• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

If you could wipe one adventure game from your brain…

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

@Timmovieman

How have I insulted you twice?

Total Posts: 7488

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 23 May 2022 03:58 AM

so you read my original post but you are still assuming all the shit, you are just a nut bag

Bye Advie! Don’t forget to close the door behind you.

@Origami: I agree with your deleted post about the pronunciation of De Bruyne.

PS: I should rename this thread: If you could wipe one insult from your brain…

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Vegetable Party - 19 May 2022 09:02 AM

@Origami: did you ever finish A Link to the Past? I still haven’t reached the ending yet. I have it on the wii and I intend to finish it at some point in time (Inshallah). I considered The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening for the brain wipe treatment, but I’m not sure if it would resonate with me as much as it did when I played it on a borrowed cartridge as a kid.

I’ve heard good things about Metal Gear Solid 3 recently, especially about the narrative.

Yes, I finished A link the Past when I was a wee lad 9/10 years of age. Two years later I would be tackling Ocarina of Time. I still remember I only got stuck at one part with A link the past which was when you needed to find the ocarina. You obtain a shovel, but as a kid I had it figured out already it would not make sense to just brute-force your way and dig everywhere possible and it was poorly clued as to where you needed to start and I got kind of disheartened. Then asked a friend who borrowed me the game and told me to dig around the area where the kid plays the flute but in the dark world. It kind of makes sense but still involved a bit of brute-force digging up every spot in that area. I felt like I had missed a clue that should have narrowed it down a bit more. Definitely a remnant of 90’s gaming as more modern games would be more forgiving and make it more obvious with gamers’ attention span having substantially declined and all that.

Link’s Awakening is a great pick, by the way. It’s probably in my top 3 Zelda’s. Its eerie atmosphere goes unrivaled and it comes with a dark twist. I think after A Link to the Past it is the Zelda game I have revisited most often.

MGS3 offers one of the emotionally strongest endings I have encountered in any type of media yet. And believe me, I have played/watched/read a lot. The game is pretty much stand-alone and you don’t need to have played the other ones prior.

Which reminds me, having mentioned emotional endings, Last Of Us is another one worthy of a memory-wipe.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Couple of ideas here, good and bad..

Is there a soccer thread we can revive? Or a general sports anthems thread in the making?

This thread took a couple of turns. It will surprise noone I like a good segue (they’re so diverting). I’d say it’s up to Karlok how on topic the thread is supposed to be. But that should be equally stringent for everyone, not just for Advie.

Whatever direction the thread wil take, here’s another brain wipe candidate (and I just realized this thread is very Dystopian):

Limbo Of The Lost. Haven’t played it, know it thanks to Doom (the forum member not the game). Would like to experience this discovery again, right here on the forum.. it is truly something.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Origami - 23 May 2022 08:04 AM
Vegetable Party - 19 May 2022 09:02 AM

@Origami: did you ever finish A Link to the Past? I still haven’t reached the ending yet. I have it on the wii and I intend to finish it at some point in time (Inshallah). I considered The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening for the brain wipe treatment, but I’m not sure if it would resonate with me as much as it did when I played it on a borrowed cartridge as a kid.

I’ve heard good things about Metal Gear Solid 3 recently, especially about the narrative.

Yes, I finished A link the Past when I was a wee lad 9/10 years of age. Two years later I would be tackling Ocarina of Time. I still remember I only got stuck at one part with A link the past which was when you needed to find the ocarina. You obtain a shovel, but as a kid I had it figured out already it would not make sense to just brute-force your way and dig everywhere possible and it was poorly clued as to where you needed to start and I got kind of disheartened. Then asked a friend who borrowed me the game and told me to dig around the area where the kid plays the flute but in the dark world. It kind of makes sense but still involved a bit of brute-force digging up every spot in that area. I felt like I had missed a clue that should have narrowed it down a bit more. Definitely a remnant of 90’s gaming as more modern games would be more forgiving and make it more obvious with gamers’ attention span having substantially declined and all that.

Link’s Awakening is a great pick, by the way. It’s probably in my top 3 Zelda’s. Its eerie atmosphere goes unrivaled and it comes with a dark twist. I think after A Link to the Past it is the Zelda game I have revisited most often.

MGS3 offers one of the emotionally strongest endings I have encountered in any type of media yet. And believe me, I have played/watched/read a lot. The game is pretty much stand-alone and you don’t need to have played the other ones prior.

Which reminds me, having mentioned emotional endings, Last Of Us is another one worthy of a memory-wipe.

That’s awesome, thanks for your response!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Vegetable Party - 23 May 2022 08:10 AM

Couple of ideas here, good and bad..

Is there a soccer thread we can revive? Or a general sports anthems thread in the making?

This thread took a couple of turns. It will surprise noone I like a good segue (they’re so diverting). I’d say it’s up to Karlok how on topic the thread is supposed to be. But that should be equally stringent for everyone, not just for Advie.

the topic does not control the thread content, i can direct you to 10s of threads that were more productive and fascinating to progress into a different monster, VP, what i agree with (of course) football isn’t a topic to be discussed not on this thread only, but over the ‘adventure forum’ in general, but, since its no different from a movie or a song being thrown here and there, and hasn’t heisted the thread! It’s totally okay, imo

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Fuck off, Advie.

Total Posts: 5621

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Advie - 23 May 2022 10:16 AM

the topic does not control the thread content, i can direct you to 10s of threads that were more productive and fascinating to progress into a different monster, VP, what i agree with (of course) football isn’t a topic to be discussed not on this thread only, but over the ‘adventure forum’ in general, but, since its no different from a movie or a song being thrown here and there, and hasn’t heisted the thread! It’s totally okay, imo

No, it’s not okay when it leads to name calling.  Stay out of the thread if you can’t keep your animosities in check.

I don’t really rise and shine.  I caffeinate and hope for the best.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I don’t want parts of my memory to be erased. I want devs to earn their money the hard way. Memories aren’t isolated either, they have an influence on the whole brain. Old games won’t feel the same if you experience them nowadays only. But if i had to choose, I would go for more up to date VR games due to hopefully less harm and a lack of great content. To name a few: Shadow Point, Time Stall, Red Matter, Floor Plan 2, Trover Saves the Universe and so on. Don’t dare to touch my wild and sexy Sam & Max - This Time It’s Virtual! experiences.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Mentioning things outside of the scope of the thread is fine. I think OP and forum rules have a say in that, but whatever the conclusion is, it should be applicable to everyone.

It’s fine to set boundaries or challenge a fellow forum member: don’t cross another person’s boundary by insulting them personally.

I think both Karlok and Advie are a boon to the forum, so I hope we can leave this stuff be and just discuss things we actually like to talk about.

meteor - 23 May 2022 11:42 AM

I don’t want parts of my memory to be erased. I want devs to earn their money the hard way. Memories aren’t isolated either, they have an influence on the whole brain. Old games won’t feel the same if you experience them nowadays only. But if i had to choose, I would go for more up to date VR games due to hopefully less harm and a lack of great content. To name a few: Shadow Point, Time Stall, Red Matter, Floor Plan 2, Trover Saves the Universe and so on. Don’t dare to touch my wild and sexy Sam & Max - This Time It’s Virtual! experiences.

I see your mind took the Dystopian route as well. Can you imagine the horror of experiencing something new and then, through some unconnected event, like the smell of a certain type of coffee, something snaps and a fragmented string of recollections and associations starts burrowing a way through your brain? The novelty of your experience is gone, but you’re brain is just sparking off: could be memories, or delusions.  You remember someone at the AG Mental Clean-up Corp asking for an addendum to your medical records - something about risk indicators in your DNA. You remember you passed the test and they gave you a magic formula. Close your eyes, ears, nose and mouth and visualize the phrase Ifnkovhgroghprm

Would you erase the VR stuff the same way you’d clean up the games you have stored on your system? That’s an interesting angle: what if your brain had a limited amount of space to store and process adventure games? Would you keep certain games around and why? Would you install and delete content if it was sub-par, or keep it as a point of reference?

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Nicely written. Somehow this sounds like acid when you’re unprotected, naked and wide open. I think it’s less about memory space than about data, interpretation, iteration and fine tuning a neural system, leading to (slightly) different results. What I ‘fear’, is, losing myself, not being me anymore. You could argue that this doesn’t need to be bad thing, also in respect to where you’re coming from.

If it were about memory space, I would try to store the information which is most valuable to me but I suspect that, like with lossy compression (in audio), you would lose precious details which can make all the difference.

The funny part is, that by participating in a thread about erasing information, I’ve learned something about Sierra.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am really sorry to call anyone any kinda name, its not i want to, and don’t get any kick out of it either; some ppl can be ‘civil’ in their feud, and keep stinging like a scorpion without anyone being able to point the finger at them, and some would rather cut the chase, I wish I could have been the former.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 24 May 2022 06:27 AM

i am really sorry to call anyone any kinda name, its not i want to, and don’t get any kick out of it either; some ppl can be ‘civil’ in their feud, and keep stinging like a scorpion without anyone being able to point the finger at them, and some would rather cut the chase, I wish I could have been the former.

For Pete’s sake. My posts about the pronunciation of Van Dijk and De Bruyne had nothing to do with you whatsoever, you just mentioned them. I didn’t “sting” you in any way. I said I didn’t understand what you meant, which is the truth. You should know by now that I have often problems understanding your posts because over the years I’ve said it many many times.

This is getting very tiresome even though I hardly ever respond to you nowadays. I don’t want to read your posts anymore. You can join the others in my ice cellar.

PLOINK!

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I will give Outer Wilds a go soon I guess. Bought it months ago but karlok’s initial post piqued my interest to new heights. “most satisfying ending EVER” hmmm….we shall see.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Origami - 24 May 2022 05:20 PM

I will give Outer Wilds a go soon I guess. Bought it months ago but karlok’s initial post piqued my interest to new heights. “most satisfying ending EVER” hmmm….we shall see.

Last time I heard that recommendation I almost joined a cult. Gasp

@advie: water under the bridge! It doesn’t always have to be like a hippie commune over here, but things get complicated when the torches come out and friction threatens to turn into a flame war. We have to prevent that: the isolation in these walls is basically old newspapers and we have some sprinklers installed, but I don’t think anyone knows if they’re actually connected to anything.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top