• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New January 2022 Games

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just looked at the new “best of” video of the five best games being released in January 2022. If this is the best, methinks we are in for a long slog. Infatuation with retro pixilation is alive and well with four of the five games. None of these trailers, which are all very short by past standards, really give us any idea what the game is about. To have an idea, you would need to see the script balloons. But, for whatever reason, full-screen was not available. Not looking hopeful. Hope the February show will be much better.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 344

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

The new Carol Reed game, Amos Greene’s Final Repose, released today!

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

judging by the demos, I think that KAPIA (January 25th) seems more interesting than Blackberry the Witch. But that’s just my personal opinion.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I think only three of the games are actually (retro) pixelated by design. And since it’s a style that is both accessible and allows for a great deal of creativity, I think it will remain a staple of indie adventure games.

Adv_Lvr has mentioned a couple of times AAA studios have very little interest in producing the type of games that would be mentioned on the front page of this site. With that in mind I was surprised at the high style, high concept trailer of A Cure For Jessica.

I also rather like how the trailers convey the atmosphere of these games, I hope the soundtracks are as good as the music used in this video. Personally, I’m most curious about Blackberry the Witch: Journey.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 31 December 2021 07:18 PM

I just looked at the new “best of” video of the five best games being released in January 2022. If this is the best, methinks we are in for a long slog. Infatuation with retro pixilation is alive and well with four of the five games. None of these trailers, which are all very short by past standards, really give us any idea what the game is about. To have an idea, you would need to see the script balloons. But, for whatever reason, full-screen was not available. Not looking hopeful. Hope the February show will be much better.

Yup, I saw that too. With 95% of our adventure games being indies now I’m used to it. I’m playing 2064 Read Only Memories which is about as pixelated as it gets. Not going to show off the graphics potential of modern day hardware any time soon.

Thank goodness I’ve got 54 adventure games made in between 2007 and 2012 on my Alienware computer I bought at half price books for cheap I’m playing through. Some of them, like Haunted are pretty amazing to look at.

We got about 6 AA adventure games in 2021 so hopefully we’ll see the same in 2022:

https://omnigameplayer.com/best-aa-games/

There are no AAA adventure games in development, in work or on the horizon. The good news is, the last one made, Detroit: Became Human sold over 6 million copies, so it could happen.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

LittleRose - 01 January 2022 05:49 PM

judging by the demos, I think that KAPIA (January 25th) seems more interesting than Blackberry the Witch. But that’s just my personal opinion.

Agreed. I p layed the demos and liked KAPIA very much (although it took a minute to warm up to it because of serious info overload), didn’t care for Blackberry the Witch at all. Thanks for mentioning KAPIA, by the way - I didn’t even notice they posted a release date.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Adv_Lvr - 01 January 2022 07:41 PM

There are no AAA adventure games in development, in work or on the horizon. The good news is, the last one made, Detroit: Became Human sold over 6 million copies, so it could happen.

Heart

You can tentatively put the next one by Quantic Dream on that list - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). It is described as

“a third-person, single-player, story-driven, road-tripping action-adventure about hope, love, friendship, robots — and the power of words.”

I think the emphasis will largely be on adventure. Seems interesting!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

DCast - 01 January 2022 10:36 PM

Heart

You can tentatively put the next one by Quantic Dream on that list - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). It is described as

“a third-person, single-player, story-driven, road-tripping action-adventure about hope, love, friendship, robots — and the power of words.”

I think the emphasis will largely be on adventure. Seems interesting!

Just my opinion, Dustborn is an AA level action-adventure game being developed by Redthread games and published by Quantic Dream.

Now Quantic Dream is developing an AAA level game, it’s an action-adventure game called Stars Wars Eclipse and is very big budget: https://www.starwarseclipse.com/

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

For January in particular that’s likely the case (I haven’t looked at every new release), but for the whole year there’s a lot of adventure games in various different high/high-er fidelity art styles that I’m looking forward to. Syberia The World Before, STASIS Bone Totem, Crowns and Pawns: Kingdom of Deceit, Dordogne, The Night is Gray, AI2:NirvanAI Initiative and Enigma Archives: Raincode, to name a some.

Looking forward to more information on TTG & Deck Nine’s “Expanse” game and Wolf Among Us 2. Also curious to see more from Star Trek Resurgence.

Plus there’s always a good surprise or two like Conway and Road 96 from last year. 

Yup, I saw that too. With 95% of our adventure games being indies now I’m used to it. I’m playing 2064 Read Only Memories which is about as pixelated as it gets. Not going to show off the graphics potential of modern day hardware any time soon.

Love that game, cant wait to finally play the sequel this year.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

PlanetX - 02 January 2022 06:25 PM

For January in particular that’s likely the case (I haven’t looked at every new release), but for the whole year there’s a lot of adventure games in various different high/high-er fidelity art styles that I’m looking forward to. Syberia The World Before, STASIS Bone Totem, Crowns and Pawns: Kingdom of Deceit, Dordogne, The Night is Gray, AI2:NirvanAI Initiative and Enigma Archives: Raincode, to name a some.

Looking forward to more information on TTG & Deck Nine’s “Expanse” game and Wolf Among Us 2. Also curious to see more from Star Trek Resurgence.

Plus there’s always a good surprise or two like Conway and Road 96 from last year. 

Love that game, cant wait to finally play the sequel this year.

Despite the extremely puxalated graphics, 2064 is a joy to play. The voice acting is simply amazing and the characters and plot are first rate.

I’ll play the sequel, it should be as good.

Heart

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

In my opinion:

1) Those videos are someone’s opinions about new games. They don’t even show all games that are coming out, so someone has already pre-chosen those “best” games, and that’s one of the reasons why I rarely watch those videos. There can be real gems that are completely omitted.

2) January is not reflective of the whole game scene. Many companies and publishers avoid January releases, because many people have spent their money during Christmas time, and many games have dominated the game discussion around that time. Cyberpunk 2077 is a great example of that, even though the game sure wasn’t great. Of course some say that it’s a good idea to go against the stream, and release in January because most publishers don’t. In any case, at least traditionally January has been a month to avoid when publishing games.

3) There is good pixel arts and bad pixel arts. Of course, if you don’t personally like any pixel arts that can be a limiting factor, but just having that style in art direction doesn’t tell anything about the actual quality. From the technical side of things, what can look like pixel arts can just be blocky hi-res graphics! Of course it can be annoying all the same, if you don’t like it, but there’s a difference.

4) There are games with “good” graphics coming out. (Good as in technically 3D or something, not necessarily reflective of actual quality.)
Isn’t A Cure for Jessica that has already been mentioned, an example of those “more advanced” games actually being released?

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

GateKeeper - 10 January 2022 06:19 AM

In my opinion: 3) There is good pixel arts and bad pixel arts. Of course, if you don’t personally like any pixel arts that can be a limiting factor, but just having that style in art direction doesn’t tell anything about the actual quality. From the technical side of things, what can look like pixel arts can just be blocky hi-res graphics! Of course it can be annoying all the same, if you don’t like it, but there’s a difference.

In general, I don’t like any pixel art. However there’s a difference between, let’s say Freddy Pharkus, Frontier Pharmacist pixel art and Kathy Rain pixel art. In the former, that was all you were going to get. Technology wasn’t going to get you a higher resolution for years to come. I can live with that. In the latter, it was a design choice. It didn’t have to be that way. I don’t have to like a design choice.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 14 January 2022 06:19 PM
GateKeeper - 10 January 2022 06:19 AM

In my opinion: 3) There is good pixel arts and bad pixel arts. Of course, if you don’t personally like any pixel arts that can be a limiting factor, but just having that style in art direction doesn’t tell anything about the actual quality. From the technical side of things, what can look like pixel arts can just be blocky hi-res graphics! Of course it can be annoying all the same, if you don’t like it, but there’s a difference.

In general, I don’t like any pixel art. However there’s a difference between, let’s say Freddy Pharkus, Frontier Pharmacist pixel art and Kathy Rain pixel art. In the former, that was all you were going to get. Technology wasn’t going to get you a higher resolution for years to come. I can live with that. In the latter, it was a design choice. It didn’t have to be that way. I don’t have to like a design choice.

I know how you feel, however,  many of our adventure games today are made by one person at home with a tiny budget. Lucky us.

The days of most adventure game releases having state of the art graphics that take advantage of modern hardware are over. We get what we get.

I have tons of PC adventure games I am playing on my Alienware computer that were made around 2007-2012. Those look amazing.

The good news is that these indie game look great and play great on your phone. Kathy Rain DC is a real treat on my iPhone.

Heart

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

KAPIA is (not mentioned in the article) also coming out at the end of this month, the 25th.

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Smile

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

Advie - 15 January 2022 10:27 AM

KAPIA is (not mentioned in the article) also coming out at the end of this month, the 25th.

And it is quite unforetunate because it will be released on January 25th on GOG and Steam.
Thank you very much for bringing it to our common attention <3
Here is a trailer:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top