You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #301

I'm glad to see a new trailer! Anything new at this point is most welcome. Yes, the style reminds me of the cut scenes from Gabriel Knight 1 and also from the graphic novel intro to GK3. Very mysterious.

I'm already sold on the game, but I wonder what kind of impact the trailer would have on someone who knows nothing about the game?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #302

Loved the music and yes it sounds like GK, the GK3 novel intro you mentioned is right. But 2010 with no gameplay bits....
Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #303

2010? Gray Matter is officially the Duke Nukem Forever of adventure games then.

On the plus side, Robert Holmes soundtrack is as great as always.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #304
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Cheap trailer.

Take some concept art pan slowly past it with some moody music.

Tells me nothing apart from this game is no where near finished if they can't even put in game shots in the trailer.

Unless those were ingame cutscenes in which case....LAME.
Right? It struck me as something that a 1st year design student would put out. It drips of cliches, and it looks like it was just slapped together the night before the deadline. Nothing original or creative about it.

In the end one term that floated in my head was "artistically lazy".

Another term was: FAIL.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #305

The music in the new trailer is just the official website's looping track we've been hearing for years. It is a beautiful piece, but I was hoping to hear something new this time.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #306
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
2010? Gray Matter is officially the Duke Nukem Forever of adventure games then.

On the plus side, Robert Holmes soundtrack is as great as always.
Why don't we just consider this game dead? We all know what happened to Duke Nukem Forever.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #307

I agree. Especially, since like with Duke Nukem Forever, we seem to see less and less of the game. The last trailer showed at least some gameplay. Which was nothing more than the main characters walking through rooms, but still.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #308
tsa
Playing character

I was just going to say that. The new trailer not only looks unprofessional, but it also seems to show that progress on the game has been going backwards during the last two years.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #309

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I can assure you that the game is in the final stage of production. So, no: it won't be the DNF of adventures. With this being said, I don't know if the trailer is a "concept trailer" or if the cutscenes from the game will look this way.

EDIT: Scratch that. I've just been informed that, with other tweaks and twitches, this graphic novel style will indeed be the one used in the actual game.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 08-22-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:14 AM   #310
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I don't know why so many people got obsessed with the idea that Gray Matter's eventual release was ever uncertain. Lets face it, all the time we see releases of adventure games that were up to 10 years in the making. Why not release something that will make profit, even if took years to complete?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I've just been informed that, with other tweaks and twitches, this graphic novel style will indeed be the one used in the actual game.
Well that's good news! While I'm not exactly sure this "animated sketch" style worked for the trailer, it sure would be awesome for cutscenes or cinematic sequences.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #312

I think it's a cheap technique to save money, so I'm not impressed.
And pushing the release date back again and again doesn't make the release very certain. Especially since you don't get to see much of the game.
This trailer was nothing more than some concept sketches with music that was already on the website for eternity.
I wanted to see more of the game, not less.
If the game is nearly finished, why do they show something that suggests that they just started production? The answer maybe very incompetent marketing, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #313

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Unfortunately I don't have an answer and I can't even say for sure that this trailer wasn't improvised just for the sake of showing something at GamesCom. But that the game is in the final stage of production is true.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #314

I hope all the Duke Nukem Forever similarities don't follow through to the end.

Gray Matter could be the mother of all adventure games!

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #315
Banned User

Except Duke Nukem Forever isn't dead or cancelled.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #316

Actually, Duke Nukem Forever is dead.
It's true that Take 2 assigned the project to another team. But it started over from scratch, so it's not the same game.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #317
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Actually, Duke Nukem Forever is dead.
It's true that Take 2 assigned the project to another team. But it started over from scratch, so it's not the same game.
No it hasn't. Take-2 is doing a totally different game with the Duke Nukem franchise.

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23681

3d Realms didn't close. Something everyone misunderstood. They had to let go of the development team due to budget cuts. It's not canceled or dead, but this will set the game back some time.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #318
Codger

Jane makes too much money on her Oberon games projects to give a hoot whether Grey Matter ever hits the streets.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
No it hasn't. Take-2 is doing a totally different game with the Duke Nukem franchise.

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23681

3d Realms didn't close. Something everyone misunderstood. They had to let go of the development team due to budget cuts. It's not canceled or dead, but this will set the game back some time.
Right. I guess Duke Nukem Forever is undead then.
"Some time" may also mean "for eternity".

Last edited by ozzie; 08-22-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #320

I thought the trailer was decent. Atmosphere and mystery a-plenty, but I agree it might not be the greatest introduction to the game for those who know nothing about it.