• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The strange genre name: “ADVENTURE games”?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Gabe - 22 March 2013 05:40 AM
Lee in Limbo - 21 March 2013 07:33 PM
Jackal - 20 March 2013 02:29 PM

That said, if I was held at gunpoint and forced to rename the genre, I’d call them “discovery” games.

I like that.

How about exploration games?

PS:Synonyms and related words:
analysis, domiciliary visit, dragnet, emprise, enquiry, examination, expedition, forage, frisk, house-search, hunt, hunting, inquiry, inspection, investigation, mission, observation, perquisition, pilgrimage, posse, probe, quest, ransacking, recce, recco, recon, reconnaissance, reconnoiter, reconnoitering, research, review, rummage, scouting, scrutiny, search, search party, search warrant, search-and-destroy op, searching, stalk, stalking, still hunt, study, survey, turning over Laughing

I think I like “scrutiny games” the best. “Search warrant game” might work for a Police Quest game and “stalk game” for a LSL game Smile

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Jackal - 21 March 2013 07:41 PM

You mean the genre label, or me being held at gunpoint?  Laughing

I hope it doesn’t catch on, though. It’d be such a nuisance renaming the site to Discovery Gamers.

Well, you know how it is… Wink

And I don’t think rebranding the site would ever be necessary. Operating on the assumption that everyone who comes here knows more or less what an AG is, my only justification for renaming the genre is simply to expand the definition to be more inclusive and more ‘accurate’ going forward, if such a thing is possible.

Incidentally, I checked out Discovery Game and found three or four different games all using variations of the title, so I guess creating an actual ‘Discovery’ AG to inaugurate a renaming wouldn’t really work. Which is too bad, because it gave me a misspelled title for an AG-based adventure story I’m thinking of writing, after I wade through my backlog of unwritten tales, so to speak.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top