in it.

I came across this one “Fenimore Fillmore: 3 Skulls of the Toltecs”
I also was interested in “A New Beginning: Final Cut” and “The Whispered World” what do you think?, I’ve looked into Deponia too but it’s a bit too adult, I want something that I could enjoy but also recommend to my Nephew who has already played and loved DOTT.

He’s not into games with spells either, which makes it a bit hard with games like Simon The Sorcerer,DiskWorld games DOH!

Sorry about all this, I really appreciate all your help you are all fantastic thank you Smile Smile

Total Posts: 845

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

A New Beginning!

You can read all about it in a topic on these forums. You can find it with the search feature.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 01 July 2021 05:58 AM

A New Beginning!

You can read all about it in a topic on these forums. You can find it with the search feature.

Sorry Baron_Blubba are you recommending A New Beginning?

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

Adv_Lvr - 27 June 2021 07:48 AM

Tales of Monkey Island - Also Hilarious, cartoony, with brilliant puzzles. One of TTGs best games.

Heart

I would love to find a game like that without ghosts, I was wondering what game is your avatar from?, it looks familiar.

I wanted to let you all know about a game I found on steam that is discounted at the moment

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13507/Reversion_Trilogy__Soundtracks/

Apparently its a completely Linear game, the first episode seems okay from what I’ve played.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 30 June 2021 09:02 PM

First time I ever heard you say that. I’m impressed since it’s one of my all time favorites.

I liked it, but it’s not one of my favorites.

CyberGeek - 01 July 2021 05:52 AM

Its a shame about Freddy, I had high hopes that would be the cartoony game I was after, and of course it didnt look like it would have spooks in it.

A shame…? Three posters said they liked it. Are you listeneing to the two posters here with the strongest opinions who may give you the impression they’re speaking for everyone, when actually they’re only voicing their own preferences?

I also was interested in “A New Beginning: Final Cut” and “The Whispered World” what do you think?, I’ve looked into Deponia too but it’s a bit too adult, I want something that I could enjoy but also recommend to my Nephew who has already played and loved DOTT.

He’s not into games with spells either, which makes it a bit hard with games like Simon The Sorcerer,DiskWorld games DOH!

More games nobody recommended. You’re doing fine on your own, you know what you want and you really don’t need our help.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2019-09-22

PM

Karlok - 01 July 2021 07:39 AM
rtrooney - 30 June 2021 09:02 PM

I liked it, but it’s not one of my favorites.

CyberGeek - 01 July 2021 05:52 AM

A shame…? Three posters said they liked it. Are you listeneing to the two posters here with the strongest opinions who may give you the impression they’re speaking for everyone, when actually they’re only voicing their own preferences?

More games nobody recommended. You’re doing fine on your own, you know what you want and you really don’t need our help.

Your right I’m sorry I did’nt mention I bought Freddy Farkas on GOG and played it today,its really good, Only died once, Played the SpaceQuest 2 Fan Game with voices that was pretty good too(and free) only noticed it has some adult jokes in it, which is a shame because the rest of the humor is good.

Thanks for all your help,

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Make yourself a favor and play one of the best cartoon adventures ever - Toonstruck.

p.s. Monkey Island take completely lighthearted the whole “zombies and ghosts” theme. Don’t let it stop you from playing these brilliant games. They were made with a lot of care from some of the most brilliant guys in the industry, starting from designers all to way to the background artists and musicians.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I can’t believe that no one has recommended the Gabriel Knight series yet.  It sounds like you’re new enough to adventure games that you probably haven’t played them.  To me, GK1 and GK2 are the cream of the crop of adventure game history.  GK3 is good too, just not on the same extremely high level.

They’re detective-ish games where you’re investigating murders in real life cities (New Orleans, Munich, and Rennes-le-Château respectively), with great plots, interesting characters, and good puzzles and voice acting.  Both are listed in Adventure Gamers’ top 16 games of all time.  (GK2 at #3)

I guess you could say it gets kind of close to the “no ghosts, no zombies” rule as there are some supernatural elements.  But they really aren’t anywhere near as much the focus of the story in the way that zombies are to The Walking Dead, or anything like that.  The vast majority of the story of each game involves investigating people and clues like in any other detective game, with some supernatural themes in the background that only really become extremely relevant near the end.  (i.e. in GK2 you’re hired to investigate a possible werewolf killing, and you really don’t believe in werewolves.  You don’t see a single wolf outside of a zoo for 90% of the game.)

Another game I’d strongly recommend is Resonance.  I thought it was impossible for a new adventure game to make me feel as an adult the same way I did when I played the absolute classic adventure games when I was growing up.  Then I played Resonance and I got that same feeling yet again.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Detective Mosely - 01 July 2021 06:08 PM

I can’t believe that no one has recommended the Gabriel Knight series yet.

Well, he said he prefers cartoon adventures, and not much into “ghosts and zombies”. While GK has no “ghosts and zombies”, it’s still a supernatural game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top