You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #341

I wonder why DTP screws it up only with Gray Matter and not with Black Mirror 2. For the latter we have frequent information (thanks for the new trailer ). So either it's something personal and it's done intentionally, or it has something to do with the developer too. And because the first option is logically overruled, we get to the second option. The developer sucks.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 AM   #342

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I can't possibly see why Wizabox should "suck", to use your words. As I mentioned early, Wizarbox is in the final stage of production and both Jane and Dinga Bakaba have reportedly said how much they are satisfied by the new course of the game.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 AM   #343

So you are saying it's done intentionally by DTP with Gray Matter but not with Black Mirror2.

The term "final stage" generally doesn't mean anything unless there is a timeline. And for Gray Matter timeline is a term which doesn't even exist.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #344
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

The marketing was very similar with dtp's Mata Hari. First a very cool website (which you can't even find with google), no updates besides two very simple trailers, then complete silence for many months - the game got released and I'm not sure if it was even mentioned there.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
The marketing was very similar with dtp's Mata Hari. First a very cool website (which you can't even find with google), no updates besides two very simple trailers, then complete silence for many months - the game got released and I'm not sure if it was even mentioned there.
That's not quite true. If you put "Mata Hari Game" in google it's the fourth result. Of course if you put just "Mata Hari" there are tons of results before. I guess you understand why. Also, the trailers and the screenshots kept coming (except for a silent period). And the ultimate problem was that it was released in German first with no signs of English release. That's why it wasn't greatly mentioned.

In Gray Matter the above doesn't apply. No screenshots, no trailers (until a week ago). Give us 10 decent screenshots for the love of God. Not artworks. And the game is going to be released in English.

I don't excuse dtp's marketing for Mata Hari. I guess their intention was the German audience only (or majorly) so their efforts were not greater.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 AM   #346
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
That's not quite true. If you put "Mata Hari Game" in google it's the fourth result.
Hmm, I must have missed it.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 AM   #347
Schattenjäger

I´ll just copy my post from Cort-X and insert it here, concerning the timeschedule for Gray Matter:
"Considering the releasedate 2010: I´ve visited Wizarbox at the GamesCom on Thursday or Friday and they said that they´ll finish the game in 2009. If you combine that statement with the date from the trailer it seems very likely that Gray Matter might be released right in the beginning of 2010.

By the way: In the Adventure-Treff-podcast dtp´s pr manager Claas Wolter officially said that there would be news concerning Gray Matter in the near future."

In addition to that: I´m very sure that there will be decent marketing for Gray Matter in the near future but you´ve got to keep one thing in mind: Black Mirror 2 is as good as completed and the German release will take place in september, 15 Days is aiming for a German release in november. I think it is reasonable that there is more of a focus on the titles that will be out earlier and that they probably try to avoid internal competition to a certain degree (espcecially in a genre that doesen´t really sell billions of copys).
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #348

By the way, might I ask how Wizarbox is connected to Black Mirror 2? Their logo was at the start of the GamesCom demo. I'm very sure that I didn't dream it up since I didn't watch anything about So Blonde or Gray Matter. The trailer of the latter wasn't even shown, yet it was already viewable on the internet. Makes no sense.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #349
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
By the way, might I ask how Wizarbox is connected to Black Mirror 2? Their logo was at the start of the GamesCom demo. I'm very sure that I didn't dream it up since I didn't watch anything about So Blonde or Gray Matter. The trailer of the latter wasn't even shown, yet it was already viewable on the internet. Makes no sense.
You were probably hallucinating since it's not in the trailer. But maybe they are lending a helping hand.

You probably realise why the Gray Matter trailer wasn't shown if you think about how most of the people here are reacting to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVanian
Considering the releasedate 2010: I´ve visited Wizarbox at the GamesCom on Thursday or Friday and they said that they´ll finish the game in 2009. If you combine that statement with the date from the trailer it seems very likely that Gray Matter might be released right in the beginning of 2010.
I wouldn't count on it but at least it seems that the release isn't to far away. Two thumbs up for that!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
You were probably hallucinating since it's not in the trailer. But maybe they are lending a helping hand.
I know that the Wizarbox logo is not in the trailer, but then, the intro is basically an extended version of it and thus quite different. And, I know that I saw the logo on the flatscreen and not on the projection. So, it could only have been in conjunction with BM2. Ah, I don't think it's important anyway.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
What amuses me is how some of us continue to make excuses for what truly is embarrassingly incompetent marketing by a publisher.
I guess that's the difference between glass half full/empty people. But based purely on timelines and facts, at this stage of the game one would have expected more from that trailer.

There's no indicator of any significant progress on this game for the last year or so. I continue to hope it will be released, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 10-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #352

Gray Matter: Voice recordings for English version finalized

Hamburg/London, October 06th, 2009 – Just a couple of days ago, the voice recordings for the upcoming Jane Jensen adventure game Gray Matter were completed. The recordings were produced by Heavy Entertainment, in their awardwinning studios located in Soho, London.

Jane Jensen herself supervised all of the English voice recordings, which were directed by Lorelei King, one of the most successful and accomplished American actresses working in the UK today. She appeared in numerous films from Hollywood blockbusters such as 'Notting Hill' and 'The Saint,' to British independent films and TV shows.

Publisher dtp entertainment managed to gather a number of popular voice talents for Gray Matter: For example, Sam Everett, the game’s female main character, is performed by actress Philippa Alexander. Dr. David Styles, the game’s main male character is played by Steven Pacey, known from British movies and TV such as “Heartbeat”, “M.I.T” and “Pie in the Sky”. Furthermore, the cast also includes well known British actors and voice actors like Adrienne Poster, Rupert Degas and Sascha Dahwan.

Gray Matter will be the first new title by the famous adventure author since the release of Gabriel Knight 3. Staying true to the Jensen-style, the story interweaves gruesome incidences and supernatural events. Neurobiologist Dr. David Styles is one of the main characters in the game. Ever since losing his wife in a terrible car accident many years ago, he has become a recluse, leaving his English mansion Dread Hill House only on rare occasions. One day student and street artist Samantha Everett shows up on his door step unexpectedly, at a time Styles just happens to be looking for a new assistant.

Sam gets the job. Originally from America, she has been travelling Europe for the last few years, so she could really use the money. Her first assignment involves finding six volunteers for an experiment planned by Dr. Styles at Oxford University.

dtp entertainment will release Gray Matter worldwide in March 2010.

left to right:
Maren Nötzelmann (dtp entertainment), Philippa Alexander, Jane Jensen
Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #353
Pixiehunter

Whoot!
I had kinda lost my hope of release in the near future because of the little news that was spread, but now all of a sudden it is less than half a year away

Btw, who is the fourth person on the picture?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #354

Epic

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 10-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #355

Woooooo Neptin, thank you so much for posting this!!!! That picture is awesome! And we finally have a release date!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #356
Hopeful skeptic

In totally related news, keep an eye on AG's main page tomorrow.

Hint:

Spoiler:
We were there.

That's not Phillipa Alexander in the photo, by the way, but Lorelei King, the voice director.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
In totally related news, keep an eye on AG's main page tomorrow.
Excellent! I can't wait to see/read all that goodness!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #358
Codger

The conversation relating to Grey Matter dates back to 2006. Three years have passed. When are we ever going to see evidence of a delivery date? Everything else is superflouous.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #359
jaf
big, hairy and blue

YAY! According to Eurogamer it's March 2010!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gr...sed-next-march
Old 10-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #360

And finally there is some Gray Matter news on dtp entertainment's page (more or less the same as the post above). I notice also that the official Gray Matter website once again has the link to Jane's Blog and now says Coming Soon 2010.