• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Thanks Giom, I hope we can reach it too! Smile

Tad - 19 October 2015 06:10 PM

Great to see it coming along so well. Just out of curiosity, what made you choose Game Maker instead of something like Unity? The latter uses C# and is cheaper if you’re thinking of releasing it on different platforms.

I had already used Game Maker in the past, made some various tests with it. At the time it could only export to Windows but it was very simple to use. I love *simple*!

Since the Studio version they’ve improved pretty much everything, and allowed exports to (almost) as many environments as Unity.

Game Maker Studio is more suited to make 2D games, while Unity is more for 3D games (although you can make 2D games with it, I think the programming side would have taken me a lot more time if I had stick with Unity, for the same result)

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

15 days left! Smile

The next stretch goals are for translating the game into Spanish (3 000 €) and German! (3 500 €)  I’ve posted articles on the creation of a room in the game there, check the updates Smile

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983902887/demetrios

I have also posted an article on “Making a quality game on a tiny budget” which was featured on GamaSutra!

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/FabriceBreton/20151021/256877/Making_a_quality_game_on_a_tiny_budget.php

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

COWCAT - 20 October 2015 03:12 AM

Great to see it coming along so well. Just out of curiosity, what made you choose Game Maker instead of something like Unity? The latter uses C# and is cheaper if you’re thinking of releasing it on different platforms.

I had already used Game Maker in the past, made some various tests with it. At the time it could only export to Windows but it was very simple to use. I love *simple*!

Since the Studio version they’ve improved pretty much everything, and allowed exports to (almost) as many environments as Unity.

Game Maker Studio is more suited to make 2D games, while Unity is more for 3D games (although you can make 2D games with it, I think the programming side would have taken me a lot more time if I had stick with Unity, for the same result)

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

I have to say, your kickstarter has been handled very well and better than some “professionals” I’ve seen. Your work is there for all to see, the rewards are realistic, you’re updating frequently enough to keep it going and not so much it becomes annoying for those backing and gettings tons of emails. I’m glad it’s hit it’s goal and I really hope this goes well for you. There’s a lot of passion and thought gone into this.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Tad - 22 October 2015 07:00 PM
COWCAT - 20 October 2015 03:12 AM

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

I have to say, your kickstarter has been handled very well and better than some “professionals” I’ve seen. Your work is there for all to see, the rewards are realistic, you’re updating frequently enough to keep it going and not so much it becomes annoying for those backing and gettings tons of emails. I’m glad it’s hit it’s goal and I really hope this goes well for you. There’s a lot of passion and thought gone into this.

Hey, thanks for the nice comments Smile

It’s doing pretty good, though I can’t help but feel it could do even better.

I think the first impression isn’t too great for Demetrios, the game doesn’t feel enough attractive. I’ve decided to make all the art myself, and I’m no artist, so the drawback is that many people are turned off by it - there’s no “wow” effect that would make people instantly interested, like for some other projects!

That’s unfortunate but that’s a choice I’ve made, so I’ll stick to it. For now I intend to finish as much of the game as possible, then correct what can be corrected (I’m improving!), adding animations, particles etc… to make it look a bit better Smile

I’ll just focus on making the game as good as I can, and we’ll see!

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Good news, Demetrios got greenlit today and thus will be available on Steam! Smile (with achievements, cards and probably support for saves into the cloud).

The Steam version will be an option of course, there will also be a DRM Free version available.

There are still 7 days left to support the Kickstarter!

The Spanish translation stretch goal has been reached, the next ones are the German translation (3 500 €) and the PS Vita version (5 000 €) which unexpectedly was the most requested console version!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Congrats! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Thank you to everyone here who voted for the game Smile Being able to put my game on Steam means a lot to me!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I hope you get that Vita goal, more adventures for it are always welcome

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

As I’ve said, I was kinda surprised by the warm reception for the Vita version!

But I guess it makes sense, a lot of people seem to play Point & Click games on it. Very practical to play in bed :p

Let me post the few ideas I had for this version which I’ve posted on the Vita Lounge forums (just keep in mind they’re only ideas for now!)

I think the rear touch control could be used to move the cursor like a mouse over the screen, in order to be very precise. While the front touch screen could be used to click directly on one spot.

The first analog stick would probably also be used to control the cursor, some players might prefer using this over the touch controls.
The buttons could be used to get quick and easy access (L/R for switching between the inventory items, triangle for accessing the menu, O for opening the inventory, X for clicking somewhere)

I can also make some good use of the button controls for the mini games.

The resolution of the Vita is exactly half of the HD native resolution used, and the screen is relatively large enough so the graphics should be crisp and stay easy to read.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Looks like solid plans. I think the important is to give various options on the Vita because people seem to switch to different controls methods, some prefer using the touch screen, others to avoid it.
The graphics will surely look good, most stuff looks great on the that screen

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

I need an opinion!

What do you think of Slacker Backer campaigns with Paypal?

Two people have asked me if I would do it because they’re interested but can’t pledge with a credit card, and I said “maybe”. But currently I’m not sure, it would take some time to manage it outside of the Kickstarter and probably very few people would “back”.

Also some people have a bad opinion of it (as if we’re asking for more money because the funding goal isn’t enough, which isn’t my case)

Or maybe I could add pre-orders instead, with a limited number of options (digital or DVD version)? I’ve seen some others like Oak Island do this.

My issue is that the Kickstarter page won’t be able to be changed after the campaign ends, so I’d better decide now.

What do you think?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Actually, I thought everybody allowed for “Slacker Backers” through PayPal…

Plenty of people will not back a campaign unless they can do so via PayPal, and there’s always people who found out too late about your campaign but are interested in backing nonetheless.
Even if it generates only 10% of what the campaign did, it could prove essential in the development stage.

I’m also convinced that those with a bad opinion of it are a small (but vocal) minority. And since it’s the internet, some of them could just have a bad opinion of everything. Tongue

I’d say “go for it!”.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Not everybody, the big successful Kickstarters do that but it’s less common for the smaller ones.

I think I’ll do “pre-orders” instead, which is more or less the same but more simple both for the visitors and for me (only a few options).

Thank you!

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Only 48 hours left to support Demetrios on Kickstarter!

I’ve shared a new screenshot from the game in my latest update Smile Oh and the German translation stretch goal has been reached too! Can we reach the PS Vita port before the end?

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Hey everyone Smile

I know I’ve been lazy on the communication side lately, but that’s because I’m 100% focused on the development!

I’ve finished developing Chapter 5 of the game so about 80% of the game can now be played, and I’ve started work on Chapter 6 (the last chapter).

The game will have a lengthy ending with choices and alternate dialogs, which I expect to be memorable!

Two early testers have already gone through the first four chapters, and they’ve really enjoyed it! This also confirmed that the game should have the length I’ve targeted (between 8 and 12 hours on a first run - unless you keep using the in-game help, obviously)

For more details, I’ve just posted an update on the Kickstarter :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983902887/demetrios/posts/1452287

Happy holidays! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top