• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are favorite adventure games that did something unique?

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

*its own

If you’re interested in finishing King’s Quest III, I’d recommend one of the two quality remakes:

https://infamousadventures.itch.io/kings-quest-iii-vga-remake
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq3/about/overview.html

(the remakes of the other early KQ games are good as well)

Agree aboutNelly Cootalot, both games really do have a strong and distinctive style.

Another game that did something unique: The Last Express. Not just the mechanic, but the way you observe and interact with your fellow passengers and the workers aboard The Orient Express, riding towards the start of World War I. The historical and sociological angle is pretty cool. It doesn’t get overly complicated and there’s a weird tales element to the story as well.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Vegetable Party - 25 May 2022 08:05 PM

*its own

If you’re interested in finishing King’s Quest III, I’d recommend one of the two quality remakes:

https://infamousadventures.itch.io/kings-quest-iii-vga-remake
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq3/about/overview.html

(the remakes of the other early KQ games are good as well)

Oh, you wouldn’t be able to pay me to replay a KQ game. I can appreciate them as innovative, but enjoyable? No.

Thanks anyhow   Wink

(hides quickly before Baron Blubba sees this post)

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

PlanetX - 25 May 2022 07:11 PM

You’re given a symbol or phrase of symbols with a list of potential meanings to choose from. You’re meant to make an educated guess based on the context of the archeological sight, what item an inscription is on, or other elements of the story. When you assign a symbol the correct meaning sometimes the player character will remark that she thinks it’s correct. Other times you’ll need to get the help of a fellow researcher to confirm or disconfirm your selection.

ah, thanks PlanetX, this is quite very different than Riven’s, in which its numerals deciphering relyed on giving attention to certain mechanics while fiddling with them

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Charophycean - 25 May 2022 09:52 PM

Oh, you wouldn’t be able to pay me to replay a KQ game. I can appreciate them as innovative, but enjoyable? No.

Thanks anyhow   Wink

(hides quickly before Baron Blubba sees this post)

If not for nostalgia, I’d feel the same way about most KQ games. However, the remakes of II and III by Tierra/AGD/Himalaya (one studio, three names over time) are two of my favorite adventure games, and would be regardless of their heritage.

To answer the OP, I really liked the memory system in Resonance. With a little fine tuning, I’d love to see it integrated into many other adventure games. It’s a great way to ascribe motives to your character’s actions, rather than just clicking a noun on a noun and hoping for the best. If you have to attach a ‘memorized idea’ to the action for it to work, it ensures, at least to a degree, that you *really* have at least some idea of why you are doing what you are doing. A nice ‘nother layer to inventory and environment-based puzzles, and also possibly to dialogue puzzles.

Also, I enjoy the heck out of the way Conquests of the Longbow allows you to fail in your decision making at pretty much every event in the game, or just do nothing a lot of the time, and still make it to the end, so long as you don’t flat out die. Of course, if you do fail at everything/do nothing, you might flat out die at the end.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Baron_Blubba - 26 May 2022 12:42 PM

If not for nostalgia, I’d feel the same way about most KQ games. However, the remakes of II and III

YIKES!
Manannan used to give me nightmares as a kid, I wouldn’t wanna meet him again now

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I agree with Karlok about Gorogoa and The Longing and would like to add Starship Titanic for its unique way of changing the bots abilities to cooperate when they go a bit wacky and for the crazy music puzzle I’ve never encountered elsewhere.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Inside - I was scared at times due to its story, the creepy atmosphere and the way some puzzles worked. Doing the right thing, not getting spot, fleeing, the sharp barking dogs, quite intensive. I enjoyed it a lot more than Limbo, looking forward to Somerville.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

The Legend of Kyrandia: Malcolm’s Revenge

Player can switch the protagonist between three personalities - truthful, normal, and deceitful -
in which the right personality can help in solving some of the game’s puzzles;
at a specific point, the player has to make a choice out of three, with two of these fixing the personality to a specific one as a direct result.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

cozyhome - 27 May 2022 01:24 PM

Player can switch the protagonist between three personalities - truthful, normal, and deceitful -
at a specific point, the player has to make a choice out of three, with two of these fixing the personality to a specific one as a direct result.

Loved the idea of the mechanic - but the game itself makes my “most frustrating games ever” list. SO MUCH moon logic.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I enjoy some moon logic here and there.

Dexter Stardust - restarted my interest in point & click adventures. Nice high-res graphics with good music. The game has an peaceful and relaxing mood. It has been in dev for a long time and you can feel some care for detail in the game, which overall is a nice experience. Fun-Trailer:

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Charophycean - 27 May 2022 10:40 PM
cozyhome - 27 May 2022 01:24 PM

Loved the idea of the mechanic - but the game itself makes my “most frustrating games ever” list. SO MUCH moon logic.

Also the first adventure game to feature a Hiphop-inspired theme song (and one New Jack Swing banger on the soundtrack as well).

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2022-04-13

PM

PlanetX - 25 May 2022 07:11 PM
Advie - 25 May 2022 04:28 PM
PlanetX - 25 May 2022 02:52 AM

Heavens Vault for the language deciphering puzzles. It really captured the feeling of learning a language in game form and made the puzzle solving tie into the game’s deep lore.

I haven’t played HV, was this ‘deciphering’ different than how the numrals were deciphered at Riven?

I haven’t played Riven so IDK how it compares but I can explain how it works in Heaven’s Vault so you can tell for yourself.

You come across ancient texts or objects with inscriptions which will prompt a screen like this:

You’re given a symbol or phrase of symbols with a list of potential meanings to choose from. You’re meant to make an educated guess based on the context of the archeological sight, what item an inscription is on, or other elements of the story. When you assign a symbol the correct meaning sometimes the player character will remark that she thinks it’s correct. Other times you’ll need to get the help of a fellow researcher to confirm or disconfirm your selection.

That’s basically how it works, and like with real languages that use pictographic symbols, there are repeated elements from one character to another which form different compounds. So overtime your understanding of the ancient language builds as you’re able to carry the previous knowledge you’ve accumulated over to your new translations.

I’ve not played Heaven Vault, it looks really good! Actually I’ve just posted about Boinihi The K’i Codex in another thread, and what I read about Heaven Vault sounds a bit familiar. The Black Cube games often have alien translation, the one in Catyph was really hard! But so cool, very unique too. That’s one of the reasons why I liked that series so much. In Boinihi there’s a whole alien Codex to translate and it’s brought in a clever and unique way. You need to find tools and understand enough symbols in order to decifer the whole book, which is done automatically once you have proved your understanding of the language. Anyway I can only recommend giving it a try! It might be a little hard to dive into the game, it’s not perfect and a little rigid (?) but honestly once I was into it, I couldn’t stop playing (until a very specific puzzle near the end Crazy )

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2005-04-15

PM

One of the most remarkable recent games i have played is called Journey and it has literally no clear spoken dialog, you must interpret and understand how to proceed from the icons and other visual language of the game. I have not completed it yet but it is truly unusual.

Two others that come to mind that cross the boundary from Adventure Game to other RPG but truly are ADVENTURES so i hope this can be allowed, are

Anachronox and Omichiron.

Both use a stunning unique visual approach to the story and many other unique elements. I will think of others, but Journey cam to mind right away.

another recent game with an unusual approach visually is Among Trees but I will have to dig for some screen shots of others ...

And I agree about Kyrandia III, it IS a very very opaque and frustrating game, that takes impossible leaps of logic. I think Westwood was losing its touch with that one. The First two are stunning and splendid Adventure Games of the highest standard.  Espeically the fully voiced versions I have the joy to own originals of.

C

Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin
“We Build Worlds”

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

PlanetX - 25 May 2022 02:52 AM

What are some of your favorite adventure games they did something different than the norm? Could be in terms of story, mechanics, aesthetics, etc. It could even just be a particular aspect of a game you don’t necessarily think is great overall.

I’d have to go back quite far to be reasonably certain that a game I remember fondly did something different than the rest…

Infocom had some pretty innovative games, though not all of them were among my favorites.

Deadline (1982) is, though. I assume that was if not the first, then at least one of the earliest attempts at a serious murder mystery. I remember how fascinating I found it to be able to question the members of the household, and seeing their reactions to your accusations. Sure, they may have been on rails but at least that meant they acted somewhat intelligently. Unlike, say, The Hobbit.

A Mind Forever Voyaging (1985) was - and still is - another favorite of mine. It’s unabashedly political, with almost no puzzles in the traditional sense of the word. It was the first of their larger-sized games, and it felt huge. I’m still blown away that this was released in the same year as King’s Quest II. I know a lot of people love the King’s Quest series, but story-wise it seemed content with putting Grim’s Fairy Tales and Count Dracula in a blender, then hit the purée button.

And then there was Deja Vu: A Nightmare Comes True!! (1985) on the Macintosh. Surely one of the very first point-and-click adventures? If nothing else because pointing and clicking itself was pretty new on home computers. The only typing you had to do was if you wanted to speak to someone, and that was only needed for cab rides.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Tick Tock: A Tale for Two: An adventure game for two players, where you communicate in real-time to solve puzzles together. Players share a game, branched out over two screens, intertwining clues, puzzles, points of progress and a story that ties it all together.

Do the Quest for Glory titles count as adventure games?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top