• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Say something about the adventure game in the post above.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 10 August 2022 08:35 PM

My feeling about Blazing Dragons is much the same as yours about Stupid Invaders, BB. Want to play it. Can’t. Actually, it looks like a great game that reminds me of Discworld 1 with a bright sunny medieval atmosphere and humor. So it’s bringing up some annoyance that the reason I can’t play it is because SEGA or whoever holds the rights thinks it’s a good idea not to let them go, or at least sell them so that we can play it.

If you find a compatible second-hand console copy, you can play it with ScummVM.

http://www.scummvm.org/news/20200820/

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Except my PC hasn’t had a working CD/DVD drive for years.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Here ya go, Charo. This might help.

Mod edit - Link removed. Please do not link to sites hosting abandonware.

This Collection Chamber site is incredible. His writing is enjoyable, many of the games he digs up are deeeeeep excavations, and he provides his readers with the means to play them all.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Below The Root is a prime example of how, in the good ol’ days, the power of your imagination was far more important than the power of your computer. Look at that intricate box art—I could get lost in the details for an hour! Look at the screenshots of the game that comes in the box. So simple, so little to look at, and yet it would have planted such potent seeds in my mind that I would have been carried away to another world playing this game, I have little doubt.
I searched for more screenshots of the game, and the writing in the game would have also, in a less is more way, launched my imagination deep, deep, below the roots. Great name for a game, book, or musical album, too.

Say something about…

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Tenebra - 09 August 2022 01:01 PM

It is correct that Fade to Black was the sequel of Flashback, but I thought the order was:

1) Another World.
2) Flashback.
3) Fade to Black.

I was unaware of the existence of Heart of the Alien.wow.

That’s the order of release of the three games but Another World and its sequel Heart of the Alien are not connected to Flashback (or its sequel Fade to Black), aside from similar gameplay mechanics and being published by the same studio; Delphine Software.

Neither game is set within the same fictional universe and they do not share the same developers, so Flashback and Fade to Black are not canonical sequels to Another World in anyway whatsoever.  They’re just games with similar gameplay mechanics and graphics, released by the same publisher, in the same way that Shadow Warrior is not a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, just because both games share similar gameplay mechanics, the same game engine and were both published by 3D Realms.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Riddle of Master Lu is one of those almost forgotten games, that is surprisingly high quality, technically speaking. It also has one of the most convoluted “escape room” puzzles ever made. I counted the steps you need to take, and even when you do everything perfectly, you need to do 40 things in a single room.

Say something about Martian Memorandum

Image Attachments

238522-martian-memorandum-dos-front-cover.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Martian Memorandum, like Mean Streets before it, has dated horribly and is borderline unplayable these days.  Still, like so many of the Access Software games, the technology employed was groundbreaking and ahead of its time back in the day.  I kinda wish that the chaps over at Big Finish Games (Chris Jones and Aaron Connors, formally of Access Software) would remake Martian Memorandum in the same manner that they remade Mean Streets as Tex Murphy: Overseer.  Perhaps that’s something they could do, once they’ve completed their upcoming remake of The Pandora Directive.  The Tex Murphy games are easily some of the greatest FMV games of all time (leagues above most FMV titles), so it’s a pity that there’s one Tex Murphy tale (Martian Memorandum) which I have no inclination to return to whenever I do my semi-regular replay of the series).

Now, somebody can say something about…

King’s Quest VII

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’d prefer to see a screenshot, or ideally both box art and a screen. It really helps me sink into the vibe of a game when I’m reading the opinion or forming my own.

Anyway, on to KQVII…
I’ve only played bits of it on a friend’s PC around the time it was released. I wasn’t all that impressed. The cartoony style just didn’t leave an impression, it reminded me of those older Disney movies I’d never watched and never wanted to watch. What I remember of the gameplay was that it deviated from the typical Sierra style into “click on something and see what happens”. Not to say there weren’t puzzles, but they seemed lightweight in comparison to the earlier SCI Sierra I’d known and loved. But I could be completely wrong about that because of my brief playtime. Would I play the game again and give it another shot? Sure, in a context like a community playthrough I’d be happy to do so. On my own however, it’s unlikely.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

The cartoon style was certainly an interesting direction for the series, and it took the series quite far from its origins. Of course where the series went after that was even more far removed from the original concept, so much so that many consider KQVII as the last game in the series. Or the last King’s Quest game in or out of the series.

————————————————————————————————————-

Now, what about this:

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

I’ve never played Eye of the Kraken and judging by the pigeon English and poor grammar within the text of that screenshot, I’m unlikely to any time soon either.  As somebody who cares greatly about the effective power of a well written sentence and the importence of correct grammar, it would simply infuriate me too much to play any game where I would inevitably spend 50% of my time internally correcting the grammar for each and every character’s line of dialogue.

Now, sink your teeth into this game and provide us all with your thoughts…

A Vampyre Story

NOTE: I would include a screenshot too but I’m currently cat sitting for my parents this week and using my Dad’s Mac whilst staying at their place and said Mac is an antiquated pile of junk.  It barely works and trying to upload images and get links is a headache and a half.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Maupiti Island: I have never even heard of this game, but it looks like it has some unique mechanics! The fact that you can see who is where, and what time it is, along with an overworld map, and a list of suspects reminds me of the modern Sherlock Holmes board game series or Laura Bow. I’m curious what the rest of the game is like.

Vampyre Story: I started playing this late last September and for the first couple of hours I thought ‘wow! This is great! Good sense of humor, decent puzzles, unique setting and characters.’ But then it kind of falls apart as you go along. The translation is an obstacle that makes solving certain puzzles much more tedious than they should be. The story, perhaps also due to the translation, loses its clarity as you go, too. I think this game is one good translation and a month of play testing away from being really great. As it stands, I didn’t even bother finishing it. Shame, because I *really* wanted to like it, based on first impressions.

Okee dokee, I’m going to cheat a little here and present a puzzle platformer. I think I should be allowed to get away with it, because so much of this thread was spent talking about Another World, Flashback, Heart of the Alien, etc.
This is another game, very similar to those mentioned above, which Eric Chahi also had a hand in. One of the most tumultuous development cycles to date, at the time it was released. The final product did not live up to a lot of critical expectations, but I played it on Playstation many many years ago and was blown away. That game is…

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

St_Eddie - 13 August 2022 07:49 AM

...it would simply infuriate me too much to play any game where I would inevitably spend 50% of my time internally correcting the grammar for each and every character’s line of dialogue.

I become very frustrated when games are plagued by poor grammar, typos and spelling errors, botched idioms, etcetera.
I think that anyone who is going through all the effort to design, program, and publish a game—in English—ought to go the extra inch and have it tested by native English speakers for linguistic accuracy. Compared to every other aspect of creating a game, this seems like a pretty easy one.

Takes me out of it when I find myself having to either parse poorly constructed sentences for their true meaning in order to understand what to do or what’s going on.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 13 August 2022 11:12 AM

Maupiti Island: I have never even heard of this game, but it looks like it has some unique mechanics! The fact that you can see who is where, and what time it is, along with an overworld map, and a list of suspects reminds me of the modern Sherlock Holmes board game series or Laura Bow. I’m curious what the rest of the game is like.

It has the reputation of being one of the hardest adventures ever. I once gave it a half-hearted attempt and didn’t finish it.

Vampyre Story: I started playing this late last September and for the first couple of hours I thought ‘wow! This is great! Good sense of humor, decent puzzles, unique setting and characters.’ But then it kind of falls apart as you go along. The translation is an obstacle that makes solving certain puzzles much more tedious than they should be. The story, perhaps also due to the translation, loses its clarity as you go, too. I think this game is one good translation and a month of play testing away from being really great. As it stands, I didn’t even bother finishing it. Shame, because I *really* wanted to like it, based on first impressions.

Translation…? What do you mean, in what language did you play it? AFAIK the developers are native English speakers.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There was a remake attempt for Maupiti Island a couple of years back, by the original creator. It was on Kickstarter but failed to reach its target.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Karlok, regarding Vampyre Story: If that’s the case (and in hindsight, I remember reading that some ex-Lucas Arts employees worked on the game), then gosh darn that is some very poor writing, in almost every sense of the word ‘writing’. Often unclear and unhelpful, both from a gameplay perspective and a storytelling one.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top