• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Iznogood - 11 March 2015 06:53 AM
aaroncarney - 10 March 2015 08:25 PM

More and more companies are going down this route and it’s disappointing Frown These games are just better to appreciate as a whole.

I don’t as such disagree, but there is always the option to wait until the full game is released. Just because it is released in episodes, then it doesn’t mean that you have to play it as such.

Yeah I know, I could do but the temptation is just too great.  Tongue I’m too impatient to wait when the game is there to play. I’m sure that’s the case with most people as well. You certainly have good willpower if you manage to wait until ALL episodes are out!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

aaroncarney - 11 March 2015 09:27 AM
Iznogood - 11 March 2015 06:53 AM

I don’t as such disagree, but there is always the option to wait until the full game is released. Just because it is released in episodes, then it doesn’t mean that you have to play it as such.

Yeah I know, I could do but the temptation is just too great.  Tongue I’m too impatient to wait when the game is there to play. I’m sure that’s the case with most people as well. You certainly have good willpower if you manage to wait until ALL episodes are out!

Me too. I wanted to wait for the season but as soon as the first episode was out I was there playing it Neutral, but it does seem like it’s going to be a game that does not benefit from episodic content, a episode every 3/4 months is too disperse but I think the next ones will be faster.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

aaroncarney - 11 March 2015 09:27 AM

Well personally I have a backbone made of boiled spaghetti, and have been much too exited about finally getting the second half of Dreamfall to even consider waiting, but I know that others with more willpower than me are patiently waiting for the full release before playing it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 11 March 2015 10:41 AM

but I know that others with more willpower than me are patiently waiting for the full release before playing it.

In my case, a severe lack of time is serving as a more than adequate substitute for willpower… Grin

By the time I actually get around to playing it, it’s not only completed but has received all the necessary patches to run bug free (and it’s practically approaching the point where I’ll need ScummVM or DosBox or a Virtual Machine to run it Tongue).

OK, that last bit may have been hyperbole. Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

The problem is not waiting a bit longer so you don’t get a game with some bugs. The problem is that they say that “at that time, on that day, we will release a new chapter”. Weren’t they capable of doing ALL the test weeks or days before? Do they need to let the last minute strikes the clock to see that some problems still exists in the game? That, for me, is bad management. Pure and simple. And by the way, they say it’s going to be 5 chapters. If it’s going to be like this (4-5 months between chapters), the whole game will be finished in 2016/17, not as they say “in the end of 2015”.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

UruBoo - 11 March 2015 09:05 PM

If it’s going to be like this (4-5 months between chapters), the whole game will be finished in 2016/17, not as they say “in the end of 2015”.

In one of the last updates they said next releases will be faster:

We do anticipate a more rapid development process for Book Three, however, which is already well into production. Books Four and Five will arrive later this year, concluding the story of Zoë Castillo, the Dreamer.

But this episodic stuff never seems to go has planned so I can think a slip might happen.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Hmmm yes. To deliver all episodes by the end of the year RTG would have to release an episode every 3 months (at the latest) starting now. Somehow I don’t think they can manage it, maybe with 1 or 2 of the episodes but I doubt they can manage 2/3 months with all three of them. Realistically we’re looking at a few months into 2016. (TEN years after Dreamfall btw)

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Delaying a game on release day is bad form. No one is sweating a 48 hour delay, but to not find that out until the morning of seems like the kind of thing that can be avoided.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 11 March 2015 04:12 PM

By the time I actually get around to playing it, it’s not only completed but has received all the necessary patches to run bug free (and it’s practically approaching the point where I’ll need ScummVM or DosBox or a Virtual Machine to run it Tongue).

OK, that last bit may have been hyperbole. Crazy

ScummVM etc. is an exaggeration, but it will most likely have been updated from Unity4 to Unity5 before you play it - which is a good thing.

wilco - 11 March 2015 09:25 PM

In one of the last updates they said next releases will be faster:

aaroncarney - 11 March 2015 09:38 PM

Hmmm yes. To deliver all episodes by the end of the year RTG would have to release an episode every 3 months (at the latest) starting now. Somehow I don’t think they can manage it, maybe with 1 or 2 of the episodes but I doubt they can manage 2/3 months with all three of them. Realistically we’re looking at a few months into 2016. (TEN years after Dreamfall btw)

After the release of Book-1 they had to do a whole lot of optimisations, which cost them at least an extra month. But these are now done and will also benefit the rest of the books, so there is no reason NOT to expect that the rest of the books should be on schedule.

The big question is of course when they will do the conversions to Unity5, and how much time that will cost them. If they decide to do it before the full game is finished, then it will probably push the final game a month or three.

Weren’t they capable of doing ALL the test weeks or days before? Do they need to let the last minute strikes the clock to see that some problems still exists in the game?

Oh trust me, they have been testing the game for days or weeks before the release date, but sometimes when you fix a bug, you inadvertently create three new bugs. According to what they have been saying, then they actually had a build ready to upload, but the last bug fixes where added so late, that they wanted to give themselves an extra 48 hours to test them.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think the speed of the final books will depend quite a bit from how much they can recycle the areas they’ve created for these first two books. I assume we’ll see Mercuria next which will be a big place, so that will also help to reduce the need to fill each book with 100% unique settings.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Scheduled for download at 18:46 - less than an hour from now.

Actually I just had to press a button to start the download now, so it is here now!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 12 March 2015 12:54 PM

Scheduled for download at 18:46 - less than an hour from now.

Actually I just had to press a button to start the download now, so it is here now!

yipeeeeee

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Blimey… Downloading.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

If it’s going to be like this (4-5 months between chapters), the whole game will be finished in 2016/17, not as they say “in the end of 2015”.

There’s pessimism and there’s mathematical idiocy. The whole game not finished till 2016? Yep, entirely plausible. But do please help me as to how, if there’s 4-5 months between chapters, how on earth you think it might be finished in 2017?!? 4+4+4 = 12 = final part Mar 2016. 5+5+5 = 15 = final part June 2016. Where do you get 2017 from???

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes!! Downloading! 3Gb? at least stem download speeds are good for now

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top