• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

FlorusJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond a Steel Sky (Beneath a Steel Sky sequel)

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Adv_Lvr - 04 January 2022 09:33 PM
Luhr28 - 03 January 2022 08:28 PM
Adv_Lvr - 03 January 2022 08:20 PM

Anyway, if not Broken Sword, what then?

In Cold Blood 2: In Even Colder Blood?

I actually played In Cold Blood. I thought it was OK. I’d play a sequel. Might be fun. We will see what Revolution has in mind hopefully later this year.

Having barely interacted with the AG community before seeing as it’s a really niche genre, I always thought its small fanbase would be less inclined to fall for the rebootitis and sequelitis plaguing contemporary media due to its older age range, but I’m surprised to find support for these itt, at least for Revolution Software’s IPs. I gather most are stoked for Silent Hill 2’s remake too?

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lamb - 12 November 2023 03:52 PM
Adv_Lvr - 04 January 2022 09:33 PM
Luhr28 - 03 January 2022 08:28 PM
Adv_Lvr - 03 January 2022 08:20 PM

Anyway, if not Broken Sword, what then?

In Cold Blood 2: In Even Colder Blood?

I actually played In Cold Blood. I thought it was OK. I’d play a sequel. Might be fun. We will see what Revolution has in mind hopefully later this year.

Having barely interacted with the AG community before seeing as it’s a really niche genre, I always thought its small fanbase would be less inclined to fall for the rebootitis and sequelitis plaguing contemporary media due to its older age range, but I’m surprised to find support for these itt, at least for Revolution Software’s IPs. I gather most are stoked for Silent Hill 2’s remake too?

I loved silent hill 2 when it came out, my fandom for that series and konami are in the toliet, so no.

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

How come? Konami was always a huge thorn in the industry’s and players’ side even before SH1 began its development, with Japanese gamers already calling for a boycott of the company for years then. It meddled with its SH franchise from the start to the point of kicking out the mind behind SH2 for flopping in Japan, pushing for 3 to be an on-rails shooter and then, with the budget already half wasted, splitting up what was left of the team so one half would direct a sequel to 1 (to try and replicate its success) while the other would develop a more actiony 4th entry.

And I also couldn’t care less about the remake. Remakes in general. So why is the chance of a Revolution Software’s IP remake\sequel a Thumbs Up while a Silent Hill one a Thumbs Up ?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lamb - 13 November 2023 08:08 AM

How come? Konami was always a huge thorn in the industry’s and players’ side even before SH1 began its development, with Japanese gamers already calling for a boycott of the company for years then. It meddled with its SH franchise from the start to the point of kicking out the mind behind SH2 for flopping in Japan, pushing for 3 to be an on-rails shooter and then, with the budget already half wasted, splitting up what was left of the team so one half would direct a sequel to 1 (to try and replicate its success) while the other would develop a more actiony 4th entry.

And I also couldn’t care less about the remake. Remakes in general. So why is the chance of a Revolution Software’s IP remake\sequel a Thumbs Up while a Silent Hill one a Thumbs Up ?

Because I like all the sequels to Broken sword to some extent except one game aka number 4. the Remake Graphics look pretty great. I think they are a little bit delusional if they think either one of these two new games are going to bring in a whole swath of new young players but at the same time I love the series. I have just became more dissolution with Konami over time although I don’t completely blame them either. for the record I can see why they were getting tired of kojima’s antics and I’m a huge Metal Gear Solid fan. From my viewpoint Kojima is another developer in a long list of big game developers who don’t respect other people’s money and investment. There’s a reason PlayStation already cut ties with his new studio.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Silent Hill 2 is one of my all time favorite games, but a big part of that is due to the fact that the action difficulty can be set to be very easy and the puzzle difficulty can be set to be relatively hard. In that mode the game pretty much plays like an adventure game. I have no hope that a re-imagined SH2 will allow the same balance. It will likely be aimed at the most action loving type of gamers out there.

The Broken Sword remake on the other hand will obviously just be a modernized version of the original. I expect no real differences between the original and remake when it comes to the fundamentals. Looking forward to it a lot. Almost as much as I’m looking forward to the Riven remake, which I hope will really benefit from a techical modernization. It needs one much more than both BS1 and SH2 really.

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 13 November 2023 05:30 PM

There’s a reason PlayStation already cut ties with his new studio.

Huh? Sony never “cut ties”. His independent studio partnered with Microsoft for a (timed?) exclusive, and Sony tried to get them before without success. Death Stranding was a financial success despite everything so why would Sony sour things with the most renowned name in the industry in which its utterance alone guarantees sales?

Veovis - 14 November 2023 05:42 AM

I have no hope that a re-imagined SH2 will allow the same balance. It will likely be aimed at the most action loving type of gamers out there.

Konami always pushed for western devs to keep that feature. That’s why its latest iteration, Downpour, also had it for both action and puzzles. I don’t see why the current Polish devs under Konami, Blooper Team, would do any different.

Again, it’s rather surprising to me how this community is so open to remakes and sequels of their beloved decades-old franchises. I, for one, don’t share that feeling.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lamb - 14 November 2023 11:11 AM
Jdawg445 - 13 November 2023 05:30 PM

There’s a reason PlayStation already cut ties with his new studio.

Huh? Sony never “cut ties”. His independent studio partnered with Microsoft for a (timed?) exclusive, and Sony tried to get them before without success. Death Stranding was a financial success despite everything so why would Sony sour things with the most renowned name in the industry in which its utterance alone guarantees sales?

Veovis - 14 November 2023 05:42 AM

I have no hope that a re-imagined SH2 will allow the same balance. It will likely be aimed at the most action loving type of gamers out there.

Konami always pushed for western devs to keep that feature. That’s why its latest iteration, Downpour, also had it for both action and puzzles. I don’t see why the current Polish devs under Konami, Blooper Team, would do any different.

Again, it’s rather surprising to me how this community is so open to remakes and sequels of their beloved decades-old franchises. I, for one, don’t share that feeling.

Yes they did, death stranding was not the next big thing/mgs killer lol. Kojima is more interested in hollywood stars and energy drink commercials in his games. But whatever lol.

We dont hate remakes bc we barely ever get them in the adventure game space. They have remastered/remade last of us, 3 times so far and that came out barely a decade ago. Broken sword came out in 96 or 97, and now is getting a remaster, that is a huge difference. Not too hard to see.

Also really why does it matter, unless the original is burned and never seen again. if the broken sword remaster sucks, who cares i got the original cd game. If broken sword 6 sucks, well i will be dissapointed, but that wont diminish my love for the other games. I always found the whole new game/movie ruined my childhood narrative to be juvenile and rather pathetic. I didnt care for the sequel trilogy much but i still really like the star wars that i do enjoy. Or in this case i think kojima enjoys smelling his own farts lol, and he is really self-indulgent, but i still love mgs1 and mgs3. Mgs5 story was meh to me but the gameplay was beyond solid.

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 November 2023 11:33 AM

Yes they did.

Source? Because all sources underline how Sony tried getting his team to prevent them from partnering with Microsoft, but seeing as they wanted to remain indepedent, Sony failed. Kojima never claimed it would be a MGS killer; Sony gave his team a blank check expecting such when he had been trying to kill that franchise since MGS2, and he cleverly used it all to create whatever he wanted with the actors he loved. Now he’s getting a similar check to develop an exclusive for Microsoft while Sony never put out a statement cutting any ties, quite the contrary. Sounds like a win-win for Koji lol.

We dont hate remakes bc we barely ever get them in the adventure game space. They have remastered/remade last of us, 3 times so far and that came out barely a decade ago. Broken sword came out in 96 or 97, and now is getting a remaster, that is a huge difference. Not too hard to see.

So it’s a matter of how many years have passed?

Also really why does it matter

Just wondering. As I’ve previously said I always thought the older demographic of this community would be less inclined to support anything other than creative endevours. After all, it’s new IPs and ideas like Telltale’s TWD that bring this genre back into relevancy, never nostalgia trips. Not that there’s any problem with that mindset mind you, even if I don’t share it.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lamb - 14 November 2023 12:55 PM

Yes they did.

Source? Because all sources underline how Sony tried getting his team to prevent them from partnering with Microsoft, but seeing as they wanted to remain indepedent, Sony failed. Kojima never claimed it would be a MGS killer; Sony gave his team a blank check expecting such when he had been trying to kill that franchise since MGS2, and he cleverly used it all to create whatever he wanted with the actors he loved. Now he’s getting a similar check to develop an exclusive for Microsoft while Sony never put out a statement cutting any ties, quite the contrary. Sounds like a win-win for Koji lol.

So it’s a matter of how many years have passed?

Also really why does it matter

Just wondering. As I’ve previously said I always thought the older demographic of this community would be less inclined to support anything other than creative endevours. After all, it’s new IPs and ideas like Telltale’s TWD that bring this genre back into relevancy, never nostalgia trips. Not that there’s any problem with that mindset mind you, even if I don’t share it.

See I hate The Walking Dead as a game, that’s not even an Adventure game to me, that’s a walking simulator. the first episode of the first season had about two lame puzzles in it, but after that it was basically click a button and QuickTime events.  on top of that they make a grand gesture that your choice matters but then you realize slowly but surely, it doesn’t matter, besides a couple of minor dialogue changes. To me The Walking Dead game has as much in common to an adventure game as Gran Turismo has in common with The Witcher 3. They’re both video games but that’s pretty much where the comparison ends to me.

It’s not really how many years have passed, it’s just the fact that a remake/remaster is happening at all. that is a Trope that has not happened to adventure games yet, and probably never will because we’re such a niche audience to begin with. what company is going to waste time and resources to remake a game that maybe sold 500,000 copies, 30 years ago. To keep it broken sword related the only reason we’re getting a remaster is because AI is handling the vast majority of the upscale. If revolutionary software had to hire actual artists to remake the game or remaster it, we would never see it because they would not get a return on their investment.

The reason I keep saying what I’m saying about Sony and Kojima is because they have a long track record of working together even with Konami before he left. if PlayStation really wanted to keep Kojima and his company they would have. There was strong speculation that they were acquiring Kojima Productions before death stranding came out. I’m not saying the game lost money, what I’m saying is it most likely didn’t meet the sales projections, they expected from Kojima for obvious reasons (it is a high priced/production value Walking simulator). It is the same reason we haven’t seen a sequel to days gone. Days gone actually sold pretty well, but didn’t hit internal sales projections or received the critical praise that Sony wanted it to, so the sequel never saw the light of day.

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 November 2023 02:23 PM

To me The Walking Dead game has as much in common to an adventure game as Gran Turismo has in common with The Witcher 3. They’re both video games but that’s pretty much where the comparison ends to me.

Huh? The TWD game had all the features and mechanics present in most classic adventure games. And despite failing to deliver in the choices-matters department it still surpassed the usual offerings of the genre in that regard. That false equivalency is so odd; those are 2 distinct games in completely different genres featuring a multitude of dissimilar mechanics catering to separate target audiences, while TWD featured everything found in most AGs, was developed by AG fans and had one eye on this community.

It is the same reason we haven’t seen a sequel to days gone. Days gone actually sold pretty well, but didn’t hit internal sales projections or received the critical praise that Sony wanted it to, so the sequel never saw the light of day.

But not only was Death Stranding’s sequel already announced with a teaser at TGA 2022, which is barely 3 years since it first released, but Sony later also included in its list of 2025 exclusives. Sony which gave him more money for a Director’s Cut; a Director’s Cut of a game the developer already had full control of lol. For perspective, its sequel was announced in a shorter timeframe that it took for MGS4 to get any announcement after 3 and for MGS5 after 4, keeping in mind that it’s a completely new IP.

They rejected Sony’s offer because Kojima’s studio would only have to lose. Now his team has 2 of the 3 giants of the industry financing his 2 different auteur projects, which is extremely rare, while also being open for new projects with Nintendo, a company that Kojima has had a much better and long-standing relationship with.

(it is a high priced/production value Walking simulator)

Have you ever played either of them or do you use that term for games you didn’t enjoy? Much like TWD, Death Stranding offers a ton of complex mechanics with a lot of depth besides walking. In fact, it even turns walking itself into a complex mechanic itself as one of its main challenges, something which isn’t found in any other games usually pinned to that term because easily walking is one of its tenets for mass appeal.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lamb - 14 November 2023 04:17 PM

To me The Walking Dead game has as much in common to an adventure game as Gran Turismo has in common with The Witcher 3. They’re both video games but that’s pretty much where the comparison ends to me.

Huh? The TWD game had all the features and mechanics present in most classic adventure games. And despite failing to deliver in the choices-matters department it still surpassed the usual offerings of the genre in that regard. That false equivalency is so odd; those are 2 distinct games in completely different genres featuring a multitude of dissimilar mechanics catering to separate target audiences, while TWD featured everything found in most AGs, was developed by AG fans and had one eye on this community.

It is the same reason we haven’t seen a sequel to days gone. Days gone actually sold pretty well, but didn’t hit internal sales projections or received the critical praise that Sony wanted it to, so the sequel never saw the light of day.

But not only was Death Stranding’s sequel already announced with a teaser at TGA 2022, which is barely 3 years since it first released, but Sony later also included in its list of 2025 exclusives. Sony which gave him more money for a Director’s Cut; a Director’s Cut of a game the developer already had full control of lol. For perspective, its sequel was announced in a shorter timeframe that it took for MGS4 to get any announcement after 3 and for MGS5 after 4, keeping in mind that it’s a completely new IP.

They rejected Sony’s offer because Kojima’s studio would only have to lose. Now his team has 2 of the 3 giants of the industry financing his 2 different auteur projects, which is extremely rare, while also being open for new projects with Nintendo, a company that Kojima has had a much better and long-standing relationship with.

(it is a high priced/production value Walking simulator)

Have you ever played either of them or do you use that term for games you didn’t enjoy? Much like TWD, Death Stranding offers a ton of complex mechanics with a lot of depth besides walking. In fact, it even turns walking itself into a complex mechanic itself as one of its main challenges, something which isn’t found in any other games usually pinned to that term because easily walking is one of its tenets for mass appeal.

Yes I played both death stranding is a FedEx simulator, mixed with monster drink type ads and Conan O’Brien cameos. If you enjoyed it great I didn’t. Sony was not very bullish on having exclusive rights to the sequels point blank.

also you obviously do not know what a classic adventure game is. If you can honestly say The Walking Dead game shows anything similar to King’s quest, monkey island, Etc… in gameplay or game design then I don’t think you’ve ever actually played a real adventure game. I mean honestly name your favorite puzzle in The Walking Dead game was it when you had to press the A button or when you had to press the <——button on the controller during a qte quickly to solve the puzzle… LOL

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 November 2023 07:15 PM

Yes I played both death stranding is a FedEx simulator, mixed with monster drink type ads and Conan O’Brien cameos.

How did you go from “walking simulator” which barely have any mechanics because it’s directed for mass appeal to that surface level descriptor from trailers? Conan and Monster were announced worldwide even outside of the medium way before it was released. Guess what, it also has Hollywood actors in it :shock:

Sony was not very bullish on having exclusive rights to the sequels point blank.

Any sources whatsoever?  After funding a completely unnecessary Director’s Cut and attaining the (probably again just timed) exclusivity of its sequel which was announced in less time than it took for most iterations of MGS to get announced between each, Sony watches the studio it gave a blank check to build up develop another exclusive title for a direct rival. The comparison with Days Gone is yet another ridiculous false equivalecy.

also you obviously do not know what a classic adventure game is. If you can honestly say The Walking Dead game shows anything similar to King’s quest, monkey island, Etc… in gameplay or game design then I don’t think you’ve ever actually played a real adventure game. I mean honestly name your favorite puzzle in The Walking Dead game was it when you had to press the A button or when you had to press the <——button on the controller during a qte quickly to solve the puzzle… LOL

There are ton of classic adventures with combat and timed events like Little Big Adventure, the Indiana Jones games, the goat in Broken Sword, and so on. The fact that you found it easy has no bearing with which genre it falls into. Full Throttle, also with timed actiony scenes, was extremely easy too. TWD had all the classic staples of the genre, including mechanics used in more recent AGs like QTEs seen in titles like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.  Difficulty ≠ genre.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lamb - 14 November 2023 08:19 PM

Yes I played both death stranding is a FedEx simulator, mixed with monster drink type ads and Conan O’Brien cameos.

How did you go from “walking simulator” which barely have any mechanics because it’s directed for mass appeal to that surface level descriptor from trailers? Conan and Monster were announced worldwide even outside of the medium way before it was released. Guess what, it also has Hollywood actors in it :shock:

Sony was not very bullish on having exclusive rights to the sequels point blank.

Any sources whatsoever?  After funding a completely unnecessary Director’s Cut and attaining the (probably again just timed) exclusivity of its sequel which was announced in less time than it took for most iterations of MGS to get announced between each, Sony watches the studio it gave a blank check to build up develop another exclusive title for a direct rival. The comparison with Days Gone is yet another ridiculous false equivalecy.

There are ton of classic adventures with combat and timed events like Little Big Adventure, the Indiana Jones games, the goat in Broken Sword, and so on. The fact that you found it easy has no bearing with which genre it falls into. Full Throttle, also with timed actiony scenes, was extremely easy too. TWD had all the classic staples of the genre, including mechanics used in more recent AGs like QTEs seen in titles like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.  Difficulty ≠ genre.

Full throttle also had real puzzles as did fate of atlantis. The walking dead had no real puzzles at all, be real. TWD was pretty much exclusively qte after episode 1, as was all other telltale games after that. to argue that it bares any gameplay resemblance to full throttle or broken sword is ridiculous at best and dishonest at worst. I mean from a gameplay perspective half life 2 a FPS and its gravity puzzles are way more akin to adventure games, than the TWD to broken sword, as far as gameplay goes. The goat puzzle was 1 timed puzzle in a sea of real puzzles in broken sword, and even then it wasn’t a simple qte button press on screen like twd. context matters which obviously goes right over your head.

Back to death stranding, you might like that shlock, i dont. You can like walking simulators even with their Advance gameplay I just don’t. Just like kojima running out to get kiefer for mgs5 even though the japanese actor was the same for snake. He is obsessed with getting hollywood actors just to get them. Chris roberts has the same syndrome for star citizen.  Death stranding is a semi interesting 8 hr indy game, stretched to its limits by kojimas hubris into a huge mess. Like I said you’re free to like it, I’m free to think it sucks cuz it does to me.

Once again sony could have broken the bank to keep the sequel, they didnt, why do you think that is??? I mean they did for other POPULAR ips like spiderman. The truth is they didnt want to. And why does it surprise you that Ds2 got announced already, that’s the game he wants to make. Kojima was trying to get away from Metal gear solid for years and Konami kept bringing him back.

To the crux of the argument though, just because a game has dialogue options, a little bit of walking, and an interesting story does not make it an adventure game. It just means it has Adventure game elements like a Half-Life 2 or an Uncharted game. Tomb Raider has several adventure game elements but it is not an adventure game, it is a third person action adventure. Similar but not the same.

We can go around and around in a Circle but I will never agree with you that The Walking Dead is an adventure game, Telltale stopped making adventure games years ago. they now make interactive fiction more akin to a visual novel, if you like those games fine, but it’s not the same.

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 November 2023 09:46 PM

Once again sony could have broken the bank to keep the sequel, they didnt

They did. Just like the first one, they gave Kojima’s team a blank check and Sony already put it in its exclusive titles list for 2025 and lend them one of their proprietary game engines created and used by Guerrilla Games, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony, called Decima. You began by claiming they cut ties then along the way seeing as you couldn’t back that up with anything, shifted to the lack of total acquisition as evidenced again by your next random argument:

I mean they did for other POPULAR ips like spiderman.

How does it help you in any way comparing one of the best known, older characters in popular media worldwide that Sony already owned the rights to since 1999, and developed by a company that had a close (mostly) exclusive partnership with Sony also since the 90s, released in the same timeframe as to ride on the Marvel movies successes, with a new studio finding success with a new atypical IP? Sony isn’t Microsoft, it isn’t swimming in money. They’ve been on a freefall for years with mass firings, closing down departments and with shares and profits dropping exponentially each year (latest report? A 31% profit drop after a massive 61% drop). They’re forced to pick their battles so they find themselves offering blanks checks to unproven independent companies in order to guarantee merely timed exclusives- and Director’s Cuts- and timed exclusive sequels. Said independent company that’s enjoying their cake and eating it too by getting funding from 2 rival players to develop whatever it wants, while Insomniac now turned into a full-fledged Sony sequel machine like many of its others devs, with director Bryan Intihar already hinting at a 3rd iteration as soon as they were bought.

Back to death stranding, you might like that shlock, i dont. You can like walking simulators even with their Advance gameplay I just don’t. Just like kojima running out to get kiefer for mgs5 even though the japanese actor was the same for snake. He is obsessed with getting hollywood actors just to get them. Chris roberts has the same syndrome for star citizen.  Death stranding is a semi interesting 8 hr indy game, stretched to its limits by kojimas hubris into a huge mess. Like I said you’re free to like it, I’m free to think it sucks cuz it does to me.

Are you able to ever stay on topic? What relevancy does your hate boner for him has here? A “walking simulator” is as bare bones as it gets to appeal to the broader audience possible while Death Stranding has some of the most complex mechanics for the slightest of motions right off the bat and keeps upping the ante. You went from a “it’s just a walking simulator” to “it’s a fedex simulator” to a “it’s walking simulator with advance gameplay” in less than 24h. You do know that you’re allowed to dislike something without shoehorning it into vague terms using stale buzzwords, right?

Full throttle also had real puzzles as did fate of atlantis. The walking dead had no real puzzles at all, be real. TWD was pretty much exclusively qte after episode 1, as was all other telltale games after that. to argue that it bares any gameplay resemblance to full throttle or broken sword is ridiculous at best and dishonest at worst. I mean from a gameplay perspective half life 2 a FPS and its gravity puzzles are way more akin to adventure games, than the TWD to broken sword, as far as gameplay goes. The goat puzzle was 1 timed puzzle in a sea of real puzzles in broken sword, and even then it wasn’t a simple qte button press on screen like twd. context matters which obviously goes right over your head.

So did TWD in the most classic definition of it, besides its easy timed ones to try and keep it tense. In Full Throttle you clicked on a shiny nose ring and then on a table: was that too straining for you? Was any puzzle whatsoever in that game complex or difficult? Its action bike sequences were more difficult for many players than any of its uncomplicated, streamlined place-item-in-X puzzles which TWD also features in spades. In most celebrated DS adventure games like Another Code, FSR, Hotel Dusk, etc. puzzles barely go beyond the complexity of tapping service bells with a stylus 3 times or rotating a dial. David Cage’s AGs before and after TWD had a similar formula. The genre was never synonymous with inflexibility.

You keep conflating disliking a game and its difficulty with its genre or subgenre, then proceed to shift goal posts and making the most absurd false equivalencies. Yes now bring up the action-packed HL and Tomb Raider games as if there isn’t a clear difference on where their focus lies when compared to TWD and others I’ve mentioned.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2023-11-15

PM

@Jdawg445
I have no bone to pick in this discussion. But I will have to call you out on DS being 8hrs of gameplay. The minimum avg time for its main campaign was for me 30hrs with 7 of them being skippable cutscenes. According to howtobeat.com it’s plus 40hrs. Doing side missions extends them manyfold. Using your reasoning Adventure Games are a few seconds long because they pad out the gameplay with pixel hunting, backtracking and moon logic. DS has a myriad of gameplay loops that you will not find in Dear Esther and Gone Home which popularized so-called Walking Simulators.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top