• News
  • Reviews
  • Games Database
  • Game Discovery
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Lair of the Clockwork God

Total Posts: 274

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Gatekeeper requested a new thread be opened, so this is it.

Gatekeeper -

]Watching those store videos made me feel “WTF?!”, so it wasn’t quite what the series is supposed to be all about. Also, the devs said at one point that they tried to come up with a sequel, but couldn’t do it and abandoned the idea. Apparently, they thought of a new concept that gave them a creative outlet to do it. The problem is, most of the time when adventure series try to re-invent themselves the result is horrible, like Mask of Eternity.

I will try that game some time later on, as Time, Gentlemen, Please! is one of the bestest games ever, this one could also be a positive surprise. But if those videos are indicative of anything, I seem to dislike almost everything I see there.  Frown

(And this discussion is probably completely off-topic in this thread, somebody who plays that game can open a new thread for it?)

I can say that after a few hours with this game that it’s 100% not horrible at all. It’s completely hilarious, and a continuation of the other Ben & Dan games. In fact think it’s even better. If you’re a fan of those then you’ll most likely love the game.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

This game is at least a 9/10. Almost everything it does it does it impeccably (it’s not exactly an adventure but at least 50% of the characters in the game are adventurers!) I love that even some of its flaws are actually big parts of the game (but I won’t spoil it further).

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2004-06-17

PM

Thanks you two, glad you enjoyed it! Smile

Quick update for anyone interested: it’s now available on Steam and Gog, and for Mac and Linux as well as Windows.

Total Posts: 209

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

This game is incredible, and so innovative. Very surprised it’s not getting more attention. Yes it’s cheesy, yes the controls take getting used to, but it’s made with so much detail and love for the craft of adventure games. It really achieves those feelings of joy in getting to explore new seasons and solve new puzzles. The story, the mechanics and the solutions are very surprising and fresh. I think combining platforming and P&C and into such meta gameplay is brilliant. I don’t play games with mouse and keyboard so much anymore, I play on my TV (PC hookup and PS4), so I appreciate ways to make gameplay feel tactile. In the last few years, there have been some wonderful genre busting experiences that have totally elevated this genre.

Total Posts: 1817

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It took a little time for me to get over “but i didnt want to play a platformer right now”.. and im thoroughly enjoying this. Its begrudgingly a platformer with a lot of great adventure elements.

Total Posts: 162

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I enjoyed it a lot. I have a feeling the genre mix is going to put a few people off, but it really shouldn’t. The platforming is gentle, and it’s no more difficult than The Cave or other hybrids.

Total Posts: 1817

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^There have been some action sequences that nearly put me off… definitely some frustrating stuff for me. Also I mostly used a controller but had to stop and switch to keyboard/mouse for the gun stuff.. that mechanic doesnt fit well on controller the way it is. The game is very clever though.. a lot of very nicely done puzzles with a variety of “aha” moments.. and I havnt quite finished it yet (very near the end I believe) but I havnt yet needed to consult a walkthrough for anything. (I needed to for both of the first games in some cases where the pixel hunting was not working for me). One particular puzzle highlight in this game: Using the “glitch” to get the last ram. I just suddenly had a “oh youre kidding me thats going to work” moment. They never really fooled me with thinking the store was real, but I really thought that was a real slightly annoying glitch.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!