• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Terabin - 20 September 2022 01:43 PM

Again, go ahead and feel irked buddy. You’re devoting a whole lot of time to criticizing my little positive post, which I threw down alongside the equally valid lukewarm/critical posts. Moving on…

Okay, just not sure why you felt the need to counter critical views from people who’ve played the game, before you’ve even played it yourself but it doesn’t really matter.  Perfectly happy to move on.  I look forward to hearing your opinions on the game once you’ve actually played it.  I genuinely hope that you enjoy it.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Still onboard LeChuck’s ship; did the game seriously just cutaway to Guybrush Jr. so that it could explain to the player what the word “unanimous” means and to unequivocally have Guybrush state “my objective was now to convince the crew that they should sail to Monkey Island”, even though it was already obvious that’s what I needed to do?!  Those two explanations to the player were literally the only reason for that cutaway to exist.

Man, they’ve really dumbed this sequel down, haven’t they?  The sad part is that I was perfectly fine playing the first two games as a kid.  I’m now 40 years old and this game is talking down to me in a way that those original games never did.  Imagine if in Monkey Island 2, the game kept cutting back to Elaine and Gubrush dangling from their ropes above Big Whoop and having them spell out the player objectives and what certain words in the English language mean…

At times, this feels like Monkey Island: Sesame Street Edition.  It’s so frustrating.  I want to love this game.  I want to love it sooooo much but the game’s not making it easy for me to do so.

Total Posts: 6598

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I thought the game is going to be dumbed-down to the core, but it isn’t - isn’t at all. Of course, you need to turn on the hard difficulty, and not to bring hint system at all - and soon you’ll find yourself in that old, familiar feeling or getting stuck simply because you’re not at one or two locations, with 1 item at your disposal. So, that’s a good thing.

But I don’t like the “reinvent” system where hovering mouse over a hotspot give you specific verb, like “comment”, “criticize” etc. instead of just name of the hotspot. I admit it’s highly original, but I still don’t like it because it’s confusing and “spoilerish” a little.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

St_Eddie - 20 September 2022 03:45 PM

Still onboard LeChuck’s ship; did the game seriously just cutaway to Guybrush Jr. so that it could explain to the player what the word “unanimous” means and to unequivocally have Guybrush state “my objective was now to convince the crew that they should sail to Monkey Island”, even though it was already obvious that’s what I needed to do?!  Those two explanations to the player were literally the only reason for that cutaway to exist.

Man, they’ve really dumbed this sequel down, haven’t they?  The sad part is that I was perfectly fine playing the first two games as a kid.  I’m now 40 years old and this game is talking down to me in a way that those original games never did.  Imagine if in Monkey Island 2, the game kept cutting back to Elaine and Gubrush dangling from their ropes above Big Whoop and having them spell out the player objectives and what certain words in the English language mean…

At times, this feels like Monkey Island: Sesame Street Edition.  It’s so frustrating.  I want to love this game.  I want to love it sooooo much but the game’s not making it easy for me to do so.

Sounds like we are roughly round the same part in the game.

Sorry to hear your not enjoying it much.

I’m honestly loving every second.The puzzles for me strike the right balance of stumping me just enough. But I know alot of people prefer harder puzzles. I’m the guy who felt the puzzles were just right in Broken Age Act 1 and hated the puzzles in Act 2.

Quick question? Are there missable puzzles? I never got a certain toothbrush in part 1 and wondered if i missed my chance?

One tiny nitpick, i wish there was an option for a classic text font in the game. Surprised this wasn’t included in the options.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Toymafia1988 - 20 September 2022 04:10 PM

Actually, I am kinda enjoying it.  It just doesn’t feel like a Monkey Island game to me; it’s more like a less challenging version of A Vampyre Story, with the aesthetics of Costume Quest. Thankfully, I went into this game fully expecting it to be a disappointment, so I’m not overly devastated by a 30 year long fantasy being a let down.  I learned the hard way not to allow expectations and hype to get the better of me with both The Phantom Menace and Prometheus.  My philosophy for decades long anticipated sequels these days is ‘expect the worst, hope for the best’.  I don’t ever want to go through the sheer heartbreak of Prometheus ever again.

Quick question? Are there missable puzzles? I never got a certain toothbrush in part 1 and wondered if i missed my chance?

I think that’s just a red herring, as when you return to Stan after visting his shipyard, Guybrush tells him that his office was locked and as such he was unable to acquire Stan’s toothbrush and Stan tells him not to worry about it.  It’s weird and just makes visiting Stan’s shipyard all the more pointless (literally the only function that location served was to acquire a sponge, which could have been placed in literally any other location by the developers) and all the more a blatant excuse for further member berries.

One tiny nitpick, i wish there was an option for a classic text font in the game. Surprised this wasn’t included in the options.

Oh gawd, yes!  I hate the text in this game.  I have it set to ‘small’ and it’s still distractingly large and the font resembles comics sans.  I really wish there was an option for classic text, like there was in Thimbleweed Park.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2003-09-15

PM

St_Eddie, I don’t think I’ve seen a post of yours in this thread that hasn’t been insufferable.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Owskie - 20 September 2022 05:31 PM

St_Eddie, I don’t think I’ve seen a post of yours in this thread that hasn’t been insufferable.

What’s wrong with my previous post?

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2003-09-15

PM

St_Eddie - 20 September 2022 05:32 PM
Owskie - 20 September 2022 05:31 PM

What’s wrong with my previous post?

While your last post was arguably the least negative of the bunch (which is why I assume you qualified it with “my previous post”) you’ve been obnoxiously negative pretty consistently. You quickly crossed the line between constructive criticism into whining. The things you’re bitching about, I absolutely love and it doesn’t make it bad. I’m sorry that you personally are disappointed, but you don’t need to keep shouting it from the rooftops.

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

St_Eddie - 20 September 2022 05:27 PM

Actually, I am kinda enjoying it.  It just doesn’t feel like a Monkey Island game to me; it’s more like a less challenging version of A Vampyre Story, with the aesthetics of Costume Quest. Thankfully, I went into this game fully expecting it to be a disappointment, so I’m not overly devastated by a 30 year long fantasy being a let down.  I learned the hard way not to allow expectations and hype to get the better of me with both The Phantom Menace and Prometheus.  My philosophy for decades long anticipated sequels these days is ‘expect the worst, hope for the best’.  I don’t ever want to go through the sheer heartbreak of Prometheus ever again.

I think that’s just a red herring, as when you return to Stan after visting his shipyard, Guybrush tells him that his office was locked and as such he was unable to acquire Stan’s toothbrush and Stan tells him not to worry about it.  It’s weird and just makes visiting Stan’s shipyard all the more pointless (literally the only function that location served was to acquire a sponge, which could have been placed in literally any other location by the developers) and all the more a blatant excuse for further member berries.

Oh gawd, yes!  I hate the text in this game.  I have it set to ‘small’ and it’s still distractingly large and the font resembles comics sans.  I really wish there was an option for classic text, like there was in Thimbleweed Park.

I think theres a chance the toothbrush thing might come up later as we must be revisiting Melee Island later as we still haven’t seen the pirate leaders fish shop.

Maybe when we revisit we will have an update on how Stan’s trial is going.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Owskie - 20 September 2022 05:48 PM

While your last post was arguably the least negative of the bunch (which is why I assume you qualified it with “my previous post”) you’ve been obnoxiously negative pretty consistently.

I’m allowed to be critical of a game which I paid money for, just as I’m allowed to express my genuine thoughts about a game which I’ve played, as are you and everyone else upon this forum.

You quickly crossed the line between constructive criticism into whining.

Critique of entertainment is not a synonym for “whining”.

The things you’re bitching about, I absolutely love and it doesn’t make it bad.

What an incredibly egocentric statement.  I never said that you weren’t allowed to enjoy the game or that just because I don’t personally like something, that it makes it objectively bad.  I don’t even know who you are!  Why do assume that I’m trying to stop you from loving the game?  You’re welcome to your own opinion, person I’ve never spoken to before.  I never said otherwise.  If you love the game, then good for you.  I wish that I loved it just as much as you do but I don’t.  I’m just expressing my own personal and subjective opinion about a game which I paid money for.  That’s my right and I’m invoking it.

I’m sorry that you personally are disappointed, but you don’t need to keep shouting it from the rooftops.

I’m providing my thoughts on the game as I play through it.  I thought that’s what this thread was for, no?

If you don’t like reading my posts, then don’t read them or put me on ignore.  Alternatively, you could actually respond to my criticisms with counter-arguments and attempt to refute my points.  That’s how civil debates work.  What you don’t have a right to do is to try and tell me what I can and cannot say in terms of my opinion about a game, just because my views don’t happen to align with your own.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Toymafia1988 - 20 September 2022 06:07 PM

I think theres a chance the toothbrush thing might come up later as we must be revisiting Melee Island later as we still haven’t seen the pirate leaders fish shop.

Ah yes!  Good point.  Judging by the preview clips, it’s a shame that when we revisit Mêlée Island later on, it won’t be daytime.  That seems like a missed opportunity, both to give us something we’ve never seen before and as a nice variation in atmosphere and aesthetics.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Finished the game and I thought it was great. Feels like a Monkey Island game from top to bottom. From the subtle & dry humor to the creative characters, etc. I especially love the new characters in LeChuck’s ghost crew.

RtMI makes intelligent use of nostalgia to muse on the changes the series’ creators and its fans have experienced over the years. It makes for a genuinely heartfelt game, beneath all the piratey antics. The framing device of the prologue does a really good job at setting the tone right at the start.

The streamlined gameplay didn’t take away from the depth of writing or incidental gags. Playing with “writer’s mode” turned on may have added to that, but I haven’t gone back to check. Puzzle wise it ramps up gradually, starts off easy and becomes a significantly more challenging game once you can freely travel between islands. It’s a very well balanced game, I felt the puzzles were challenging enough to be satisfying but I never had to consult the in-game hint system. I played on hard mode for anyone wondering.

For me the art wound up being a mixed bag. There’s many environments in the game that I think look quite nice, especially with the little animations and visual effects they use to make the scene come alive. Others have a clutter of excessively skewed angles. Plus certain character designs are really bad IMO. I still don’t like the harsh carved-looking details on Guybrush’s face, but there’s parts of the game that do look great.

I’m curious to see what the overall consensus will be on the ending moving forward. Without saying too much, that’ll be an interesting conversation. But I had a lot of fun with the game and I’m glad it’s getting such a positive reception and seems to be doing good numbers as well.

Total Posts: 530

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

St_Eddie - 20 September 2022 06:15 PM
Toymafia1988 - 20 September 2022 06:07 PM

Ah yes!  Good point.  Judging by the preview clips, it’s a shame that when we revisit Mêlée Island later on, it won’t be daytime.  That seems like a missed opportunity, both to give us something we’ve never seen before and as a nice variation in atmosphere and aesthetics.

I like to imagine Mêlée Island as a place where the sun never rises. Besides, it’s a fictional world and I don’t think we necessarily need to see all sides of it, as if it were a cubist painting.

AKA Charo

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Just finished Act 1. Enjoying it greatly. Reaction to the nostalgia may depend on how recently you’ve played the other games. I haven’t since the special editions came out over a decade ago, so it feels appropriate. Though I am looking forward to some new locations. And not to beat the art style dead horse, but in motion I think it’s the 2nd best looking Monkey Island game after Curse. Nothing beats Curse.

Total Posts: 219

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Just wanted to say that this whole conversation sounds like grumpy grandpa’s “good ol’ days” winning… but then I noticed those are actually just St_Eddie’s posts.

Christ man, just let go of all of your prejudices and play the game. It’s almost like you don’t allow yourself to enjoy it, because you’d have to admit it’s not as bad as you thought it would be. And if you’ll really end up hating it… well, so be it. The world won’t end.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top