• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game to play next?

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

Hello mighty adventurers,

An easy question? I don’t think so.

I finished The Testament of Sherlock Holmes a while ago and April is just too far way to wait for the new Broken Sword. I always loved the big classics (e.g. Monkey Island) as much as I hated thriller/horror scenarios. Last but not least, I cannot buy a Daedalic’s game; not since I bought The Whispered World and was immensely disappointed.

So, ... what adventure to play next?

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

I’m also waiting for the new Broken sword! (and waiting… and waiting… and waiting…..)  Heart Eyes

I haven’t played The Whispered World yet, so don’t know…

Out of the clasics, have U already played Day of the tentacle,Gabriel Knight ,Discworld, or Indy:Fate of Atlantis, or Legend of Kyrandia?

Also, U might like The longest journey, Secret files:Tunguska, Runaway, Lost Horizon.

I am baaaaaaaack!

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

kate me - 20 February 2013 03:23 PM

I’m also waiting for the new Broken sword! (and waiting… and waiting… and waiting…..)  Heart Eyes

Out of the clasics, have U already played Day of the tentacle,Gabriel Knight ,Discworld, or Indy:Fate of Atlantis, or Legend of Kyrandia?

Also, U might like The longest journey, Secret files:Tunguska, Runaway, Lost Horizon.

Thank you for your answer,

yes, I have played the games you mention (except from FoA and LoK) and I loved The Longest Journey, Runaway and Lost Horizon. But Pendulo studios have disappointed me with the latest release in the series so I am afraid of buying Yesterday, for example.

Argh, 2015 is even further away to wait for Syberia Tongue

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Playing Drawn: The Painted Tower at the moment. It’s a visually impressive game with many wonderful sights to behold. The puzzles are mostly good fun too, though sometimes you’re stopped in your tracks and have no clue what you might have missed. The game doesn’t offer much of a story, but it’s enough to motivate you to beat the moderately difficult challenges. There’s a hint and a puzzle skipping function, but you shouldn’t misuse them if you want the game to remain a challenge, of course. I’ve only used the former once so far and that was because I couldn’t find an object. As it turned out, said object was somewhat hidden in plain sight in a rather implausible location. Everywhere else I read that the game is supposedly easy, but I don’t think so.
So, I recommend it. Smile

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Have you tried the Book of Unwritten Tales yet?

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

You don’t give an awful lot of information as to what you are looking for and have already played, forcing people to take stabs in the dark.

I would advise taking a look at the nominations for the Aggies this year for some inspiration:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23961

Besides the games nominated for concept, you can’t really go wrong. There were quite a few really good and adventures last year with a lot of variation and different approaches between them as well.

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

Primate Ryan - 20 February 2013 05:01 PM

You don’t give an awful lot of information as to what you are looking for and have already played, forcing people to take stabs in the dark.

I would advise taking a look at the nominations for the Aggies this year for some inspiration:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23961

Besides the games nominated for concept, you can’t really go wrong. There were quite a few really good and adventures last year with a lot of variation and different approaches between them as well.

I’ve read the awards, thank you very much. And people’s contribution has been very good so far.

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

CoyoteAG - 20 February 2013 04:56 PM

Critters Chronicles? Is it good? The review was so-so…

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-02-14

PM

My vote is The Book of Unwritten Tales.  I haven’t played Critters Chronicles yet so not sure about that one but the original is an instant classic in my opinion!

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Someday someone has to explain to me what’s so casual about the Drawn series. Well, about the first part, anyway. The puzzles aren’t any easier than in “normal” adventure games, the game even lacks a hotspot reveal function, a nod towards accessibility now common in our most beloved genre, and otherwise it is rife with all the little niggling issues that make you constantly grind to a halt outside of actual puzzle solving. Just now I was stuck because I knew which action I wanted to do, but a certain hotspot was so small that I must have missed it when I tried to use an item with it. So I guessed that I needed a different item, which I searched for a while in vain, before the hint system basically told me that I had to do what I suspected I had to all along.
Oh, and the hotspot sparkling is completely arbitrary, some objects sparkle, some don’t, they do before you have any use for them and sometimes continue to do so even after their use is exhausted. In the end the sparkling is more irritating than helpful.

But apart from this perception issue and a few somewhat connected issues with it, now that I finished Drawn: The Painted Tower I still stand by my recommendation. It’s really worth a try! Smile

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Is BS:SC actually releasing in April? My latest Kickstarter update says it’s being pushed back to the second half of 2013. Not that I have a problem with that—I’d rather wait for a better game than take something that’s underdeveloped. But I’m still curious.

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

McPillager - 20 February 2013 05:30 PM

Critter Chronicles is a prequel. I lied the Critter Chronicles too but Book of Unwritten Tales is better. it is longer, has better characters (well a couple of them are the same), a better story, and better puzzles. There is a review of both games on this site so you can check it out. Reading the games to you liked, I think you will enjoy it.

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

rottford - 20 February 2013 09:21 PM

Is BS:SC actually releasing in April? My latest Kickstarter update says it’s being pushed back to the second half of 2013. Not that I have a problem with that—I’d rather wait for a better game than take something that’s underdeveloped. But I’m still curious.

Not to be misunderstood, I just copied the release date from the AG webpage Smile

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

CoyoteAG - 20 February 2013 10:35 PM

Critter Chronicles is a prequel. I lied the Critter Chronicles too but Book of Unwritten Tales is better. it is longer, has better characters (well a couple of them are the same), a better story, and better puzzles. There is a review of both games on this site so you can check it out. Reading the games to you liked, I think you will enjoy it.

Thanks for clearing this out. You are referring to this, right?

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

kate me - 20 February 2013 03:23 PM

oh, BTW, I had bought The Whispered World from The Adventure Shop but -as I said, I was so frustrated that I had it uninstalled after a short while. It is just taking up disk space on my hard drive since then. I had even posted to the shop asking if it was possible to send it back or exchange it for another game but got no reply… I can provide you with the installation files and the key if you like, for free, even though I’m not sure it is a legit thing to do or not Smile I simply find it a shame to have it sit there played by no one ...

Let me know if you are interested…

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

McPillager - 21 February 2013 12:18 AM
CoyoteAG - 20 February 2013 10:35 PM

Thanks for clearing this out. You are referring to this, right?

Yes, that’s the one!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top