• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 20 January

Total Posts: 5621

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Although this is not a game I would play, I found Izno’s initial post about it well thought out and interesting.  It certainly has generated a lot of discussion, which, in my book, is all to the good.  Thumbs Up

I don’t really rise and shine.  I caffeinate and hope for the best.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

To be honest the scene of the day has gone downhill since Kurufinwe stopped doing it. I don’t know if you guys are aware, there are thousands of obscure adventure games not discussed here and unknown to the users, we don’t need to see the same Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight scenes all the time, let alone Mass Effect.

Total Posts: 6598

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

GrahamDaventry - 24 January 2016 01:56 PM

To be honest the scene of the day has gone downhill since Kurufinwe stopped doing it. I don’t know if you guys are aware, there are thousands of obscure adventure games not discussed here and unknown to the users, we don’t need to see the same Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight scenes all the time, let alone Mass Effect.

Yeah, and you were nowhere to be found when volunteers were needed.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Just saying that I thought the puzzle and the presentation to be good and interesting. I’m a bit weirded out about all the whines and nitpicks I’ve seen on this forum lately. Some of them are surely justified but the overall amount seems to have risen - at least in my eyes.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 24 January 2016 08:45 AM

Let me just remind everybody of what my stated purpose is with these Midweek Puzzles:

Iznogood - 03 June 2015 09:33 AM

In these specials I will be focusing on what is one of the most important parts of adventure games imo - The Puzzles. Either in the form of a specific puzzle, a certain type of puzzle or puzzle mechanics, or simply a game that excels in the puzzle department.

This weeks feature is 100% in compliance with that purpose!

It might not be to everybody’s taste, or what all of you are interested in, but that is fine, there are also plenty of other things going on in this forum, that I personally have absolutely zero interest in.

And lets not forget that we are talking about 2 out of 30+ Midweek Puzzles that has featured a puzzle or puzzle elements from a game that isn’t AG.

That’s fair enough. What’s important is that some people are enjoying what you’re doing.
Keep it up!  Thumbs Up

millenia - 24 January 2016 02:25 PM

Just saying that I thought the puzzle and the presentation to be good and interesting. I’m a bit weirded out about all the whines and nitpicks I’ve seen on this forum lately. Some of them are surely justified but the overall amount seems to have risen - at least in my eyes.

Criticism isn’t anything to worry about. Better that than the forum turning into a North Korean version of cyberspace with constant unmerited blind praise.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar - 24 January 2016 03:03 PM

Criticism isn’t anything to worry about.

Until the people who actually put some work into making these forums alive and interesting get fed up with the constant second-guessing and stop doing it altogether.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

To be honest the scene of the day has gone downhill since Kurufinwe stopped doing it. I don’t know if you guys are aware, there are thousands of obscure adventure games not discussed here and unknown to the users….....

You obviously missed Bastich’s year of AGSotD!  Laughing

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 January 2016 04:13 PM

Until the people who actually put some work into making these forums alive and interesting get fed up with the constant second-guessing and stop doing it altogether.

That hasn’t happened, to my knowledge. To the contrary Advie left because people didn’t like him expressing his opinion, and the forum is much less lively without him.

Total Posts: 7488

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 24 January 2016 09:19 PM
Kurufinwe - 24 January 2016 04:13 PM

That hasn’t happened, to my knowledge. To the contrary Advie left because people didn’t like him expressing his opinion, and the forum is much less lively without him.

Advie was banned.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There is a totally appropriate thread for this discussion to take place. It’s the AGSotD thread.

And yes, more than a few of us have wondered whether the nitpicking is worth the effort we try to put into this ongoing thread. As I’m sure all of our predecessors did as well. Again, see the above thread.

My suggestion is to view it as it is. A group of volunteers trying to continue a tradition. I don’t think anyone, other than me has a motive. My motive is simply to create an awareness of casual games one day/week. None of us promote sales of games.

We just do it for the fun of it. Until, of course, the negative criticism makes it no longer fun. And then we quit. And AGSotD dies.

As far as GrahamDaventry is concerned, he/she with his/her 4 posts, is either too new to be qualified to make comments. Or he/she is a perhaps banned prior member trolling for an argument. Either way, the comments should be ignored.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7488

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 24 January 2016 05:23 PM

To be honest the scene of the day has gone downhill since Kurufinwe stopped doing it. I don’t know if you guys are aware, there are thousands of obscure adventure games not discussed here and unknown to the users….....

Right…
I’ll add that both Chrissie and I were criticized for posting pics from obscure adventures.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar - 24 January 2016 09:19 PM

Three months into doing the AGSD, I never wanted to interact with anyone on these forums again. Pig-headedness and an OCD when it comes to structure are pretty much the only things that kept me going. I’ve hardly made any valuable contribution to these forums since I stopped doing the AGSD, and I certainly have no intention of putting any work into generating content or discussion ever again. So there’s one example for you. Look around and you’ll quickly find more.

As for Advie, all I’ll say on the matter is good fucking riddance.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 24 January 2016 09:54 PM
chrissie - 24 January 2016 05:23 PM

Right…
I’ll add that both Chrissie and I were criticized for posting pics from obscure adventures.

Wow, that baffles me. Why would anyone do that? Surely discovering games you’ve never heard of is a good thing.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Clearly, this whole “criticism” conversation has struck a nerve with me, so I want to add a few words. Note that none of this is directed at Oscar or anyone in particular.

These forums are entirely built on user-generated content. No one’s a customer. No one gets to complain. No one gets to walk up to the counter and demand to see a manager. What these forums need is more content, more conversation. Putting people off from creating content by constantly second-guessing them goes against that goal. If you don’t like some of the content that other users generate, then don’t complain about it: make your own. That way, we have more content and more diversity. Everybody wins.

Recent example: The community playthroughs are a lovely tradition and some of the best conversation that ever happened on these forums. However, in order to have as many participants as possible, they move at a glacial pace, and whenever it’s time to pick a new game, it’s three weeks straight of ever more ridiculous bickering. Clearly diego wasn’t entirely happy about this. So did he go and complain about it? No: he created his own format of community playthroughs, with a faster pace and no voting process. And he put a lot of work into ensuring that the first playthrough was lively and successful. That is how things should be done.

So, going back to the present thread: If you think that the forums need more conversation about puzzle design, but don’t like the way Iznogood does it, then make your own damn thing. Do a thread where people discuss their favourite puzzle and try to analyse why they enjoyed it so much. Do a thread looking at the evolution of a certain type of puzzles over time. Talk about a book on game design you’re currently reading, share some interesting insights and discuss how they apply to adventure games. Do a weekly thread about each of Ron Gilbert’s Rules of Thumb, discussing the relevance of each rule in today’s landscape. Or something else. And above all, do the work. Don’t just come up with an idea and expect people to generate content for you. Generate content for them first, make it interesting, make it enjoyable, make it fun, and then maybe, hopefully, they’ll reciprocate.

And if you’re not willing to do that, then at least stop discouraging those who are.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top