• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Crappy Games You Enjoy Anyway

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished Rockin Dead. The game had a crappy ending that matched all the rest of its crappiness.

But I still loved playing it. Some puzzles were good, the graphics were stunning and it was completely bug free. I’ll actually play it again sometime. Yes, it’s so bad it’s good.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Phantasmagoria was a bad game, a stupid game, and—with the exception of the last chapter—an enjoyable game.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2111

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I replayed Martian Memorandum (Tex Murphy 2) recently, and my, what a crappy game it is Smile But I used to like it a lot and even now got plenty of laughs and fond memories from it - I especially enjoyed listening to poorly recorded dialogues read by overacting actors, 100% B-movie gold. But the game itself shows its age: you have to restart same dialogues again and again just to figure out the right sequences of lines, there is pixel-hunting in it’s purest form behind every corner (you are basically hunting for items of pixel size), and you don’t even realise there is something to search for in most cases, there are silly (and gory!) deaths, there are navigating “mini-games” where you have to move Tex pixel by pixel to avoid even more deaths, the interface is cumbersome and so on. And yet the experience is so wild and distinctive that I easily recollected puzzles and dialogue lines along the way despite playing MM many years ago. There is something in those early Access games that makes you feel like you are truly stuck in an old cheap “so bad it’s so good” movie.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Oh yes Doom - Amazon: Guardians of Eden would be my entry (Access?) in this thread. I was shocked to discover so many regarded it as a crappy game, for me it was just pure B-movie gold. I loved all the deaths, the “act quick or you’re dead” action, the terrible acting! Also loved Countdown, although I confess to abusing the save/restore in that game.

Total Posts: 2111

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Haha yes, with Amazon they went even further Grin Those “Don’t miss the next chapter!” cards with hilariously bad titles, the incompetent Indiana Jones-wanna-be who solves all problems by sabotage or pure luck, the neverending boating, “sudden” plot turns and every adventure movie cliche thrown in without any hesitation… Great times.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I suppose I can add Runaway 2 here. I love the whole trilogy, second game so dislike by many included. There maybe some nostalgia bias. Definitely not the pinnacle of adventure gaming, questionable main characters and plenty of game mechanics flaws, but I really enjoyed it anyway!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

DCast - 24 October 2021 10:06 AM

I suppose I can add Runaway 2 here. I love the whole trilogy, second game so dislike by many included. There maybe some nostalgia bias. Definitely not the pinnacle of adventure gaming, questionable main characters and plenty of game mechanics flaws, but I really enjoyed it anyway!

I actually liked that one as well…..got two copies, one on the PC and one on the DS.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

I wouldn’t quite call them crappy, but they weren’t too well received as far as I’m aware:

Culpa Innata. Lots of interesting ideas and plays a bit differently. Clunky technology is its main issue, I’d say. And of course it’s basically forever unfinished as it’ll never get a sequel Wink It’s certainly not for everyone but if you get a bit tired of similar adventure games again and again it’s offering some interesting stuff.

Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle. Again, “crappy” I’d say is taking it too far, but it has some issues, some rather bizarre (like lines being re-recorded by different voice actors but some of the old ones still around ...), some puzzles that are rather meh, the minigames are pretty pointless, even some bugs unfortunately, etc. But I do quite like the heroine and her crew and the general tone of the game and would’ve loved a sequel to see where their adventure goes next.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Pyoro-2 - 26 October 2021 01:56 PM

Culpa Innata…..  Clunky technology is its main issue, I’d say.

Clunky? In what way as the interface is point & click.

Pyoro-2 - 26 October 2021 01:56 PM

And of course it’s basically forever unfinished as it’ll never get a sequel Wink

Very true & doubly let down by the promise of a book to follow in lieu of a second game that sadly never materialised either.

It’s certainly not for everyone but if you get a bit tired of similar adventure games again and again it’s offering some interesting stuff.

Yes! Thumbs Up Hopefully we might get to do a CPT in the future. 

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Well, movement/navigation (camera often switches perspective, making navigation much harder than it should be), the way interactions worked (often imprecise and with no cursor indications), everything is kinda slow, and so on. It’s not as “smooth” as p&cs; can be, there’s no typical comfort features (pixel hunting galore, yay?) and the 3D graphics were dated even by the day of its release (not that anyone can expect AAA production values with such a project, but still).

I feel that a modern remake of this in an Unreal Engine of someone’s choice could be quite successful, but there’s stuff to be ironed out Wink

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I see what you’re saying about the switching of camera angles. Personally I can’t see any point on remaking the game until the story gets finished but there’s enough there for the original to be interesting.  Smile

Yes, there is indeed an investigation that concludes that could be revamped but there is more. Reminds me of Dreamfall (The Longest Journey) a story that concludes within a larger story except that in this case it’s possible to miss the indications of something larger..

I would recommend reading the book.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top