• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Really? A 5 out of 5 on a Walking Dead?

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 December 2012 02:46 PM

pompous not to mention idiotic

Before insulting someone brutally, take a moment to realize what you’re doing.

In this case you called me a pompous idiot for saying 5/5 = 100%.

Let’s hear your reasoning why 5/5 is not 100%.

We’re waiting.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

There are many types of adventure games that doesn’t appeal to me at all, but still gets rave reviews here and other places. Though disagreeing with a reviewers opninions is fine, getting (seemingly) angry and subtly accusing the whole site of being incompetent, is not. I didn’t like the latest Sherlock game, but it got great reviews. Should I get frustrated with the reviewers who enjoyed it? No, I’ll just play something else.

From what I can tell, the majority of the active members of this community (which consists of extremely passionate adventuregame enthusiasts) had a captivating experience with TWD, and I think Jackal has a very valid point asking what serious headschratchers would do to the flow of the storytelling. Personally part of what made the experience so great was the feeling of intensity, how you could never rest, with danger lurking around every corner. This feeling would not have been the same if I’d kept getting stuck or searching for hotspots. I love challenging puzzles, but this wasn’t the right game for it. As Lucien pointed out, the challenge here was about moral and ethics.

The reviews at Adventuregamers are so thorough and far from biased that even if the reviewer likes or dislikes a game, there’s allways enough info there to help you decide for yourself whether or not it’s something that’s likely to appeal to you. Unless you’re only looking at the score, that is. Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Dag - 06 December 2012 03:11 PM

subtly accusing the whole site of being incompetent, is not.

I wonder who did that because I didn’t.

I guess here you can’t be critical of the big heads of the site, you’re bing accused of “subtly accusing them of being incompetent”.

Whatever, I don’t even care, I’ll be gone soon, it’s your mess to fix.

PS. Syberia 1 and 2 4.5 out 5. Walking Dead 5: 5/5 Very fair.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

If I was being pedantic I would point out that / is the mathematical symbol for Divide by, therfore 5/5 = 1

Anywhoo the Site has a scoring policy (see bottom of page)which clearly states that 5 does not mean perfection.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

thinker - 06 December 2012 03:17 PM
Dag - 06 December 2012 03:11 PM

subtly accusing the whole site of being incompetent, is not.

I wonder who did that because I didn’t.

I don’t know, I may be reading your posts wrong, but they do seem like a bash at the site rather than trying to have a constructive discussion about your opinion of the game. Aren’t sentences like “this is the biggest they should respect” and “this is supposed to be adventuregamers.com” etc. implying that they’re not doing a good job and that the site isn’t worthy of its name?

Anyway, there have been many valid arguments so far that explains how 5/5 does not equal 100% in this case. If this thread is all about how the score doesn’t fit any mathematical formula, would you have been happy if the score said: Score approximately equal to 5/5?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

thinker - 06 December 2012 03:06 PM
Kurufinwe - 06 December 2012 02:46 PM

pompous not to mention idiotic

Before insulting someone brutally, take a moment to realize what you’re doing.

In this case you called me a pompous idiot for saying 5/5 = 100%.

Let’s hear your reasoning why 5/5 is not 100%.

We’re waiting.

No, I called your statement pompous and idiotic for:

1) Failing to realize that “perfection” does not mean anything with regard to games (or pretty much anything real) and that therefore a scoring system that would reserve its highest grade for something that cannot exist would be stupid and pointless.

2) Pulling out your high school math and your schoolmistress tone to pretend to teach people who’ve been reviewing games for a while how to do their job when clearly (as we’ve seen above) you haven’t spent more than half a minute thinking about what it actually means to review games.

The Walking Dead didn’t appeal to you? Big deal. Don’t try to turn your own tastes into some kind of universal fact.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I once knew a guy who NEVER gave 5/5 to anything (whether that was a film or a game or a book or whatever). He said that’s because 5/5 should only be reserved for things that are “perfect”.
I asked him why he even *had* a 5/5 grade then. Why not just give points out of 4.5 instead (since 5 would never happen in his view).
He promptly changed his rating system… Tongue

What’s your favourite game/book/film of all time? Did you give it 5/5? Is it “perfect” or can you tell me even one small defect?

5/5 does not mean perfection, it just means that it’s one of the best games of all time in the eyes of the reviewer.
You shouldn’t focus solely on the rating of a game. Read the review so you can see WHY the reviewer thought it deserved a 5/5 instead. THAT’s what a review is all about, not the score…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I have problems with this game even being called a game. It’s a choose your own adventure type of software like an interactive storybook and i CRIIIINGE whenever I hear mainstream websites say that this game is in the same vein as classic Lucasarts adventure games.

The writing isn’t even that good - Spec Ops: The Line had the best writing of the year. Walking Dead descends into maudlin soap opera. I bet you any money The Walking Dead ends up looking camp and ridiculous in a few years time like the cut scenes in Final Fantasy VII (edit: or like Heavy Rain right now) whereas true adventure games like Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward will remain timeless.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 06 December 2012 05:10 PM

I have problems with this game even being called a game. It’s a choose your own adventure type of software like an interactive storybook and i CRIIIINGE whenever I hear mainstream websites say that this game is in the same vein as classic Lucasarts adventure games.

The writing isn’t even that good - Spec Ops: The Line had the best writing of the year. Walking Dead descends into maudlin soap opera. I bet you any money The Walking Dead ends up looking camp and ridiculous in a few years time like the cut scenes in Final Fantasy VII (edit: or like Heavy Rain right now) whereas true adventure games like Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward will remain timeless.

Bolded for Truth!

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

thinker - 06 December 2012 02:26 PM

That will sound rude but it’s basic math that 5/5 = 100% = perfection.

It is also wrong.

I see this argument a lot, and I can’t even begin to say how tired I am of it. Every site has its own way of scoring games, and what the different scores mean is unique to them (and you can bet they’ve had long and hard discussions about it). I don’t know of any sites where 5/5 or 10/10 means perfect, there are no perfect games and why on earth would sites have a score in their scale that would never be used?

As for what a 5/5 at Adventuregamers mean, you can click on the “scoring system”-link under the score. Or follow this link: http://www.adventuregamers.com/about/scoring

There you’ll see the following:

5 stars
An instant, hall of fame classic. Although not “perfect”, we award our top score only to those games that set the highest standard for quality.

So. That’s what 5/5 means. Nothing else.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

thejobloshow - 06 December 2012 05:10 PM

That bit is surely you being sarcastic. You are slagging off TWD as being an interactive storyboard and then bringing up that series.

VLR is a visual novel like it’s predecessor. And if it is anything like 999 then it is probably hours on end of painfully slow dialogue where your only action is to push the A button. In fact i’ve read that in VLR you can actually turn off the A button bit and have it scroll automatically, making it less interactive.

Now I’m not saying VLR is a bad game, because I havn’t played it, but it seems a bit odd to suggest that TWD is barely a game and then tout a visual novel as the paragon of adventureness.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’ve been impressed with the way the visual novel genre has evolved over the past few years. The visual novel aspects of Zero Escape feel like a framing device for the puzzles. The puzzles are the centerpiece.

The Walking Dead wants to take away what it means to be an adventure game. It’s almost like it’s ashamed of being one. Zero Escape embraces it.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
There is an easy explanation for that. They cater to different target groups: One serves hard-core or adventure gamers and the other casual gamers.

When someone already goes as far as to purchase Zero, you know they know what they’re getting themselves into. The walking dead game consumers will largely also be made up of fans from the franchise who never touched upon a game before. The developers need to make the game so accessible(read: easy) that they will follow up on purchasing the other episodes.

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Oh sweet jesus. The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango a 4.5 and this a 5.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Oh sweet jebus. I’m going to draw comparisons on three subjective reviews, written by different people, for three completely different games and draw some conclusions by looking at the end score.

P.S Those two games are No 2 and No 1 on the official top 100 adventure games, but you seem to be struggling with the fact that people can like games in ways you don’t.

Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top