• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLittleRosewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

..and again it happens; Game Front’s chooses The Walking Dead as their Game of the Year! 

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

TimovieMan - 22 December 2012 12:22 PM

We’re slowly returning to the forefront.

You know, I don’t think there really is a “forefront” anymore. Some genres still generally sell more and get more attention than others overall, but increasingly it’s just about the games now.  With a host of great indies in recent years really pushing the genre envelope from all sides, and initiatives like Kickstarter and Humble Bundles and Steam Greenlight giving them more prominence than ever, nothing really “dominates” the industry anymore.  Good games get attention, lesser games get ignored.  The challenge now is to stand out in the crowd rather than catching up with the pack.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Zifnab - 21 December 2012 11:05 PM

Whoa, easy there. Who’s whining?  Meh

The excessive need to put down a game that deserves game of the year? Yeah, you can see the whining in this thread and the other Walking Dead thread…..sorry you don’t see it.

If ‘whaaaawhaaa a game I don’t like got game of the year’ is not whining, then what is? People that generally post something they don’t agree with tend to want to get some sort of reaction out of it, generally either an argument or people who agree with their incessant whining. What do you expect when people are tolerant of things instead of accepting.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Advie - 22 December 2012 04:36 PM

ahh i Tried 2 mins of the 1st episode with that car crash accident….....i can not play and Smoke my cigarette in the same time Smile

So, just to get this clear, you are judging a whole series of games based on two minutes of play and the fact that it requires two hands.

If you’d at least played a complete episode I would consider respecting your opinion. To judge on two minutes is just the worst example of the modern day desire for instant gratification I have ever seen.

As for “the game requires me to use both hands”, you must have led a very sheltered gaming life up until now. Even console versions of games generally require two hands (those controllers have lots of buttons on both sides you know). I struggled with the PC adaptation of the Assassin’s Creed controls to begin with, but I persevered for longer than two minutes and found a series I enjoy greatly as a result.

I haven’t played any of The Walking Dead episodes, and thus have no opinion either way whether it deserves game of the year. However, if you’re going to start a thread trashing it, at least show the developers some basic respect by judging them from real experience of their work.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Monolith - 22 December 2012 05:56 PM
Zifnab - 21 December 2012 11:05 PM

Whoa, easy there. Who’s whining?  Meh

The excessive need to put down a game that deserves game of the year? Yeah, you can see the whining in this thread and the other Walking Dead thread…..sorry you don’t see it.

If ‘whaaaawhaaa a game I don’t like got game of the year’ is not whining, then what is? People that generally post something they don’t agree with tend to want to get some sort of reaction out of it, generally either an argument or people who agree with their incessant whining. What do you expect when people are tolerant of things instead of accepting.

Still, we should respect Advie’s right to say what he feels. I’ve been on forums where I didn’t feel I could express an opinion because if it was negative it was seen as complaining. I’m glad we’re able to whine here, and whine about the whiners. Because telling someone to ‘shut the f- up’ is whining too.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

In hopes of diverging this thread away from more “whining”:

Jackal - 22 December 2012 05:11 PM

Good games get attention, lesser games get ignored.  The challenge now is to stand out in the crowd rather than catching up with the pack.

That’s probably the most awesome trend we could wish for… Thumbs Up

The major concept of telltale (that i hate)  cutting half the way of their successes by buying famous IPs and never anything original, it just seems humiliating to me

Actually, that’s a pretty good business decision on their behalf, and the larger part of the reason why they’re so successful…

With a famous IP behind their game, it’ll sell even if it’s utter crap. And if the game turns out to be good, it’ll be HUGE!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Steve you only Quoted my intended joke and left the other 4 reasons i gave .
i tell you the truth you misunderstood me , my taste has nothing to do with disrespecting this achievement , i was the 1st to congrat that achievement and to tell that TWD is being TGoY at geek-badge when some people denied it.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1254/

about this thread title or content it has nothing against the Game

again it happens; Game Front’s chooses The Walking Dead as their Game of the Year!

and my 1st post was just revealing my personal opinion/taste of the Game.

also if you took a look at my previous posts about TWD you can see that i was very happy about The Walking Dead being GoTY (whether i liked it or not), i praised it for just being an adventure game with Such a long awaited achievement .

Advie - 05 December 2012 01:53 PM

GoTY
Congrats!

The walking Dead

Advie - 06 December 2012 03:05 AM

let me state this,
if the devil’s going to push the recognition for the Adventure Genre to the top of the gaming Scene as it was before so be it!!,.. and chapeau to Telltale and its efforts.

There is no Success without Great Sales. lets talk about Resonance,Botanicula or Cognition for decades to come, but that wont lead us anywhere else than where we already are now for long years .....

P.S: i watched the gameplaying for many parts of the TWD ,i found it unchallenging and that is my 1st rule to make me turn my back on any Adventure.

at last i must admit that i am might be confused emotionally about telltale itself and the walking dead Episodes ; when the fact is they can never be separated.

Cheers

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

TimovieMan - 22 December 2012 07:36 PM

Actually, that’s a pretty good business decision on their behalf, and the larger part of the reason why they’re so successful…

With a famous IP behind their game, it’ll sell even if it’s utter crap. And if the game turns out to be good, it’ll be HUGE!

I cant complain, I’m amazed Telltale had gotten so many quality IP’s. It was a great start with Sam & Max, now look where they had been. A long journey well worth walking. From Bone to Strongbad to Monkey Island. Every release from them were from IP’s I’ve known and loved. I find it hard for me to be an incessant dick toward them…let alone state unfounded hatred for any of their products.

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Advie - 22 December 2012 07:42 PM

about this thread title or content it has nothing against the Game

I’m sorry, but you can’t say, in your opening post

Advie - 21 December 2012 08:29 PM

honestly i didnt play any of the The Walking Dead episodes and i never WILL !

then claim not to have anything against the game. That sentence alone implies that you consider the game undeserving of the accolade.

Just because I didn’t quote them, doesn’t mean I ignored your other points. They just didn’t seem to add anything. If you only played for 2 minutes then

Dying and repeat the scene again to Die again until you figure out how not!

just makes you sound like someone who gives up the moment they are challenged. As for

there are much better choices than to waste my time on a game that is not made for real Adventurers but for amateurs and Non-Adventurers.

this is more judging of a game without any real experience of it as far as I can tell.

I also really can’t see how watching game-play videos is going to properly convey the feel of actually playing the game to you. I always find them pretty boring myself, even for games I’ve actually enjoyed playing.

As I said, I haven’t played the games myself, so I can’t offer a view on whether they are deserving of GOTY. Even if I had and thought they were worthy, I would respect the opinion of someone who thought otherwise. My beef is when that opinion appears to be based on little to no experience of what is being criticised.

Quest for Knowledge

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

stepurhan - 23 December 2012 03:40 AM

My beef is when that opinion appears to be based on little to no experience of what is being criticised.

In other words, you should visit a country before you criticise it. Especially if your friends say it’s great Crazy

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

As if all of you TWD fanboys reacted to logical arguments(those who played and finished) in other thread with different attitude.

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

nomadsoul - 23 December 2012 08:25 AM

As if all of you TWD fanboys reacted to logical arguments(those who played and finished) in other thread with different attitude.

As I’ve said already.

stepurhan - 23 December 2012 03:40 AM

I haven’t played the games myself, so I can’t offer a view on whether they are deserving of GOTY.

so I’m hardly a TWD fanboy.

I’m not saying that the view of those that have played a decent amount of the game are wrong. I’m saying that judging any game from a two minute look and some game-play video is wrong. The only way to really judge a game is from proper first-hand experience. There is a reason why this site has a policy that reviewers have to complete a game before writing about it.

Quest for Knowledge

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 23 December 2012 08:25 AM

Whats that suppose to mean? Practically every fan of TWD stated exact reasons why they enjoyed the game instead of either ‘Blind Ignorance’ or ‘Lack of reasons’. I specifically stated exactly why I enjoyed it.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Telltale FB Page Wrote:
“Winner of over 25 ‘Game of the Year’ awards and topping multiple ‘Best of 2012’ lists, The Walking Dead” .... “Get all five episodes now for just $12.49 USD for yourself, or gift it to a friend for the holidays! Limited time only!”

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151191639883597&set=a.402424398596.179515.11530858596&type=1&theater;

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

P.S: i watched the gameplaying for many parts of the TWD ,i found it unchallenging and that is my 1st rule to make me turn my back on any Adventure.

But adventure games ALWAYS differed in story/puzzle balance. There were always “Myst-clones”, and “interactive movies” as extremes. But as already said, what was more important is how good or bad those games are.

If you don’t believe me, here’s something way more simple than TWD - FMV zombie game on youtube . Is it an adventure game?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 23 December 2012 08:04 PM

here’s something way more simple than TWD - FMV zombie game on youtube . Is it an adventure game?

I got your Point diego , thanks.

imagine this thread was called Myst Games are ALL Shitty, ok? that will not change the fact that we all know about this Series and all would have considered it just someone’s taste .

and just wouldnt you wish that Resonance had been in TWD shoes, just out of being afraid that adventure gaming would flow in TWD direction for years to come?

i hope you gotten my point.
and one thing if you would excuse my request to not get into this issue more than we already had.

most appreciated and long live Adventure Games. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top