• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy Rain Directors Cut unofficial CPT

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think I have a problem. Am in the police station. I need to distract Lenny. There is a clue that says Pour coffee on files. That doesn’t work. Went to a YT walkthrough, and the same clue says pour coffee on plant.

It seems as if the in-game hints are inconsistent. That is troubling to me.

Still, it seems like I am close to arriving at Day Two. Should be able to get there by Thursday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 13 November 2021 09:25 PM

I think I have a problem. Am in the police station. I need to distract Lenny. There is a clue that says Pour coffee on files. That doesn’t work. Went to a YT walkthrough, and the same clue says pour coffee on plant.

Still, it seems like I am close to arriving at Day Two. Should be able to get there by Thursday.

you pour the coffee on the plant

Good to hear you will arrive on time for day 2. I myself am at the checkpoint.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Adv_Lvr - 13 November 2021 11:00 AM

Got a question for Krusbert here……..where did he get the idea for Kathy Rain? Where did the character come from?

She is pretty unique, love to know her background……

Heart

Looks like an early version of Girl with the dragon tattoo.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Gabe - 14 November 2021 07:39 AM

Got a question for Krusbert here……..where did he get the idea for Kathy Rain? Where did the character come from?

Heart

Looks like an early version of Girl with the dragon tattoo.

So true!

Anyway, day one went well for me, it has one new scene and one new puzzle which added to the game. A much better day one for me.

Estimates for time to complete are about 8 hours total playtime split between 5 days. So it’s about 1.5 hours a week.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I played day 1. Honestly, I didn’t even realize there was added content, even though I did remember a lot of things getting back to the game.

I have to make a confession at this point: I didn’t and still don’t really like Kathy. When the game first came out, I should’ve jumped to play it but I started it for the first time in spring 2019 after hearing a strong recommendation from an irl acquaintance. I really liked the game, but never was taken by Kathy as a character.

I guess it’s mostly about it being a bit of a cliché, she’s this “cool and tough” grunge persona from the 90s - smoking, biking, leather jacket, smartass. I wouldn’t say Kathy is unlikeable or a bad character, and I think I didn’t really dislike her at the end of the game, but something about her just doesn’t really resonate with me. I feel like she’s supposed to be cool but she just isn’t for me. On the other hand I am happy she’s at least a woman, usually this archetype is a dude, and that would have been horribly boring. Wink 

But the story is once again picking up at a good pace - slow but steady - and I am interested in where it’s going. (My memories from the earlier playthrough are kind of jumbled and I’m not even trying to remember what it was all about.)

I wasn’t stuck at all as I did have a good enough recollection of the earlier playthrough. The puzzles and progression was pretty good. The game has hotspot highlighter and the roommate seems to work as a hint provider, so I feel like I’m in good hands here (hopefully not left wandering around aimlessly at any point).

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not remembering as much as I thought I would. Am stuck on the briefcase puzzle. Have three possible solutions, but none of them work.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 15 November 2021 09:37 PM

Not remembering as much as I thought I would. Am stuck on the briefcase puzzle. Have three possible solutions, but none of them work.

The combination is:

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Adv_Lvr - 15 November 2021 10:16 PM
rtrooney - 15 November 2021 09:37 PM

The combination is:

Heart

Not sure where you got that number. Well I do know. It’s in the math book, but there is nothing I saw that made it stand out from any of the other numbers.

I also know that I’m very near the end of day one. Although it was a very frustrating journey. It took a video walkthrough to get me here. Particularly because I did exactly what happened in the WT, but I didn’t get the desired result. Similar to what happened in the police office. In this instance, I’m at the lake cottage, but can’t talk to Sue. I think I should offer a cigarette, but I can’t pull it out of inventory before she shuts the door. Except that’s exactly what I need to do per the WT video. Really pisses me off. So now I will go back and try it again. If successful, it will take me to the end of day one. If not, I’m not sure what I will do.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Don’t know about this game. Did exactly what I did before, but this time it worked. Went through all the conversations and have now arrived at the start of day two. Yea!

Edit: When I say I don’t know about this game, I mean I don’t recall having any technical glitches when we played the original. The glitches I’ve experienced with the DC: If you’re supposed to pour the coffee on the plant, you shouldn’t receive a pop-up clue that tells you to do something else. If you need to offer a smoke to Sue, you shouldn’t have to play the sequence ten or fifteen times to achieve the desired result. The only “meaningful” thing that is different is that it’s on a new engine, and I wonder if that’s the cause of the problems I’m seeing. It’s not a deal breaker ... yet. But it is frustrating.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 16 November 2021 04:22 PM

Don’t know about this game. Did exactly what I did before, but this time it worked. Went through all the conversations and have now arrived at the start of day two. Yea!

Edit: When I say I don’t know about this game, I mean I don’t recall having any technical glitches when we played the original. The glitches I’ve experienced with the DC: If you’re supposed to pour the coffee on the plant, you shouldn’t receive a pop-up clue that tells you to do something else. If you need to offer a smoke to Sue, you shouldn’t have to play the sequence ten or fifteen times to achieve the desired result. The only “meaningful” thing that is different is that it’s on a new engine, and I wonder if that’s the cause of the problems I’m seeing. It’s not a deal breaker ... yet. But it is frustrating.

The cigarette with Sue is hinted (triggered) by looking at the ashtray next to the door. So after you interact with the ashtray offering Sue cigarettes goes well. You can interact the coffee pot with anything really and the games says “interact coffee pot with file, etc. But Kathy will tell you she does not think that will do anything when you try it. The coffee pot just works with the plant.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sorry to say that I looked at the ashtray and butts on the floor when I first arrived at Sue’s place. If that was the trigger, it didn’t work.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 16 November 2021 08:49 PM

Sorry to say that I looked at the ashtray and butts on the floor when I first arrived at Sue’s place. If that was the trigger, it didn’t work.

Worked like a charm for me. Anyway, glad you made it through day 1. Hopefully Day 2 is easier on you and more fun.

Tomorrow we start day 2, can’t wait myself, I’m really enjoying the game so far.

Heart

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

rtrooney - 13 November 2021 09:25 PM

rtrooney - 16 November 2021 04:22 PM

We did not put in any deliberate clue that you should pour coffee on any files. What specific hint are you referring to here? And what do you mean by “pop-up clue”? Are you talking about the tutorial message in the jail about combining inventory items?

rtrooney - 16 November 2021 08:49 PM

The ashtray has nothing to do with the puzzle. It’s just a hint. You only need to do one thing, and that’s to knock on the door and then drag and drop the smokes on Sue before she closes the door. When playing with a mouse you have six seconds to do that, which felt like plenty of time to me (longer and it seemed like Sue just stares at you forever).

But maybe we should put a checkbox in the options to disable puzzle timers as an accessibility option. Players have varying reaction speeds and some may have physical disabilities that would make it more difficult to do a quick mouse precision movement like this, and it would be a shame if we alienated a player for a reason like that.

Heart

I’ve always enjoyed strong female characters in various media and I knew I wanted to create a character like that. There’s a little bit of Veronica Mars in Kathy, some Buffy, some Ellen Ripley and yes, also Lisbeth Salander from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, as mentioned Smile

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve also got to the stopping point.

Krusbert - 17 November 2021 01:19 PM

I’ve always enjoyed strong female characters in various media and I knew I wanted to create a character like that. There’s a little bit of Veronica Mars in Kathy, some Buffy, some Ellen Ripley and yes, also Lisbeth Salander from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, as mentioned Smile

I had a penchant for watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo again after it was mentioned & can see why it could spring to mind – two smoking, biker Goth girls with Swedish connections.
I did though find Kathy much more likeable than Lisbeth.

I’d remembered a lot from the original game so breezed through with no problems. Did anyone else notice that the plant in the Sheriff’s Office later on looked very peeky!  Laughing

I’d forgotten what Fibonacci numbers were but after reminding myself managed to solve the puzzle.
I’m enjoying the replay so far.  Thumbs Up 

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

chrissie - 17 November 2021 02:09 PM

I had a penchant for watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo again after it was mentioned & can see why it could spring to mind – two smoking, biker Goth girls with Swedish connections.
I did though find Kathy much more likeable than Lisbeth.

But which Lisbeth Noomi or Rooney?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top