• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #75: The Neverhood

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 30 October 2022 09:32 AM

Did you really read every word zobraks?

Of course, 17 years ago. Now I’m going even further: I’m typing all the records from The Hall. Cool

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

You read every word Gasp ....... & are typing all of them? .....  Gasp Gasp Gasp

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I read 2 screens of it before i decided to check how long the text is. Those are some walls of text lol. Anyway, you can find the text online. Maybe i will read some of it while doing the playthrough just for the fun of it.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Poor Klaymen!  He does get battered quite a bit.  I had a little trouble setting up the game because Scumm wasn’t recognizing my folder.  I finally clicked “Data” to add it to the game name in game path, and now it’s working fine.  I’ll play a bit more before bed tonight.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’ve given myself the task of reading the entire text wall. This may take a while.

AKA Charo

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 30 October 2022 04:20 PM

You read every word Gasp ....... & are typing all of them? .....  Gasp Gasp Gasp

Well, I have to read it anyway. While typing it I get to ponder on it and (kinda) squeeze more of its meaning. As far as I remember, a lot of stuff interspersed in that gibberish has something to do with player’s comprehension of the game, there are even some hints.

When I play a game - I play a game. Cool

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

I haven’t played this game for years…

The way I remember it, there isn’t that much story to it. Or rather - as others have mentioned - there’s a lot of story, but much it seems to exist apart from the gameplay. Kind of like Myst, I guess, but don’t think too hard about that comparison because I certainly didn’t.

For me, it’s very much a style over substance game. But there’s so much of that style that it’s definitely worth playing at least once!

As an aside, as I recall it this is one of those games where every scene is hard-coded, rather than working from an interpreted script. Which means it can work perfectly well in almost every respect, and still be buggy in places. I’m not aware of any such bugs, but if you do come across them I’m sure your ScummVM bug reports will be appreciated! (And hopefully someone who knows how will still be around to fix them.)

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I read the entire wall tonight.  The text is fun in parts and interesting because it explains an event from a certain point of view, and then much later you’ll read about the same event from an entirely different perspective.  Some of the invented names for both people and places are very funny, and some of them sound like spam names we often get here.  (Pinto Bunyan would fit right in.)  The begats on the wall are not quite as dry as those in the Old Testament, but they are a bit much.

I finished the first section and am really enjoying the puzzles.  So far the musical pipes puzzle was the most difficult because there was no sign of which ones were incorrect.  When I finally realized that I needed 5 different notes, it was easier to do.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 30 October 2022 09:32 AM

Do the puzzles get harder?

I don’t think they do, but that’s just one opinion. Knowing what to do next gets a bit harder.

I read about 5 screens worth before giving up & trudging along the seemingly never-ending corridor & back & wish I’d known about the option to avoid the tedium at that point by accessing ‘Game Options’……..  So perhaps not so mean after all?

I feel that the Hall of Records is an integral part of the game. Anybody who has played the Neverhood before, correct me if I’m wrong, but I think ScummVM must have added the option to skip it. In my not very humble opinion that goes against the creator’s intentions, which I read as: It’s okay to be bored, it’s okay not to read the wall, but you have to walk the walk.

Having said that, I didn’t feel like reading the wall again. Once was enough.  Shifty Eyed

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1264

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sorry, mi mother in law has Covid and my wife and I have been sick this weekend, we are waiting for the results of the test. I will catch up ASAP.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Ok, I’ve opened the gate to the new area. I’m absolutely loving this game so far! Very fun puzzles to solve (yes, including the sound one) and some truly hilariously funny moments. Things in different areas interconnect and careful observation is required to make the necessary connections. Clever stuff!

Game looks and sounds great too.

No, I did not read all that text and probably won’t either. A few paragraphs in each section felt quite enough. Must take hours to plough through all of that. Is there a summary to read somewhere? Smile

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Who was I trying to fool? I read Ogdilla’s story on the subway on my way to work this morning and will of course read the other’s as well. Is it considered cheating reading the text in the Hall of Records outside the game? Smile

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hope you get well soon, walas!

I’m enjoying my replay of the Neverhood very much. A unique game with a great personality. But with hindsight many puzzles are basically the usual stuff from the ‘90s, like the slider and the sound puzzle.

Nobody else mentioned having trouble with the part after the sound puzzle, so my prediction was wrong. And nobody mentioned Willie’s story on the tapes, which I personally find much more fun than TenNapel’s version of the Old Testament. After finishing this section you should have 8 tapes.

Are we ready to move to the next section or do Char, Veovis, Nico, zobraks need more time to finish reading the wall? Doom, how about you?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Never mind me, I have to play The Neverhood at my own pace (which is slow and not suitable for a playthrough). Perhaps I will catch up later.

My reasons for not playing more: the weather is unbelievably beautiful here (a veritable summer at the beginning of November), the hills and mountains are gorgeous in autumn and I have to ride my new bike as much as I can before the nuclear war starts and the whole world goes to hell. We’re living Dr. Strangelove, folks!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Karlok - 02 November 2022 06:09 AM

Are we ready to move to the next section or do Char, Veovis, Nico, zobraks need more time to finish reading the wall? Doom, how about you?

I gave up on the wall at around screen 20 after learning that I wasn’t even halfway Meh

Puzzle-wise I’m in Team Zobraks and the rest of the slowpokers. All I’ve done besides getting to the Hall of Records is gone to the lift with the lever and the button but have no idea what I’m supposed to do there, so if everyone else is finding the game easy it might be better to leave me behind! I don’t want to slow everyone down.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top