• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Lost Crown - The Ager brothers

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Recently I replayed The Lost Crown. Before I will make my point I must warn people who have not played this game yet. Spoilers galore! Reading any further will ruin the game for you. So stop here if you plan on playing this game for the first time in the future!

OK.
I was wondering about those Ager brothers. Most of them (except maybe Frederick Ager) were not loved by the people in Saxton and environments. I wonder why. They all had the task of guarding the lost crown, and even in death they kept doing that. After Nigel found the crown things definitely changed for the worst, so excorcising the Agers actually was not such a good idea. Therefore, we can conclude that the Agers were actually good guys. But why then were they disliked so much by their contemporaries?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well it has been a while since i played the game, but as i understood it the Ager brothers simply weren’t very nice people to put it mildly. You could say that they were corrupted by the crown, or that they were simply evil to begin with and were using the crown for their own selfish purposes.

You could argue that uncovering the crown changed things for the worse, and that it would have been better if it was never found, but there is a larger story here that hasn’t been completely told yet, only hinted at so far, and probably won’t be completely revealed until the last game in the series. There are certainly many things that aren’t quite right in the town of Saxton, again to put it mildly. Unfortunately with the current pace it might take a long time before the whole story is revealed.

I don’t think that we can in any way conclude that the Agers were actually the good guys, and even if their intentions for hiding the crown were good, then people are judged by their actions and how they behave towards others, and not by some hidden intention that nobody but themselves know about.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

I’m with Iznogood: the Ager brothers are the bad guys.
The task of the Crown is to protect the people (of Saxton and surroundings or of the coast).
The Ager brothers use the Crown to gain power for their own benefit. And they hurt the people of Saxton. Every Ager has murdered someone or made people suffer.
As we see at the end of the game, the real guardians or the Crowns are the people of Saxton. They need Nigel to uncover the hiding-place of the Crown, but Nigel thinks they help him findig and getting the Crown.
At least, that’s my interpertation.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Seagul’s synopsis is a good one, but obviously that is not the whole story…...which we will find out in The Last Crown.

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

Thanks for your kind words, Bonsai.
Yes, we don’t know the whole story.
But perhaps soon ....
Can’t wait to hear more about Saxton and the Ager brothers!

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

Frederick! Ager.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I wonder what the connection of the reverend to the Agers is. I think he is family, like mr. Gruel.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

A fall from these rocks would crush a body. To pieces.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

seagul - 01 May 2013 09:54 AM

I’m with Iznogood: the Ager brothers are the bad guys.
The task of the Crown is to protect the people (of Saxton and surroundings or of the coast).
The Ager brothers use the Crown to gain power for their own benefit. And they hurt the people of Saxton. Every Ager has murdered someone or made people suffer.
As we see at the end of the game, the real guardians or the Crowns are the people of Saxton. They need Nigel to uncover the hiding-place of the Crown, but Nigel thinks they help him findig and getting the Crown.
At least, that’s my interpertation.

But if the hurting and killing prevented the crown from being found it is better for the people of Saxton. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some for the benefit of all. And how could the Ager brothers use the crown for their own benefit? The crown had to be protected but no one knew where it was so I don’t see how you can use it to gain power. When Nigel knew where the crown was located the Agers still did their very best to stop him. The people of Saxton could more easily have stopped Nigel but they didn’t do that. I think they supported him in bringing the crown back, but they weren’t its guardians.

Oh, and cbman:
Symbolic images, or ancient graffiti?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

But you are assuming the it is a bad thing that the crown has been found.
I reality we simply don’t know that yet!

There is a proverb: It has to get worse before it can get better.
Things were certainly not right in Saxton at the start of the game, and finding the 3 crowns might be the cure.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

You may be right but the people of Saxton didn’t take it well that the crown was found (is that good English? I don’t think so but how do you say it then?). I guess we will have to wait and see what happen in The Last Crown!

Total Posts: 1798

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

tsa - 02 May 2013 03:40 PM

You may be right but the people of Saxton didn’t take it well that the crown was found (is that good English?)

Perfectly reasonable tsa although “had been found” instead of “was found” is better if slightly pedantic.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

tsa - 02 May 2013 03:40 PM

I guess we will have to wait and see what happen in The Last Crown!

Perhaps, but i believe that it is planned as a trilogy: 1.The Lost Crown, 2.The Last Crown and 3.The First Crown. So it might take considerable longer before the whole story is revealed - unfortunately Confused

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Just finished Lost Crown. What a brilliant game. I actually enjoyed the slow pace, made it more scary and at the same time, very relaxing. Has anyone here actually been to Polperro and walked around the real locations in the game? That would be a great experience. Not many games you can do that. This video is great, perhaps a link to the legend! The real harbour cottage and Mr.Gruel’s shop.

Also of interest,
http://www.thelostcrown.co.uk/makingof

Professor Hardacre next to Johnathan Boakes

The three puzzle locations below Nicholas Gurney’s tomb

The Bear Inn location for the very best mead! Grin

cbman - 01 May 2013 02:38 PM

Frederick! Ager.

Lol, always made me chuckle hearing him say that.

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Roman5 - 24 July 2013 10:25 PM

Just finished Lost Crown. What a brilliant game. I actually enjoyed the slow pace, made it more scary and at the same time, very relaxing. Has anyone here actually been to Polperro and walked around the real locations in the game? That would be a great experience. Not many games you can do that.

I have. It was great! See my Flickr set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsaszymborska/sets/72157627301910923/

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

tsa - 25 July 2013 05:58 AM

I have. It was great! See my Flickr set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsaszymborska/sets/72157627301910923/

Amazing! How cool is that. Great photos! Grin It must have felt really surreal after having played the game to be walking around the game set. I was wondering if it’s possible to find the locations of harbour (studio cottage), the Bear Inn and the other game places on google streetview if you happen to recall the names of those roads in Looe, particularly the Bear Inn? I don’t suppose there was a train station beyond Mr.Gruel’s antiques shop? Tongue

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top