• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I finished the CE version of Myths of the World: Of Fiends and Fairies, the SE version of which was described earlier on this thread by Tim. I agree that the voiceovers are excellent. I especially enjoyed the comments by the geeky professor and the grouchy leprechaun.

The bonus game in the CE version continues the story for one of the minor characters. Oddly, though this character is a male, the hand cursor from the main game where you play as a female—with painted fingernails and a bracelet—hasn’t been changed for the bonus chapter. There’s a cinematic where you see the hands of the man you’re playing during the bonus, and he doesn’t paint his nails. So I assume this is a detail that was simply overlooked.

The bonus game is of the same general high quality as the SE portion, but adds only a little to the overall story, probably not enough to warrant the CE purchase if the bonus story is why you buy CEs. The Extras section does allow you to replay all the cinematics in the game—this is a feature I love because I can review the story and see bits I might have missed if the cinematic goes by quickly or if my phone rings just as the cinematic starts, etc.

For this game, though, I’d recommend the SE rather than the CE.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well you always said that backstory would seal the deal for a CE purchase. Apparently there wasn’t enough backstory. For basic story, graphics, music, sound, voice, etc. This still ranks very high on my game of the year list. That’s inaccurate. It’s still my casual game of the year. I’m also still surprised it didn’t get much support in the playthrough thread. Maybe it wasn’t “moody” enough.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Sorry, I didn’t get a chance to participate in the last playthrough.
I have been playing Ether One and needed a break, so I picked up Evil Pumpkin Lost Halloween from BigFish. Great game, lots of headscratchers. I’m playing it without the HOGS. It has been a while since I had to use some hints and a WT for a casual game.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

That’s good to know about Evil Pumpkin. I wonder why more games won’t allow you to skip the HOs.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I downloaded and played the demo of this game as I reported earlier in this thread. I don’t remember any HO scenes, or the ability to turn them on/off. Regardless, I really didn’t like this game. I think I played 30 minutes of the demo before pulling the plug.

The only reason I tried it was because we were doing Phantasmat as the CGPT and I thought it would be a nice Halloween add-on. Didn’t work for me at all.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

rtrooney - 17 November 2014 10:12 PM

I downloaded and played the demo of this game as I reported earlier in this thread. I don’t remember any HO scenes, or the ability to turn them on/off. Regardless, I really didn’t like this game. I think I played 30 minutes of the demo before pulling the plug.

The only reason I tried it was because we were doing Phantasmat as the CGPT and I thought it would be a nice Halloween add-on. Didn’t work for me at all.

I stand corrected. There are some HOGS, but they are few and far between. Most items you get by using inventory.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just finished the new Mystery Case Files game, Dire Grove, Sacred Grove, and I’m going to recommend it for a playthrough.  It has some HOPs, but there’s a lot of variety in the kind presented.  It’s a long game with a good story, and the bonus material in the CE version is really worth playing.  It adds another couple of hours to the playtime and doesn’t spoil the main story at all.  Keep your eyes open for a sale or save your credits.  The only disadvantage of the game is you’ll need your long johns while playing it in the winter.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played the demo, and I agree—it looks good. It’s fun to revisit the Dire Grove locations and see how they’ve changed. I added it to my holdings.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This sounds like a replay of Enigmatis. I’ve not played the new Dire Grove game. But I know the first game was never nominated. Unless the new game is far superior to the first I would have a hard time voting for it.

If you want to package the two in the same way we did the Enigmatis games, and are willing to lead one of the two, I’d say go for it the next time the CCP nomination thread comes up. If push comes to shove, I’ll lead the first one if you lead the second.

Edit: Sent to Lady K to avoid confusion

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I was hoping that after playing the two Enigmatis games, and everyone getting a sense of what that’s like, that we’d have a discussion (maybe on the casual community voting thread) as to whether, going forward, it makes sense to play the first game in a series even if it’s chock full of Hidden Object screens, or whether it makes more sense to go straight to the newest game in a series and let individuals play the previous games on their own if they so choose.

Does that make sense?

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, I was thinking that myself, Becky.  The first Dire Grove has a very good story but is loaded with hidden object scenes, and the new one has very few.  Since there are connections between them, I’d be willing to donate some of my accumulated free game codes for those participants who want to play the SE of the first game on their own for comparison’s sake.  I would also be willing to lead one or both of the games based on the voting decision.  I do have a vacation scheduled in January, however, so another game or two in the interum would probably be best.  This is all just food for thought, of course, and no decision needs to be made now.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There aren’t many games that only have two games in their “franchise.”

Personally I think that two games is the limit for what we’re currently doing in the Casual Playthrough. I would not play all the Ravenhurst games back-to-back. Nor the Puppetshow games.

Two is an interesting number. Either a game is so bad that there is never a sequel, or it sells so well that five or more games in the franchise is not unheard of. So two is very unusual.

The first Dire Grove did have a lot of HO scenes. But I think playing the first Enigmatis game educated the non-casual players that this is what happened back in the day. And the second game was a significant improvement. So I don’t have a problem with playing them both in sequence.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 01 December 2014 11:56 AM

Personally I think that two games is the limit for what we’re currently doing in the Casual Playthrough.

I agree with this.

Playing two games back-to-back is not such a bad thing, because you get to experience the continuity and it can be very interesting to see how the games (and even the genre as a whole) has evolved inbetween both games. If there are other quality series with just two titles in them, then I approve of the Enigmatis CPT method… Thumbs Up

More than two games of the same series back-to-back on the other hand is too much. Spending too long within the same series will probably feel repetitive and will wear some of us down.

Variety is a good thing!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Just finished Dark Realm Queen of Flames SE. It was a long game. Everytime I thought it was over, a new section opened up. HOGs were varied - silhouettes, lists, moving items. Puzzles were good in general, though there were some actiony ones that relied on accuracy. Though I rarely find these games intentionally scary, the appearance of the dragon caught me unawares a few times, enough to make me jump.
The casual I played before this was Warlock Curse of Shaman. I thought the puzzles were good. The game seems quite short in retrospect, especially after tackling Queen of Flames.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-10-18

PM

Hi guys,
I need you all for a recommendation. I love the mystery and detective games. The good ones, not trash. I love: the Shiver saga, Fright and Angelica Weaver. I hate fairies, princesses…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top