• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Favorite adventure game ending ever?

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Oh, oh! I love these topics! My turn, my turn!

Space Quest 3: Hands down, my personal favorite.
Full Throttle: Perfectly executed and thrilling. And a tad bittersweet. Still one of my favorite endings.
Grim Fandango: Another great one from Schaffer, and note that I didn’t like the overall game that much.
The Last Express: Beautifully orchestrated and worthy of a classic cinema epic.
A Mind Forever Voyaging: Perhaps the best ending of a text adventure and surely among the best ever.

But, when it comes to Sci-Fi endings…

Mission Critical

One of the very, very few endings so wonderful that elevated a game from being “good” to “masterful”. Rivals the best sci-fi stories from the best writers. Technically it’s two endings, but both of them are equally thought-provoking.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

/palmface

Of course, I love the Monkey Island 2 ending. I’ve always loved it, no matter the general opinion. I think it’s genius.

Also Loom. Lucasarts was so much better at endings than Sierra…

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-12-31

PM

A Mind Forever Voyaging: Perhaps the best ending of a text adventure and surely among the best ever.

I thought Infidel from Infocom was good in its time, & quite unusual.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

Agustín Cordes - 20 January 2013 03:14 PM

Mission Critical

One of the very, very few endings so wonderful that elevated a game from being “good” to “masterful”. Rivals the best sci-fi stories from the best writers. Technically it’s two endings, but both of them are equally thought-provoking.

Well, from what I remember, I didn’t like ending of Mission Critical (too supernatural). In fact, it was for me big disappointment as The Dig or Fahrenheit endings. And it for me actually turned the game from “masterful” to “very good” (still its my TOP10 adventure).

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Oscar - 20 January 2013 09:53 AM

Hmph, then I must have not paid enough attention. Then again maybe I missed all that stuff, since the game wanted me to be omniscient enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Their hands touching just before the train arrives in Vienna. The ending of the dangerous scene with Vesna in the baggage car. You must have seen it, or you wouldn’t have made it past Vienna.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There are many I liked, but the one that made me laugh the most and also got me thinking was the ending to The Feeble Files.  It reminded me of the movie/book Being There where the idiot ended up running the world.

I also liked the endings to Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, where what you did or didn’t do changed the course of history.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Interplay - 19 January 2013 11:21 PM

I thought it would be fun for people to share their favorite adventure game endings.  Maybe it’ll stir up some familiar and pleasant memories.  Please, spoiler tags as needed.  I think my favorite would have to be Syberia.

Kate Walker’s last second decision and desperate run for that train.  The feeling of closure but also the unknown.

Good stuff.

Yup first thing that came to my mind on reading thread title, that run gave me goose bumps.

Besides that, Dreamfall had very well placed cliffhanger, Reza ...Smile

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Drolin - 21 January 2013 04:10 AM
Agustín Cordes - 20 January 2013 03:14 PM

Mission Critical

Well, from what I remember, I didn’t like ending of Mission Critical (too supernatural). In fact, it was for me big disappointment as The Dig or Fahrenheit endings. And it for me actually turned the game from “masterful” to “very good” (still its my TOP10 adventure).

Nothing supernatural at all but rather an extremely interesting take on the future of humanity. Very philosophical, unlike most games at the time.

And I agree that the ending of The Dig was lackluster. The complete opposite: turned an IMO great game into fairly run-of-the-mill. As for Farenheit, couldn’t tell… I didn’t feel like mashing so many buttons to reach the finale.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

I would say Sam and Max Hit the Road.
Nice avatar by the way, one of my all time favourite albums Smile

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Some good mentions here. I can’t really think of any other good ones buy my favorites which have already been mentioned…

Gemini Rue
Whispered World
Edna & Harvey
Gabriel Knight 3

Think Syberia is the winner for me though. It almost made me cry Tongue

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

The funny thing for me is that I often don’t remember the endings to a lot of games/books/movies. I think the reason for this is that to me, the journey is apparently more important than the conclusion. When I think of a game, I usually can remember a lot of details about the story, puzzles, characters, etc. but I find myself stuck trying to remember how it ended.

On that note, reading some of these reminded me of some that I loved. For sure Syberia is up there as well as The Longest Journey.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The more I think of it, the more I’m surprised at my inability to remember an adventure game ending. The first I could think of was the one from Monkey Island 2, which I really liked. I guess the ending of Heavy Rain made an impression, I expected a plot twist, but I didn’t expect it to twist the way it did. The same goes for Resonance, I guess.

I never got into the syberia games, I tried the first, but it didn’t immediately appeal to me. Reading some of your experiences with its story and ending have made me consider giving them another shot.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

I think the MI2 ending was absolutely brilliant. This child’s pretend play makes Guybrush’s character so much more convincing and the lack of same hurts the latter installments.

I know that the hardcore escapists will not accept that as a fact… Although they of all people should accept this “reality” most freely.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

ADan - 25 January 2013 07:14 PM

I know that the hardcore escapists will not accept that as a fact… Although they of all people should accept this “reality” most freely.

Spoilers to MI 2 ahead - I’m not sure if it’s a known fact or not, but I think we can assume Gilbert had the ending to MI2 in his mind already during the production of TSoMI. Even if not, that’s how he saw it, and no one has the right to question whether that’s the right way to finish the game. But one can dislike it, nothing wrong with that. There’s another problem with “It was all a dream” endings - NO ONE wants to hear what Alice did in the real world after she woke up next to her sister. Smile It’s Wonderland, Oz, Monkey Island... which we’re connected to.

Then, the MI series is a special and more complex case where you have the third installment done with different authors, who had a tough task but, IMO, did a good job in continuing the story the way they thought it should be done.

Spoilers to The Whispered World ahead!

Actually, it’s a similar case, and one can wonder how Hullen and Daedalic would continue from here. I’m surprised to see many of you liked the ending - not that I didn’t like it (and I’ve found it quite emotional), but I think some of the non-linear and multiple ending opportunities were also quite as interesting to implement here, although I’m not really sure how.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Don’t forget the extra scene at the end of MI2, where Elaine asks, “I wonder where Guybrush is? I hope LeChuck hasn’t put a SPELL on him or anything.” or something similar to that.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top