• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #82: The Dream Machine

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Welcome to the playthrough, Bon!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now finished Chapter 2.

On entering Morton’s flat I found the slightly off-key mournful jazz track very much evoking an unsettling vibe.

In the back room I played around with the books but gave up trying to read them after a while. (I later caught a comment from Neff that they were oddly repetitive.) I hadn’t thought then to try combining objects in inventory otherwise I wouldn’t have peeked at a walkthrough!

On progressing it seemed quite straightforward to use the helmets leading to enlightenment of the weird & wacky concept of the story & why there was a camera in Neff’s bedroom

In Morton’s dreamworld I found the puzzles more straightforward than I expected e.g. I thought I would have to play notes in a sequence on fixing & replacing grandfather’s strum rod.
The items I had to place in the father’s ear didn’t immediately make sense until I suddenly thought about the anatomy of an ear!

I’m not a fan of achieving anything in games by trial & error so wasn’t impressed, even though it was relatively easy, by having to try different routes to leave Morton’s dream.

It was a nice touch within that dream I thought to include the red palm print on the rock although it was pretty obvious anyway what you needed to do to access the surveillance room.
I was initially thrown by the clue on the crumpled paper for opening the safe because of the inscription next to the secret door with similar symbols.
Also, as with the first time I played the game, I failed to notice the dark corners on the surveillance cameras.
N.B., I ordered all of the cameras from 1 – 9 before working out the safe code. Does it matter? Or do the same dark corners turn up on the same number footage wherever it’s positioned?

Overall, I found the progression of the story as well as the puzzle well thought out & interesting.

@Bon, hi & it’s great that you’ve joined us for this playthrough. 

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Regarding your last question, Chrissie, I think the safe puzzle code is randomized each time you play.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve worded my question wrongly I think Lady Kestrel but thank you!
When you first look at the surveillance screens they are not numbered in order on the larger grid & don’t, as far as I remember, show all the locations until you click on each of them to scroll through. What I am asking is, do the dark corners correspond to a specific number i.e. location (so it wouldn’t matter where it’s positioned on the large grid) or do they correspond to a specific position where it’s necessary to put the numbers in order on the large grid as I did? I hope that make some sense???

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m in the first chapter… already stuck trying to open the loose floorboard.

I wish there was voice acting included, though the lack of voice does add to a creepy atmosphere. Also, I’m not a fan of the character not repeating the sentence I chose in a dialogue - I don’t remember seeing that anywhere else. Finally, I wish it was a two-mouse button game, and that you could rotate pieces of paper faster.

But of course, these are all minor issues. I enjoy the game, I think it has clever writing, serious but humorous as well, and a spooky atmosphere, like from a Hitchcock movie.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 March 2024 03:57 PM

I have a question for discussion.  Where in this first chapter did you realize that the game might have a darker side to it?

The moment I saw the character models - not to mention Victor up close in the mirror!  Gasp

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 30 March 2024 02:06 PM

I’m in the first chapter… already stuck trying to open the loose floorboard.

I wish there was voice acting included, though the lack of voice does add to a creepy atmosphere. Also, I’m not a fan of the character not repeating the sentence I chose in a dialogue - I don’t remember seeing that anywhere else. Finally, I wish it was a two-mouse button game, and that you could rotate pieces of paper faster.

But of course, these are all minor issues. I enjoy the game, I think it has clever writing, serious but humorous as well, and a spooky atmosphere, like from a Hitchcock movie.

Hi diego, what I’ve found is that you often have to just move on in this game when there’s not an immediate solution….

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I moved further (I missed to inspect the letter for an address) but now I’m stuck with the meter puzzle.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

If by that you mean the circuit board you can get a clue by clicking on the few things you can especially the resistors .

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I finished first chapter and played most of the second. I like the puzzles so far a lot. Music is great and i like the serious tone of the game. My only problem is i have some lag when moving items or pressing space to indicate reactive spots.

About the circuit puzzle i tried some stuff without success but then i talked to alicia, who told me to avoid the resistors. After that i solved the puzzle. So there is definitely a clue about that puzzle.

Update: Finished second chapter also.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Way too much RL stuff going on! Will try to get through the end of the chapter tonight.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1267

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sorry, I haven’t been able to keep playing. I will play Chapter 2 tonight and catch up with the CPT!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

After about two hours, I think I’m close to the end of chapter 2. I think Morton is dead. Both in reality and in the dream world. I’m back in the Machine/Monitor room. Have to take Sue to the doctor tomorrow morning. But I should get some time to finish the chapter before Laky K gives us the go ahead for Chapter 3. Good, because RL has me booked for most pf the following two days.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m aboard the ship. So it’s on the Chapter Three whenever we get the go ahead.

There were some puzzles that I didn’t understand. One of the statue puzzles confused me. If I didn’t remember my high school AP Biology class the is no way I would have deduced putting the stirrup/anvil/hammer in the statue’s ear. Also the monitor puzzle. I found the scrap of paper, but it shows six screens while the display is nine screens. Fortunately I guessed correctly the first time. However, I didn’t know the numbers were the code to the safe until I tried it. There was to clue pointing me in that direction that I know of.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Many of Victor’s questions have been answered in chapter 2, thanks to some helpful statuary and the elusive Mr. Morten.  I remember thinking “Uh-oh!” when I the door slammed shut behind me here:

However, I really enjoyed roaming through the dreamscape and talking with the Morton elders.  I also had a good laugh when the oldest one made a comment about Victor’s hairstyle.  I think we can all agree on that. 

At first, the safe puzzle had me thinking that I could just number the windows left to right from 1-9, but I soon realized that scrolling through the screen images made the numbers appear.

Chapter 3 begins with this quote:

“A boat, beneath a sunny sky,
Lingering onward dreamily
In an evening of July-
Ever drifting down the stream-
Lingering in the golden gleam-
Life, what is it but a dream?”

-Lewis Carroll

This one is a bit more complex and quite a bit stranger than the previous chapter.  As I’ve said before, the dialogue is important.  Let’s see how we do with another week, which will take us to Wed., April 10.  Stop when you reach chapter 4.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top