• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Time to evaluate this year Adventures ?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I guess it is a bit early to start naming a GOTY, but honestly Virtue’s Last Reward is the best thing I’ve played this year and I can’t even imagine anything getting close to it among the games that’ll be released (or that I’ll get around to playing) between now and the end of the year. The only thing that saddens me is that it’ll probably get robbed of all the recognition it deserves on account of being on a platform that most people don’t have access to (including, it seems, the AGs staff; seriously, when is the review coming?!).

Special mentions for The Walking Dead, which is simply the best piece of interactive story-telling ever, and Resonance, which showed that you can still have a lot of innovation (and fun!) with the old point-and-click mechanics.

Add to that Frogwares’ best Sherlock Holmes game to date, Botanicula, and other games I haven’t had the chance to play yet (Cognition…?), and it looks like 2012 has been a pretty strong year for adventures.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Dag - 25 November 2012 11:12 AM
Gabe - 25 November 2012 05:39 AM

AGOTY is TTOSH no doubt.

I got the first bit, but not the second. The Tchains of SHatinav? Could fit, if you’re slightly drunk Tongue

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes fits better. Laughing

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Indeed it does Tongue I should’ve gotten that, I just played it a few days ago^^

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Kurufinwe - 25 November 2012 11:41 AM

I guess it is a bit early to start naming a GOTY, but honestly Virtue’s Last Reward is the best thing I’ve played this year and I can’t even imagine anything getting close to it among the games that’ll be released (or that I’ll get around to playing) between now and the end of the year. The only thing that saddens me is that it’ll probably get robbed of all the recognition it deserves on account of being on a platform that most people don’t have access to (including, it seems, the AGs staff; seriously, when is the review coming?!).

It only came out in Europe 2 days ago. Not sure when the US release was, but if it’s anything like 999 i’ll probably give it a miss anyway.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I guess it is a bit early to start naming a GOTY, but honestly Virtue’s Last Reward is the best thing I’ve played this year

Kuru would you be kind and make it easy for me, shoot me with a any good review link for that title.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 25 November 2012 01:33 PM

I guess it is a bit early to start naming a GOTY, but honestly Virtue’s Last Reward is the best thing I’ve played this year

Kuru would you be kind and make it easy for me, shoot me with a any good review link for that title.

The IGN review matches my own opinion very well.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Lost Chronicles of Zerzura is firmly occupying my top spot at the moment but there’s a chance that might change. There are a few games in the upcoming releases for 2012, so I suppose it depends on whether they actually come out this year or (as is more likely) are delayed. ASA: A Space Adventure in particular looks wonderful.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The very best game I played that was released in 2012 was Virtue’s Last Reward. This game was very well received by critics and I’m sure plenty of awards will be won by this game.

The other two games released this year I really liked was Prof Layton and the Miracle Mask and NCIS 3D.

An amazing replay was had with “Another Code - Trace Memory” which was released way back in 2005. Still stunning today.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

My favourite games this year so far are: Resonance, Cognition Episode 1, Ben Jordan 8, Primordia, and Lost Chronicles of Zerzura.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

thejobloshow - 25 November 2012 01:20 AM

Definitely going to have to say Resonance at this current point of time. I found the whole adventure… pulchritudinous?

However, that might all change once I get a chance to play Virtue’s Last Reward.

This is my current opinion exactly - saving VLR till I’m home for the holidays but I’d hope to finish it by New Years.

Haven’t played Walking Dead and a few other good-looking titles yet though; given my backlog, I doubt I will finish it   Foot in mouth

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

IMO, Resonance is slightly on the top, racing against TWD and Botanicula. Despite being a Daedelic fan, CoS and Deponia didn’t impressed me that much (they are good, solid games however)and neither TToSH did. I’m also not going to talk about games that only their first part is released (Cognition, Anna’s Quest, etc). It’s still November however… plenty of time to wait for Primordia, ASA and the others….

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I’m sad to say I didn’t do much adventuring this year. I played Botanicula and Resonance, and that was about it. I’ll probably snag walking dead at some point.

But that just emphasizes how important this Kickstarter boom was. The contrast between this year and 2013 is startling. There’s at least 10 adventure games coming next year I’m genuinely excited for, all of which rate higher on my hype meter than anything this year.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

I loved 999 and want to play Virtue’s Last Reward, but I can’t justify buying a piece of hardware for one, maybe two games as both the Vita and 3DS don’t have all that many interesting games and Virtue is the only standout title for me. Even then, I almost pulled the trigger just now, because I really want to play VLR. Looking at future releases, I don’t see anything worthwhile being added to the library either, unfortunately.

As for this year’s GOTY I think it’s still too early for me to decide. December has several new releases (Primordia, The Cat Lady, Critter Chronicles and Haunted) and there are also a few games I still have to finish, such as The Walking Dead (arrived at the beginning of episode 3 yesterday), The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Harvey’s New Eyes.

Having said all that, Chaos on Deponia, Botanicula and Resonance rank highest at the moment, closely followed by Recognition, The Chains of Satinav and The Sea Will Claim Everything. I felt Zerzura was kind of a disappointment, as I found both the characters and the plot to be quite weak.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Primate Ryan - 28 November 2012 09:32 AM

Having said all that, Chaos on Deponia, Botanicula and Resonance rank highest at the moment, closely followed by Recognition, The Chains of Satinav and The Sea Will Claim Everything.

Good to see someone else loves The Sea Will Claim Everything. Smile

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Zifnab - 25 November 2012 04:45 PM

Lost Chronicles of Zerzura is firmly occupying my top spot at the moment but there’s a chance that might change. There are a few games in the upcoming releases for 2012, so I suppose it depends on whether they actually come out this year or (as is more likely) are delayed. ASA: A Space Adventure in particular looks wonderful.

Ah !
Thanks a lot for the support ! lol
I confirm that the game will release in december. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top