• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabeGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Political and ideological discourse in adventure games

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

I find the way tentacles are represented in some adventure games as disgusting. Either they do nothing and have a band, who’s claim to fame is how loud it is (are they implying tentacles can’t be proper musicians?) or they are evil and want to take over the world. Where are the normal tentacles who have a job? It shows the game creators are Western, white, middle-aged conservatives who know nothing about their surroundings.

I am offended.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TerminusEst - 16 February 2013 01:36 AM

I disagree. AMFV shows the effects of a pure populist being elected into office - not necessarily a Republican, or a Democrat. (The fact that Reagan was himself quite the populist doesn’t really factor into it.) And I think it does a great job of tracing out the cause-effect path over the five decades of Rockvil’s decay.

Yeah, that’s how it played for me too. What counts is the player’s experience of the game, and I don’t agree with Frogacuda’s negative comments. But here’s what Steve Meretzky said about AMFV in the documentary Get Lamp:

I wanted to show people what a warmongering Christian Right pandering, environment trashing, rights trampling asshole Reagan was. And of course the game was so succesful we never had another President like that.

And then he laughed.  Cool

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

xxax - 16 February 2013 06:04 AM

I find the way tentacles are represented in some adventure games as disgusting. Either they do nothing and have a band, who’s claim to fame is how loud it is (are they implying tentacles can’t be proper musicians?) or they are evil and want to take over the world. Where are the normal tentacles who have a job? It shows the game creators are Western, white, middle-aged conservatives who know nothing about their surroundings.

I am offended.

This is an excellent post. Kudos. Smile

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Fien - 16 February 2013 06:54 AM

But here’s what Steve Meretzky said about AMFV in the documentary Get Lamp:

I wanted to show people what a warmongering Christian Right pandering, environment trashing, rights trampling asshole Reagan was. And of course the game was so succesful we never had another President like that.

And then he laughed.  Cool

Haha! Grin I knew that Reagan was the catalyst for AMFV (even though I still think they hide it well) and I’d seen Get Lamp but I just don’t remember that quote. Epic. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

Sam and Max episode Abe Lincoln Must Die was a great model to show how political themes should appear in an adventure game. There was no indoctriniation or propaganda, the disturbing truths were presented in a funny and clever way.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

True, but it’s a hilarious comedy game. Should we prevent non-comedy games from using the political motives? I think not, but it needs to be done properly, meaning it must not resemble TV News program.

I can’t think of any games right now (perhaps Spycraft to an extent) that does that (haven’t played The Moment of Silence), but I’m sure there’re good mysteries/thrillers that had done it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

well, I guess I should be fair to Syberia at this point. Despite including some themes I detest, it does a good job showing the truth about idealized middle class yuppie life.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top