• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

To all British Agers. We are going to be visiting the beautiful city of London this September and I am wondering if anyone who lives there/has been there can give me some suggestions on good restaurants, fun places to go and see, things to do etc…

Much appreciated Smile

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I was also planning to visit London in September. Maybe we can meet SoccerDude28 Smile

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hey Soccerdude.

Depends what you’re looking for and how long you’re here!

There are lots of good museums, most of which are free to enter. The best are probably the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, and the British Museum. The V&A and the Imperial War museum are also both great. If you have kids then the Science Museum and Natural History are sure fire, but they’re both good for adults too! Have a look here for further details.

Lots of other places worth visiting including the Tower of London (esp. if you’ve played the relevant Sherlock Holmes game!), the London Dungeons (a personal favourite!) Madam Tussauds, the London Eye (the huge ferris wheel thing) and then Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus…

The Olympic Park is well worth a visit (where the Olympics were held in 2012) and doesn’t take long to get to although it is on the outskirts of London over on the east side. Other than that, there are bucket loads of theatres, restaurants, pubs, bars etc. It really depends where abouts you’re staying.

I’d be happy to recommend more stuff if you can say what sort of stuff you’re looking for! Smile

Also, if either you or TSA feel like ruining part of your personal holiday time in London by meeting a weirdo from the internet then I would be up for it! Smile

Impromptu forum meet up anyone?!?!?!?! Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Aww man! I want to go back to England and have an impromptu meetup! I can’t wait for the day I get a full time job and can start saving for England again. <3

Soccerdude and tsa-Have fun!

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Oh that would be cool.I don’t know what the best time is for me to go to London yet but we can at least try to meet!

I want to go to London specifically to see the Natural History museum. Not only is the building itself a Victorian masterpiece, its insides are also very much worth looking at, IMO. I hope the new director idiot comes back on his plan to remove the tourist magnets (the ginormous dinosaur skeletons) from that great hall! That’s one of the reasons I want to go there.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

tsa - 09 June 2015 03:10 AM

I was also planning to visit London in September. Maybe we can meet SoccerDude28 Smile

Sounds good to me Smile I will be with my wife and we are going to be in London from October 3rd to October 9th (Sorry I was thinking end of September but my wife booked it for early October). If you will be there any of these days, we can definitely meet up.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Intense Degree - 09 June 2015 06:40 AM

Hey Soccerdude.

Depends what you’re looking for and how long you’re here!

There are lots of good museums, most of which are free to enter. The best are probably the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, and the British Museum. The V&A and the Imperial War museum are also both great. If you have kids then the Science Museum and Natural History are sure fire, but they’re both good for adults too! Have a look here for further details.

Lots of other places worth visiting including the Tower of London (esp. if you’ve played the relevant Sherlock Holmes game!), the London Dungeons (a personal favourite!) Madam Tussauds, the London Eye (the huge ferris wheel thing) and then Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus…

The Olympic Park is well worth a visit (where the Olympics were held in 2012) and doesn’t take long to get to although it is on the outskirts of London over on the east side. Other than that, there are bucket loads of theatres, restaurants, pubs, bars etc. It really depends where abouts you’re staying.

I’d be happy to recommend more stuff if you can say what sort of stuff you’re looking for! Smile

Also, if either you or TSA feel like ruining part of your personal holiday time in London by meeting a weirdo from the internet then I would be up for it! Smile

Impromptu forum meet up anyone?!?!?!?! Wink

Thanks a lot for all this stuff, it’s very helpful. We will try to visit most of it if we have time. We have a week to stay in London (and we plan to visit Stonehenge one of the days).

We are mainly looking to do touristy stuff like museums, castles, squares, etc…
We are staying in Kensington, so do you know any good restaurants in the area?

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

When I was in London a year ago… Well, I didn’t really even visit that many museums Grin It was just great to walk around the city. I did go to the British Museum and Tate Modern (and then ran around Tate Britain at about 15 mins before closing time Tongue).

But I think London has a lot to see in just walking around the city, too. Of course, we were there for only three nights. We were at Queens Gate (which is in Kensington, too, I believe) and it’s a pretty good place to have the hotel. The Natural History Museum is at least right there (and is the Science Museum right next to it?).

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

SoccerDude28 - 10 June 2015 01:46 AM

(and we plan to visit Stonehenge one of the days).

Just in case you’re unaware: You HAVE to book in advance for Stonehenge (can be done online) and you get a timed slot to enter the grounds. I’d hate you to go all that way and not be able to get in.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Nice plan to do a meeting with the three of us. I will check out hotels and trains next Friday.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

As Up says, Kensington is a great location as you have Natural History, Science Museum and the V&A all on your doorstep and pretty much next door to each other, just down the road from the Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park.

Kensington is cool, but it can be seriously expensive to eat round there - even by London standards. If you head into the West End (which is east of Kensington!) mainly around the Leicester Square/Covent Garden/Theatreland area there are thousands of restaurants (well… hundreds definitely) which cater to a very wide range of tastes and budgets.

If you’re here for a week or so, then maybe also consider Camden Market, St Pauls Cathedral, HMS Belfast, London Zoo, The Sherlock Holmes Museum, or even a day out to Windsor with the Castle etc.

Also - re Stonehenge, it’s not the easiest to get to unless you’re driving. The nearest rail station is Salisbury I think which is about 10 miles away. There is a bus service from there but I’ve no idea how regular it is.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Regarding Stonehenge, there are tour busses that go there, and they often pick people up at their hotels.  Since I usually go to London in January, I’ve never taken the trip myself, but if you’re staying at a hotel, your concierge should have that information.

The Natural History Museum has a photo contest every year.  If it’s still on display when you go, it’s really worth checking out.  Also, their geology section is amazing.  They have rocks from all over the world, including some from here in New Jersey.

If you go to Covent Garden, which is great fun for all the shopping stalls, restaurants, and street performances, you also might want to stop in the London Transport Museum.  It shows how the subways were built.  I still have my Mind the Gap t-shirt from there. Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Intense Degree - 11 June 2015 05:34 AM

Kensington is cool, but it can be seriously expensive to eat round there - even by London standards. If you head into the West End (which is east of Kensington!) mainly around the Leicester Square/Covent Garden/Theatreland area there are thousands of restaurants (well… hundreds definitely) which cater to a very wide range of tastes and budgets.

I guess places like Soho (and its surroundings) are good for eating? At least, there seemed to be lots of pretty good-looking restaurants over there. As I recall not super expensive, either…

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Soho for sure - which is part of the West End and just next to the Covent Garden/Leicester Square area.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Visit the Tower of London and when the holiday is over play the adventure Traitors Gate together. Cool!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top