• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Forbes Magazine Ranks The Top 15 Adventure Games

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

I just saw this via Twitter/X posting earlier today…

https://www.forbes.com/sites/technology/article/adventure-games/?sh=74737f9b4434

Who would have thought Forbes would take an interest in such?  Then you realize that their definition of “Adventure Game” is quite broad, and the majority of the top titles are AAA efforts like God of War, Uncharted, Zelda, etc.

At least “Fate of Atlantis” checks in at #3.

Anyway, I’m sure this will get some debate going…

Total Posts: 1293

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I don’t know whether to laugh or to cry.

Do we make here a list of best companys or best millionaires in the world?

Exactly…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2096

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The list is totally ridiculous, but I have this feeling that in year or so Adventuregamers will post a similar list. They are already promoting Tomb Raider as something of adventure game kind, so there’s no hope left. At least this list features Gabriel Knight and Fate of Atlantis, yay!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1687

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

This is the natural progression when people act like genres don’t mean anything. Especially in the adventure game genre, because technically anything is an adventure game or at least adventure game adjacent.

Especially when you have developers of former top shelf adventure games like broken sword and Monkey Island purposely going in that direction anyways. Been a slippery slope for years with casual games, and 3rd person action games with some Adventure elements in them being lumped in to the genre, all under the guise that some new mythical fan base is going to find point and clicks and reinvigorate the genre.

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Is this article written by AI? Its either that or an attempt to troll clicks. But seriously if you ask AI to write an article of top adventure games its going to produce the same kind of confused bouncing back and forth of acclaimed games. In fact after reading it closely, im about 95% sure this is AI. There are sentences that feel completely weird and out of place.
Edit: i just tried it out with google’s AI, it comes up with similar lists with uncharted and zelda at the top.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Heres my ai article made in 10 seconds. The forbes article has some more work with the prompt, but pretty sure its the same idea.

Adventure games offer a world of escapism, challenging puzzles, and captivating narratives. From swashbuckling pirates to time-bending mysteries, there’s an adventure game out there for everyone. Here’s a look at 10 of the most popular and critically acclaimed titles that will have you itching to explore:

Uncharted Series (PlayStation):  This cinematic series follows charming treasure hunter Nathan Drake on a globe-trotting quest for lost cities and artifacts. With a blend of action, exploration, and witty dialogue, Uncharted is a nonstop thrill ride.

Tomb Raider (Multiplatform): Lara Croft is a gaming icon, and the recent Tomb Raider reboot puts players in her boots as she navigates perilous tombs and unravels ancient secrets. Expect stunning visuals, challenging puzzles, and a compelling origin story for Lara.

Life is Strange Series (Multiplatform): This episodic choice-driven adventure focuses on ordinary people caught in extraordinary situations. With emotional storylines, relatable characters, and a unique time-manipulation mechanic in the first game, Life is Strange will leave you questioning your choices.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch): This open-world masterpiece redefined adventure games. Explore a vast Hyrule filled with secrets, conquer challenging shrines, and battle memorable enemies. Breath of the Wild offers unparalleled freedom and a sense of discovery.

Monkey Island Series (Multiplatform): A classic point-and-click adventure, Monkey Island follows wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood on his hilarious misadventures in the Caribbean. With witty puzzles, slapstick humor, and a memorable cast of characters, Monkey Island is a timeless gem.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC):  Step into the shoes of Indy himself in this classic adventure game. Explore exotic locations, solve environmental puzzles, and uncover a thrilling conspiracy based on the popular film franchise.

Grim Fandango (PC):  This visually stunning adventure blends noir detective stories with Mexican folklore. Manny Calavera, a travel agent for the recently deceased, helps a client navigate the underworld in a story filled with humor, mystery, and unforgettable characters.

Firewatch (Multiplatform):  This narrative-driven adventure focuses on a fire lookout stationed in the Wyoming wilderness. Uncover a strange mystery through radio conversations, explore a beautiful yet isolated environment,  and grapple with themes of loneliness and human connection.

Outer Wilds (Multiplatform): Buckle up for a mind-bending space exploration adventure. Explore a solar system trapped in a 22-minute time loop, unraveling its secrets before the inevitable reset.  Outer Wilds offers a unique blend of discovery, risk-taking, and a sense of awe at the vastness of space.

What Remains of Edith Finch (Multiplatform):  This poignant and beautiful narrative adventure explores a mysterious family history. Explore a hauntingly beautiful house, uncover the stories of Edith’s deceased relatives through interactive vignettes, and ponder the themes of life, loss, and the power of storytelling.

In short: dont get up in arms about the content of the list. Get up in arms that forbes is using AI. (Besides theres no way a human who’s played sins of the fathers would put it on the same list as uncharted at #1). Fun fact: if you prompt with adventure you get all adventure games. If you prompt with words like popular adventure you get a mish mash of action like my list and forbes.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

zane - 28 May 2024 03:27 PM

Heres my ai article made in 10 seconds. The forbes article has some more work with the prompt, but pretty sure its the same idea.

Adventure games offer a world of escapism, challenging puzzles, and captivating narratives. From swashbuckling pirates to time-bending mysteries, there’s an adventure game out there for everyone. Here’s a look at 10 of the most popular and critically acclaimed titles that will have you itching to explore:

Uncharted Series (PlayStation):  This cinematic series follows charming treasure hunter Nathan Drake on a globe-trotting quest for lost cities and artifacts. With a blend of action, exploration, and witty dialogue, Uncharted is a nonstop thrill ride.

Tomb Raider (Multiplatform): Lara Croft is a gaming icon, and the recent Tomb Raider reboot puts players in her boots as she navigates perilous tombs and unravels ancient secrets. Expect stunning visuals, challenging puzzles, and a compelling origin story for Lara.

Life is Strange Series (Multiplatform): This episodic choice-driven adventure focuses on ordinary people caught in extraordinary situations. With emotional storylines, relatable characters, and a unique time-manipulation mechanic in the first game, Life is Strange will leave you questioning your choices.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch): This open-world masterpiece redefined adventure games. Explore a vast Hyrule filled with secrets, conquer challenging shrines, and battle memorable enemies. Breath of the Wild offers unparalleled freedom and a sense of discovery.

Monkey Island Series (Multiplatform): A classic point-and-click adventure, Monkey Island follows wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood on his hilarious misadventures in the Caribbean. With witty puzzles, slapstick humor, and a memorable cast of characters, Monkey Island is a timeless gem.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC):  Step into the shoes of Indy himself in this classic adventure game. Explore exotic locations, solve environmental puzzles, and uncover a thrilling conspiracy based on the popular film franchise.

Grim Fandango (PC):  This visually stunning adventure blends noir detective stories with Mexican folklore. Manny Calavera, a travel agent for the recently deceased, helps a client navigate the underworld in a story filled with humor, mystery, and unforgettable characters.

Firewatch (Multiplatform):  This narrative-driven adventure focuses on a fire lookout stationed in the Wyoming wilderness. Uncover a strange mystery through radio conversations, explore a beautiful yet isolated environment,  and grapple with themes of loneliness and human connection.

Outer Wilds (Multiplatform): Buckle up for a mind-bending space exploration adventure. Explore a solar system trapped in a 22-minute time loop, unraveling its secrets before the inevitable reset.  Outer Wilds offers a unique blend of discovery, risk-taking, and a sense of awe at the vastness of space.

What Remains of Edith Finch (Multiplatform):  This poignant and beautiful narrative adventure explores a mysterious family history. Explore a hauntingly beautiful house, uncover the stories of Edith’s deceased relatives through interactive vignettes, and ponder the themes of life, loss, and the power of storytelling.

In short: dont get up in arms about the content of the list. Get up in arms that forbes is using AI. (Besides theres no way a human who’s played sins of the fathers would put it on the same list as uncharted at #1). Fun fact: if you prompt with adventure you get all adventure games. If you prompt with words like popular adventure you get a mish mash of action like my list and forbes.

Actually there are I’ve seen people on YouTube do it, but you are correct it’s not as confused as this forbes list. they usually try to work it in with a around about way, aka it is an adventure game if you squint your eyes real hard type and pretend. I have seen several people try to say that Uncharted is an adventure game on youtube, I suspect the reason is they know the video might get a couple more clicks if they try to include it, bc Uncharted is a very popular franchise and adventure games is a small genre, so including a game like Uncharted in the tags will boost their visibility in the algorithm.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Any list without The Day of the Tentacle is invalid, made by humans, AI or aliens…  Smile

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

walas74 - 28 May 2024 04:44 PM

Any list without The Day of the Tentacle is invalid, made by humans, AI or aliens…  Smile

Just for you, i shortened it to 3 and told AI DotT needs to be #1 Grin funny enough, i didnt tell it to make a top list of time travel games, it decided on its own. (Wrongly, but hey )

Top 3 Time-Twisting Adventures You Shouldn’t Miss: A Journey Through Puzzles and Paradoxes
Adventure games have a special place in the hearts of gamers. They whisk you away on fantastical journeys, test your wit with brain-bending puzzles, and introduce you to unforgettable characters. Today, we’re diving into the realm of time travel, exploring three incredible adventures that will have you rewriting history (or at least feeling like you are).

#3: Broken Age (2014)

Double Fine Productions’ Broken Age takes a unique approach to storytelling. This point-and-click adventure unfolds across two acts, initially presented as separate downloadable titles. Vella Tartarin, a young woman yearning to escape the confines of her luxurious space cruiser, finds herself stranded on a deserted asteroid. Meanwhile, Shay, a boy living in a poor village, dreams of becoming a hero and breaking free from his mundane life. As you progress through the game, the seemingly disparate narratives begin to converge, revealing a deeper connection and a shared destiny. Broken Age’s charm lies in its captivating art style, quirky humor, and the emotional connection you build with both Vella and Shay.

#2: The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)

Prepare to set sail for a life of swashbuckling adventure in The Secret of Monkey Island, the iconic adventure game from LucasArts. You take on the role of aspiring pirate Guybrush Threepwood, a lovable goofball determined to become a legend of the high seas.  Armed with nothing but his wits and a healthy dose of naiveté, Guybrush navigates the treacherous waters of the Caribbean, facing off against rival pirates, solving witty puzzles, and wooing the lovely Governor Elaine Marley. With its witty dialogue, memorable characters, and a world brimming with pirate lore, The Secret of Monkey Island is a timeless classic that continues to delight players of all ages.

#1: Day of the Tentacle (1993)

The crown jewel of time-twisting adventures goes to LucasArts’ Day of the Tentacle.  This wacky sequel to Maniac Mansion throws you headfirst into a hilarious sci-fi escapade. Bernard Bernoulli and Laverne Gibbons find themselves facing the ultimate threat: their nerdy neighbor, Purple Tentacle, who has mutated into a world-conquering monstrosity. The brilliance lies in the game’s dual-timeline mechanic. You can switch between Bernard in 2022, desperately trying to prevent the future disaster, and Laverne trapped in 1993, needing to gather the resources to aid her future self.  Day of the Tentacle is a masterclass in comedic storytelling, with a healthy dose of sci-fi absurdity and puzzles that will have you scratching your head in delight.

So, if you’re looking for an adventure that will transport you through time, test your problem-solving skills, and leave you with a smile, these three classics are a must-play!

Grin

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ha, I asked copilot for the best pure adventure games of all time. Here is it’s answer (Google Translated from Spanish(

Adventure games have left an indelible mark on the history of video games. Here is a selection of some of the best adventure games of all time:

The Secret of Monkey Island:
Developed by Lucasfilm Games, this pirate adventure takes us to Mêlée Island, where young Guybrush Threepwood seeks to become a true pirate. The humor, puzzles and atmosphere inspired by the “Pirates of the Caribbean” attraction make this game an unforgettable classic.

Maniac Mansion:
This self-published game by Lucasfilm Games laid the foundation for the SCUMM engine. Inspired by B-series horror movies, it follows the story of a young man who must rescue his girlfriend from a house with very peculiar tenants.

Day of the Tentacle:
Spiritual sequel to Maniac Mansion, this time travel adventure combines humor, eccentric characters and clever puzzles. Available on GOG and Steam.

Loom:
A less popular but unique adventure. Here you don’t select actions, but magic notes. The tone is epic fantasy, and the music (with themes from “Swan Lake”) is a key element.

Full Throttle:
Another gem from LucasArts. Control Ben, a motorcyclist in a futuristic world full of conspiracies and mysteries. The rock soundtrack and solid narrative make this game an unforgettable experience.

Grim Fandango Remastered:
A noir adventure set in the underworld. Follow Manny Calavera, a travel agent for lost souls. The mix of humor, art inspired by Mexican art, and an intriguing plot make it a modern classic.

Broken Sword: The Legend of the Templars:
A graphic adventure of mystery and conspiracy. Join journalist George Stobbart in his search for the truth behind the Knights Templar.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis:
Based on the famous archaeologist, this adventure follows Indy on his search for the legendary lost city of Atlantis. Three different routes offer great replayability.

Sam & Max: Hit the Road:
Detectives Sam & Max solve absurd cases in this adventure full of black humor. Created by Steve Purcell, it is a unique experience.

The Wolf Among Us:
Although more modern, this adventure based on the comic “Fables” deserves a place on the list. Explore a dark world full of fairy tale characters in a plot full of twists.

These are just some of the many adventure games that have left their mark on the history of video games. I hope you enjoy exploring these worlds full of mystery and creativity

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Well done, i wonder if forbes will pay us now.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2022-07-03

PM

the problem is even AG has opened up what classes as adventure.Uncharted would be action adventure as would any game that goes beyond casual inclusion.walking sims are questionable inclusions as are HOG’s.adventure games in point and click style have always been a niche market.stores use adventure tags blindly,in particular mobile games.Aggies have nonconvential adventure category now.

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

This struck me as very odd.
Quote: Adventure games like Myst stepped away from combat and focused on exploring exotic locations and solving puzzles. These games have a spritual successor in Call of the Sea.
Stepping away from combat?? Myst was groundbreaking for more than one reason but not for this one. The overwhelming majority of adventures didn’t feature any combat in those days. Even weirder is the inclusion of Call of the Sea. I don’t know much about AI, is it really likely that such an unremarkable and imo rather bland game like Call of the Sea would be on its list?

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah, well thats the thing about AI, it cobbles together things that make it flow like a normal article but lacks context and overall substance.
This paragraph to me was possibly the worst

The games chosen for this list have been selected as excellent examples in each category. Please note that in the modern era, many of these games are available on multiple platforms, so anyone looking to try them shouldn’t disqualify them if they don’t possess the platform the game is listed under.

So first of all, it tries to setup this concept that each game is representing a category, and then never returns to that for the rest of the article. Like the AI found thats a good example of something to have in your writing and then didnt follow through with it. Then… “These games are on multiple platforms so if you dont have the platforms you shouldnt dismiss them…” What?? I can picture that line in a robot voice pretty clearly. A real editor doesnt let that sentence exist. There are ways to communicate that idea without sounding totally alien.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

neil gd - 30 May 2024 12:00 PM

the problem is even AG has opened up what classes as adventure.Uncharted would be action adventure as would any game that goes beyond casual inclusion.walking sims are questionable inclusions as are HOG’s.adventure games in point and click style have always been a niche market.stores use adventure tags blindly,in particular mobile games.Aggies have nonconvential adventure category now.

Yeah sometimes a YouTuber will try to slip in an Uncharted or a last of us simply because it will up their view count by adding that to an adventure game list

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zane - 30 May 2024 01:28 PM

Yeah, well thats the thing about AI, it cobbles together things that make it flow like a normal article but lacks context and overall substance.

You’re right, and that convoluted paragraph doesn’t help. So I guess it is an AI list.

Beats me why a “game designer with over 15 years worth of game credits and industry experience” would order AI to produce a list. What’s the point?

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top