• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

For Pete’s sake, not again! I don’t even remember how we ended up with this bloody silly “rule”, one day it was just there. Did you or LadyKestrel happen to sneak it in? It’s up to the participants of a specific CP to determine if it needs a leader and Kentucky Route Zero does NOT need one. Five episodes, easy-peasy. You are not participating, so stop this infernal interfering of yours and go play a game or something.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

No need to kick off Karlok - I only asked a reasonable question which has yet to be answered e.g. if Kentucky Route Zero wins who is going to set up the thread if no-one puts themselves forward as the leader? 

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 22 February 2020 02:06 PM

No need to kick off Karlok - I only asked a reasonable question which has yet to be answered.

Yeah? I gave you your answer, maybe you should read my post again. But you haven’t answered MY question, have you.

Did YOU sneak this “rule” in?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

To answer your question the answer is NO

Just to add that I’m not responsible for any rules as far as I know which go way back - but I will adhere to them (as I agree with them) & post if I think they’re being flouted.
It’s a democratic forum so if someone doesn’t agree with something they’re free to say if they have different ideas but it does need to be stated before say something like a new voting round rather than kicking off in the midst of it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 22 February 2020 02:19 PM

Just to add that I’m not responsible for any rules as far as I know which go way back - but I will adhere to them (as I agree with them) & post if I think they’re being flouted.

It’s a democratic forum so if someone doesn’t agree with something they’re free to say if they have different ideas but it does need to be stated before say something like a new voting round rather than kicking off in the midst of it.

Good Lord! ANOTHER NEW RULE!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

What new rule?

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just looked at our list of community playthroughs, and even the earliest ones on the old AG forum had someone who had played the game and stepped up as a de facto leader to give advice on where and when to start and to answer other questions.  Even the “unoffical” playthroughs are started by someone who usually wants to play an old favorite and who leads it, albeit more casually.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 February 2020 06:08 PM

I just looked at our list of community playthroughs, and even the earliest ones on the old AG forum had someone who had played the game and stepped up as a de facto leader to give advice on where and when to start and to answer other questions.  Even the “unoffical” playthroughs are started by someone who usually wants to play an old favorite and who leads it, albeit more casually.

Yes, and?
Please tell me where to find the rule that a game with 7 votes and no leader LOSES to a game with 4 votes including the leader. In my not very humble opinion that’s totally unfair. Those 7 people can still decide who’s to be the leader. And why would non-participants like you and Chrissie care if a CP they don’t want to take part in has a leader? 

LadyKestrel on 4 April 2019:
This is the fourth day that no new votes have been made.  Beneath a Steel Sky has 7 votes but no leader.  The next closest games, Broken Sword, Catyph, and Lighthouse, are tied at 4 votes each, and they all have leaders.  I will be away from my computer until later this evening.  If no one steps up to lead BaSS by then, we’ll start the tie-breaker round.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/92/P3705/#155203

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Based on what I’ve read and experienced here, I was assuming that this was the tradition set early on.  In the archived voting thread HERE, I found these comments when members were discussing the next game:

Diego

There seems to be a minor issue, though - we don’t have the gamemaster.

Zobraks

What you folks need (or what ANY community playthrough needs, for that matter) is a dedicated game master/mistress who loves some game and is ready to play ball and one good player (the more the better). The rest will follow.

Fien

And let’s not forget TUBMC (The Unofficial Bad Mojo Crawlthrough). A great community playthrough with a knowledgable leader and only a few regulars.

By the way, Beneath a Steel Sky did get a leader, and we had a good playthrough. 

My feeling is that if a leader will get sorted out anyway, why not have one from the start?  If others feel differently, we can certainly vote on it.  Let me know your thoughts, but without the sarcasm, please.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I am really baffled, why Karlok, didnt you engage when it mattered, when two times Memoria won and i was willing to lead it and i didn’t claim my slot for its CPT, (allegedly) either bc me stepping in late, or i wasn’t clearly understood that i will lead it, tho eventually it was clearly my choice three times in row?

but again, i expect LK expecting posters here to be a little a bit understanding, and that its always rather better to spend time playing AGs than spending days arguing about rules and ‘conspiracies’, that is why i tried to be as cool about these incidents, even Doom who was the only one stepping in for Memoria, last round, was surprised by my action, but however how much i would love to lead it in a CPT (even more; i had the introduction post ready in at text file saved on my desktop) it doesn’t matter as long Admins has the last word.. making an order rather than expressing their view, i am sorry LK, but i don’t like really what happened thru that last two round when Memoria won.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Memoria has been nominated this round, Advie.  Do you want to lead it?

Kentucky Route Zero, Ep. 1-5 (3) - Pegbiter, Karlok, Donuts McGee
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (3) - Lady Kestrel (leader), Crabapple, Chrissie

Memoria (2) - Advie (leader), Crabapple

Milkmaid of the Milky Way (1) - Mikekelly (leader)
Oknytt (1) - Crabapple
A Short Hike (1) - Advie
Thimbleweed Park (1) - Mikekelly (leader)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sure, i am always up to lead it “with me eyes closed’ Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I added you to my previous post.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

All of this may pertain only to AGCPTs. There have been dozens, if not hundreds of “flash” playthroughs that had no leader at the beginning, but found one as the playthrough progressed. I think I suggested a flash playthrough of a game that was favorably reviewed by AG. And it was only by luck that someone joined the playthrough that had actually played the game. His contribution was to tell us that the game consisted of four chapters, and that it was important to collect flowers. chrissie was a participant in this playthrough, so she can’t say a leaderless game can’t succeed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 22 February 2020 01:44 PM

For Pete’s sake, not again! I don’t even remember how we ended up with this bloody silly “rule”, one day it was just there. Did you or LadyKestrel happen to sneak it in? It’s up to the participants of a specific CP to determine if it needs a leader

Not that it’s my problem either way as I don’t actively participate (I may read the playthrough threads occasionally afterwards), but that’s not how community playthroughs work.

Instructions have been posted on AG forums dating back to 2007:
“What’s absolutely necessary for a good playthrough?
A dedicated person to chair it. That means someone who’ll play the game in advance to determine the sections and schedule, and will keep the discussion active and lively.”

http://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/19024-time-new-community-playthrough.html

It’s also how playthroughs on other forums work. Playthroughs on Adventure-Treff always have somebody posting an introduction and leading the playthrough.

http://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/1/20461

Just sayin’.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top