• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest licensing speculation

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

JuntMonkey - 02 April 2013 03:00 PM

I’d actually prefer Activision made KQ than Replay. I don’t need another 2D 1990 throwback. Activision with its size and money could bring something new to the genre, modern graphics, etc. I’m not saying it would definitely turn out well, but I’d rather see it try and fail than just see the same thing again. That would be in the true spirit of Sierra.

The last time they tried something different with KQ and with “modern” graphics, we got King’s Quest 8… Crazy

Plus, when you look at the weak graphics they gave to the Larry games Magna Cum Laude and Box Office Bust, I’d rather they DIDN’T try something new… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

TimovieMan - 02 April 2013 03:16 PM
JuntMonkey - 02 April 2013 03:00 PM

I’d actually prefer Activision made KQ than Replay. I don’t need another 2D 1990 throwback. Activision with its size and money could bring something new to the genre, modern graphics, etc. I’m not saying it would definitely turn out well, but I’d rather see it try and fail than just see the same thing again. That would be in the true spirit of Sierra.

The last time they tried something different with KQ and with “modern” graphics, we got King’s Quest 8… Crazy

KQ8 was made in 1998 with 3D still in its infancy, and there were a number of poor design decisions with that game that had nothing to do with 3D graphics. You can’t hold on to one failed experiment from 15 years ago and say that 3D sucks for KQ for all of time. GK3’s 3D one year later was implemented well anyway.

There is absolutely no question that if Sierra had still been going strong throughout the 21st century, KQ and the rest of the series would have continued to be 3D (and eventually would have turned out well).

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 02 April 2013 03:16 PM

]The last time they tried something different with KQ and with “modern” graphics, we got King’s Quest 8… Crazy

Plus, when you look at the weak graphics they gave to the Larry games Magna Cum Laude and Box Office Bust, I’d rather they DIDN’T try something new… Wink

In all honesty though all King’s Quest games tried to bring in some new technological improvements to the table for Sierra games, be them grpahical, UI, music or game media related. Sierra used KQ series to develope their tools further, so 3D graphics in Mask of Eternity was a logical continuation in that, just like Phantasmagoria was technologically logical sidestep for Roberta as well.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Absolutely - though I think enough time has passed for us to know, now, what works and what doesn’t.  I’m not looking for King’s Quest to innovate and break ground at this point.  It had it’s day for that - I’m looking for an enjoyable gaming experience, you know, not a platform to display the latest technology.

Bt

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That is true, adventure games don’t have to be the genre that pushes the boundaries of technology anymore, whe have Crysis and the like for that now.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

tomimt - 02 April 2013 05:19 PM

That is true, adventure games don’t have to be the genre that pushes the boundaries of technology anymore, whe have Crysis and the like for that now.

Yeah, exactly - I mean, of course smaller innovations are always welcome, as long as they are mostly un-obtrusive.  For instance, if you’re using 3D models, more realistic modeling and better animation is always welcome.  But I don’t have to have crazy innovations and new AI techniques…. the core of adventure games has been set for a while.

I guess I just don’t need innovation for innovation’s sake.

Bt

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Blackthorne - 02 April 2013 05:13 PM

I’m not looking for King’s Quest to innovate and break ground at this point.  It had it’s day for that

Bt

How sad that you seem to have such low expectations for what could be possible in a new KQ. I agree with the earlier commenter who said that an important part of what made KQ KQ was that it kept raising the bar and was a trendsetter of the genre. As long as the core fundamentals of lots of fun exploration and challenging puzzle design are in tact, I would totally welcome a very modernized and innovative new KQ.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

http://m.digitaltrends.com/gaming/activision-is-planning-something-for-kings-quest-franchise-rights-reportedly-recovered-from-telltale-games/

In related rumors and speculation, I heard that Jane Jensen’s Mystery Game X may well be published by none other than Activision. If the stories of Activision planning to develop a new KQ are to be believed, and if they are publishing a new Jane Jensen (and likely Gabriel Knight) game, then maybe Activision could be setting up some kind of subdivision label for interactive fiction or “adventure classics” or something.

As a fan of the classics like KQ, I would be thrilled with such a development, as long as Activision retains the fundamentals of what make classic adventure games special. And at least we probably wouldn’t have to worry about the games being made with insufficient budgets with Activision involved.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I don’t think it’s sad - it’s like Tom said - they have Crysis for that.  I’m looking for a good GAME if someone is going to make a new KQ.  King’s Quest had it’s day of innovation over 20 years ago - it’s not it’s place now.  I’d rather have it be a good game than a proving ground for a new technology.

I don’t think that’s sad; as adventure game enthusiasts and players, we know what we like.  If we wanted innovation, at least from a technological standpoint, we’d go elsewhere.  Gameplay innovation is always fun, as long as it improves what we love about them.

Bt

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Quest1 - 02 April 2013 05:51 PM

http://m.digitaltrends.com/gaming/activision-is-planning-something-for-kings-quest-franchise-rights-reportedly-recovered-from-telltale-games/

In related rumors and speculation, I heard that Jane Jensen’s Mystery Game X may well be published by none other than Activision. If the stories of Activision planning to develop a new KQ are to be believed, and if they are publishing a new Jane Jensen (and likely Gabriel Knight) game, then maybe Activision could be setting up some kind of subdivision label for interactive fiction or “adventure classics” or something.

As a fan of the classics like KQ, I would be thrilled with such a development, as long as Activision retains the fundamentals of what make classic adventure games special. And at least we probably wouldn’t have to worry about the games being made with insufficient budgets with Activision involved.

I wouldn’t hold your breath on that.

Activision are only interested in franchises that can be annualised, and that make them squillions of dollars.

Call of Duty, Skylanders etc

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Blackthorne - 02 April 2013 05:59 PM

Gameplay innovation is always fun, as long as it improves what we love about them.

Yep, that’s true. Saying “adventure gamers don’t care about innovation” seems a bit off, though. I mean, speak for yourself. You make it seem like adventure gamers sound like, “Nope, can’t be havin’ none of that innovatin’ and all that newfangled fancy stuff, no siree.”

Anyway, it shouldn’t be an either/or when it comes to innovation and gameplay. Let’s aim for improvements in both, while aiming to keep the fundamentals in tact. Easier said that done maybe. So, yeah, at least we agree on that.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Quest1 - 02 April 2013 06:14 PM
Blackthorne - 02 April 2013 05:59 PM

Gameplay innovation is always fun, as long as it improves what we love about them.

Yep, that’s true. Saying “adventure gamers don’t care about innovation” seems a bit off, though. I mean, speak for yourself. You make it seem like adventure gamers sound like, “Nope, can’t be havin’ none of that innovatin’ and all that newfangled fancy stuff, no siree.”

Anyway, it shouldn’t be an either/or when it comes to innovation and gameplay. Let’s aim for improvements in both, while aiming to keep the fundamentals in tact. Easier said that done maybe. So, yeah, at least we agree on that.

I think you’re mis-interpreting what I’m saying - there’s a difference between innovation and innovation for innovations sake… it’s a fine line.  I’m all for modern adventure games to take advantage of new technology - HD resolutions, etc… but, take for instance, Full Motion Video - that turned out to just be a fad, rather than an innovation, and Sierra chased that Dragon to ruin - and then 3D…. their 3D games were subpar compared to their previous innovations.

You said it straight in that last paragraph - aim for improvements while keeping fundamentals intact.

Bt

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Quest1/MtnPeak, watch this video.  It perfectly explains what Bt is talking about.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7005-Innovation-Gamings-Snake-Oil

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Of course Telltale are not going to make a King’s Quest - The Walking Dead made them mad cash.

I’m sorry, they’re not catering to old school adventure gamers anymore. They’re going to ride this comic book adaptation thing a little further and see where that takes them. (Because they’ve always been about the money. That’s why they’ll never make original IP.)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

thejobloshow - 02 April 2013 06:33 PM

I’m sorry, they’re not catering to old school adventure gamers anymore. They’re going to ride this comic book adaptation thing a little further and see where that takes them.

Certainly seems that way. Given the direction they’ve been going, Telltale wouldn’t be my top choice to bring back more classic adventure series.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top