• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleFlorus

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #67 Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

AliBK - 05 August 2021 05:10 AM

But I have written for a couple of other adventure games which I’d certainly encourge people to check out, like Unforeseen Incidents.

We had a community playthrough of Unforeseen Incidents near the end of 2019, and I really liked it, especially the character interactions.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

A couple of puzzles solved, enjoyed the lot of ‘em.

The barrel puzzle was a bit on the light side, but enjoyable while it lasted.

I just arrived at the Operation game.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sebastian and I have arrived on Widebeard’s ship. I decided to save/quit there. I’m guessing that sometime between now and Monday I will need to find a way to make it from the ship to Gloomholm island where the endpoint to this episode obviously lies since the endpoint screenshot depicts dry land.

I will say that I made use of a WT one or three times to get from my “stuck point” to my current location. I do recall one point in one of the wildly-funny narratives, Alasdair comments that it is possible to brute-force your way through one of the game’s dialog puzzles, but you would be foolish to do so since there is a WT available. Nuff said!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Adv_Lvr: I mentioned it a few pages back… sadly there are no more plans for Nelly games. But I have written for a couple of other adventure games which I’d certainly encourge people to check out, like Unforeseen Incidents.

First, thanks for joining this CPT. And 2nd, if you do a third game, you got my money.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 05 August 2021 09:38 PM

But I have written for a couple of other adventure games which I’d certainly encourge people to check out, like Unforeseen Incidents.

We had a community playthrough of Unforeseen Incidents near the end of 2019, and I really liked it, especially the character interactions.

I missed that playthrough. And I don’t know why. If I had known how much I would enjoy Nelly, and would have known Alasdair was involved, I’m sure I would have joined.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Lady Kestrel - 05 August 2021 09:38 PM

I played in that CPT, it’s a great game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Won the Operation game. Couple of thoughts and feelings: the name of the game was piratey and clever but also reminded me of something sad, a weird combination of the feels. Not sure if that caused the following confusion about the parameters of the game. Was I supposed to have a steady cursor/hand? Should I avoid certain parts of the screen, do I move straight up or should I put a little English on it?

I liked the way it looked, but it was more of an obstacle than a fun puzzle for me.

It won’t spoil the mood, though. Let’s show that supercilious son of a beach Van Zandt his life too is but a grain of sand in the indifferent ocean of infinity.

weirdly dark juncture alert:
“Unforeseen incidents”, an apt description of my conception and the subsequent ill-fated shotgun marriage between my parents.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I re-read this thread from start to finish looking for something Alasdair said. He was talking about the graphic style for this game. Since it wasn’t mentioned here, it must have been in one of the narratives. Particularly he mentioned using black borders that are slightly offset from color blocks. Earlier in this thread the subject of a Monkey Island influence came up. But I wonder if the great director Chuck Jones, and his art direction of the Pepe Le Pew Looney Tunes cartoons might also have been an influence on his design style.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I am catching up and I am close to finish all the tasks required to continue sailing and get to the land of Gloomholm I will keep playing tomorrow and I think I can join you in which I presume is the last section of the game.

So far the game is great! I will comment more when I get there.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok gang, the time has come. Please continue on and finish the game. And of course, let us know, good or bad if you liked it or not.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As mentioned before, I made it to Widebeard’s ship. But weekend stuff prohibited moving any further. Since we have the green light to play to the end, I can play as much as I want when time permits. Hope to get to the end before next Monday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t particularly care for the arcade sequences in the “dream state.” The Shooting Gallery was particularly difficult. I had a problem moving the cursor to the exact position it needed to be. Hint: This is not, as far as I can tell, a timed game. So I think you can take your time to hit the targets. Still, you might want to save a game before you start.

Have arrived on dry land, but not the place where AL said we should stop for the last episode. Not sure I’ve got all the puns in place. Certainly, being an audio-pill, I know what B&O stands for. Not sure if another guy is a pun on Eddy Redmane. Unfortunately, Ron Popiel, the famed TV gadget inventor, died last week. So the pun on one of his inventions fell a little flat. (But how could you know that when you wrote the plot.) ((Was reminded of some advice someone gave me long ago. The surest way to insure someone will leave the company is to put their picture in the company’s annual report.))

There is a lot going on in this last episode. It all seems quite rushed as opposed to the earlier episodes. Wonder if Alasdare found himself nearing the end, and just wanted to get the game finished.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I finally arrived to Gloomholm.

I must say I absolutely loved the Guttering Howls section. So many things to do, and most of them non linear. If you get stuck in one task, you can continue with another. In fact, I started as many tasks as possible, just to talk to Sebastian and see the to-do list bigger and bigger Smile

Lovely secondary characters, great music from the folk singer. Funny puzzles (the walkie talkie shells, the candle in Chinatown).

The Operation game, sorry, the Amputation game, cost me a little, maybe because I never played Operation as a child. My problem was I thought the order was important, or if the opponent tried to extract an item first. I made it most difficult from what it was, a matter of steady hand.

I have to say El Mono’s part touched my heart. I loved the way Nelly unwrapped El Mono’s story and finally freed him from Widebeard’s control.

Now let’s find the legendary, legendary, legendary Bloodbeard’s treasure!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, all good things must come to an end and I finished my journey. I will really miss Nelly…

About the final part, we have a classic three items needed puzzle (I laughed a lot listening to Nelly when she has to sing the biscuits jingle). It was also funny when the game mocks of itself about bad or forced puns (like the will).

I liked the ending: Nelly recovering Bloodbeard’s medallion, Widebeard being redimed, and the bitch Baronese with Van Zandt in ice and waiting for the abominable ice bird). By the way, this scene with the abominable reminded me somehow one of the final scenes of the movie Little Nicky, I think.

Nelly’s voice and performance is superb. I love English accent and I was delighted the whole game listening to her.

And that’s all. You made a gorgeous work, Alasdair. I will sure play the other games you said you participate in the writing and of course I’ll keep an eye in your next projects. You said Nelly was based in your girlfriend? She is vegetarian and love birds I guess?

It’s been a real pleasure playing this CPT and thank you Adv_Lvr for all your work here.

P.S Sorry, but I couldn’t resist Smile

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

walas74 - 12 August 2021 04:06 PM

LOL!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top