• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

rtrooney - 11 September 2022 07:10 PM
Charophycean - 06 September 2022 11:38 PM

By no good compression do you mean the compression’s poor? Because no compression isn’t a bad thing.

Please define what you mean by compression. I play guitar and I have a compression pedal on my pedal board, and I know what it does. But in this instance I have no idea what your are talking about. Maybe if you’re talking about the voice acting, your talking about taking the basic track into the studio and adding a bit of reverb or delay to enhance the ambiance. Or, if the chosen take sounds a bit nasal you EQ the mids down a bit and boost the highs. Compression is being thrown out there as if everyone knows what that means. In the context of the way it’s being used here, I don’t have a clue.

Seems fairly obvious to me that @Charophycean is referring to the bitrate and is saying that a higher bitrate results in lossless audio quality.  Whereas, conversely, a lower bitrate results in tinny or fuzzy sounding audio files (just compare the speech within Day of the Tentacle Remastered with the speech within the original VGA release).

Total Posts: 530

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

That’s pretty much what I meant. Game audio used to be highly compressed to fit it on to floppies and CDs, making it lose quality. I was responding to the comment above which said there’s no good compression and wondering why that would be a bad thing, so I don’t know if they meant the same thing.

I know there are people out there who think anything in higher resolution than 640x480 pixel art is bad graphics, so maybe there are others who think any that any audio that doesn’t sound distorted and tinny like it did in the 90s is bad audio.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Then it is obvious that what I musically think of compression is totally different from what you think of compression. While you explained your concept very well, I’m not sure I understand it. But that’s OK. I’m probably not the person you’re directing your comments to.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 868

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

St_Eddie - 11 September 2022 08:19 PM

Seems fairly obvious to me that @Charophycean is referring to the bitrate and is saying that a higher bitrate results in lossless audio quality.  Whereas, conversely, a lower bitrate results in tinny or fuzzy sounding audio files (just compare the speech within Day of the Tentacle Remastered with the speech within the original VGA release).

Well, obviously bitrate is not compression.
It indeed affects sound quality, but you can have an audio file with a low bitrate in FLAC format, and it would be uncompressed audio.

But higher bitrate is obviously not the same thing as lossless audio, if it’s for instance an MP3 file, it’s always compressed.

On the other hand, 24-bit FLAC has a high sample frequency for high quality, and is also 100% lossless.

And for the record, I don’t think the audio in the video clips sounds badly compressed, although I think the sound levels aren’t perfect.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think it’s quite possible the audio mixing might not be fully finalized in those clips we’ve seen.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

Just under a week a way and I’ll be playing the switch version… glad to have the bank holiday to play it.

I’m going to try and go cold turkey stop rewatching the trailers and clips.

Want to go in fresh as possible.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Toymafia1988 - 12 September 2022 05:48 PM

I’m doing the same.  I already feel as though far too much of the game has been spoiled for my liking, via the various cast confirmations, interviews, screenshots and gameplay clips.  Damn my inability to resist the temptation of spoilers.  I’m not delving any further from this point on though.  I’ll just wait to play the game itself.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

St_Eddie - 05 September 2022 11:33 AM

New Monkey Island Monday clip

I like the dynamic closeups during dialogue and hope that it’s a recurring feature throughout the game.

This clip looks amazing. There have been a ton of noisy haters, but this new version of MI will shine! I can tell from this brief clip. I love that the world of Monkey Island has had a variety of show runners, but going back to Ron Gilbert’s original vision is a treat for this game. My take is: this is the best possible move forward for the franchise.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

St_Eddie - 12 September 2022 10:22 PM
Toymafia1988 - 12 September 2022 05:48 PM

I’m doing the same.  I already feel as though far too much of the game has been spoiled for my liking, via the various cast confirmations, interviews, screenshots and gameplay clips.  Damn my inability to resist the temptation of spoilers.  I’m not delving any further from this point on though.  I’ll just wait to play the game itself.

Same i wish i could unsee all the Monkey Island Mondays. Unless you can explore the whole of Melee Island I feel like I’ve already seen nearly all of the explorable areas in Melee Island.

Plus imagine if we didn’t know Wally or the pirate leaders were in the game or Murray and Stan were kept secret.

Total Posts: 1689

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

As a noisy hater, I will say this newest clip has been my favorite by far and the most the game has felt like monkey Island to me

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

@Vainamoinen - I’m so sorry, man but I did just go and pre-order Return to Monkey Island on Steam.  I’m part of the problem, I realise that.  I feel dirty for doing so.  I’m sorry, but I just want to play the new Monkey Island game that much!  It’s not only Steam, it’s also giving money to Disney.  Fuck, man!  What is wrong with me?!  All my morals have gone out of the window!  If it makes you feel better, then believe you me; I feel dirty and used.  I’m certainly not proud.  I buckled under the pressure.  Urgh.

I no longer have any right to get all moralistic about anything.  Meh

<<<<<<<<<————————- Official hypocritical arsehole

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Now that I’ve sold my soul to the devil, does anyone know how to pre-install on Steam?

Ouch! Stop poking my bottom with pointy sticks!  My soul is screwed!

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Seriously, why couldn’t they have released this game on GOG?  I feel awful for financially supporting a company (actually, two companies) that I hate.

Still, if someone could direct me past the burning brimstone of desolation and tell me how to pre-install this game, then that would be appreciated. Ta.

EDIT: Urgh, I hate Steam.  Not just for the fact that they are an EVIL company but for the way that I can’t do anything easily.  How do I pre-install, you stupid client?!  Gotta make everything a horrible challenge, like Apple.  Bastards.

Total Posts: 530

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Why do you need to pre-install? Doesn’t installing take less time than you took to write those 2 messages?

edit: Actually now I think about it the last Steam game I installed took half an hour. It usually takes less than a minute.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Not all games can be pre-installed. You’d see an obvious button if it was available.

Also, to temper expectations, it might also not be available until 10am PST/6pm BST on Monday. Not a hard and fast rule, but the majority of Steam releases are like that, and I haven’t seen Ron or Dave indicate otherwise.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Immortals of Aveum, Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2, Lies of P, Harold Halibut, Another Crab’s Treasure, Botany Manor
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum. Broken Sword: Reforged CE

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top