• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #69: The Dig

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

coasting.

Oh you mean in-game? I still have two sealed doors and one tram button that doesn’t seem to work. I just found a couple of rods. One is blue. I picked up the other one in the scene I’m at right now, which has one of the puzzles that have been discussed by Jdawg, TimovieMan and Colpet. I haven’t solved it yet.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I will be getting back to the game on Friday (I hope). It’s been a very busy week.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

After reading some of the spoilers here i managed to attach the lens on the light machine.

I have found the turtle that you are talking about and i understood what i have to do. I think i have to recreate the skeleton compared to the close fossil. I ll try today but i am not fond of that kind of puzzles.

I havent found yet the rat you are talking about.

Basically i ran around trying every item on everything without success then after an hour i find out a new place to click that moves the story. I like the game so far from what i have seen but i cant really say that is close to the best games from lucasarts.

Total Posts: 1689

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Nico2021 - 23 December 2021 07:05 AM

After reading some of the spoilers here i managed to attach the lens on the light machine.

I have found the turtle that you are talking about and i understood what i have to do. I think i have to recreate the skeleton compared to the close fossil. I ll try today but i am not fond of that kind of puzzles.

I havent found yet the rat you are talking about.

Basically i ran around trying every item on everything without success then after an hour i find out a new place to click that moves the story. I like the game so far from what i have seen but i cant really say that is close to the best games from lucasarts.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’m guessing the scene you missed was the Waterfront where the monster actually comes out and eats the turtle. The game could have been a little more obvious that there was an extra screen to the right

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Nah i didnt miss it. At first i didnt understand i could move the loose bones. After i realized i can do that, everything fell into place because of the fossil nearby. I took a picture with my phone of the fossil and managed to recreate it with some trial and error in about 10 min. Then did it 3 more times because i thought the monster would get fed up and leave. When that didnt happen i just tried all items on the turtle and the canister worked, which i hadnt realized that was explosive.

After that i got to rat puzzle, where i created the trap with a little trial and error. It helped a lot a spoiler that everything i needed was there.

Now i have opened all doors and i have 3 plates, missing one, which i guess that is at the map room where i am atm. Also havent managed to activate the light bridges yet. Finally i try to make sense of the 3 sliding crystals.

I really enjoyed those puzzles btw, even if its annoying me a little that the way you control the machines is cryptic and you have to find out by trying stuff.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Nico2021 - 23 December 2021 04:39 PM

Nah i didnt miss it. At first i didnt understand i could move the loose bones. After i realized i can do that, everything fell into place because of the fossil nearby. I took a picture with my phone of the fossil and managed to recreate it with some trial and error in about 10 min. Then did it 3 more times because i thought the monster would get fed up and leave. When that didnt happen i just tried all items on the turtle and the canister worked, which i hadnt realized that was explosive.

After that i got to rat puzzle, where i created the trap with a little trial and error. It helped a lot a spoiler that everything i needed was there.

Now i have opened all doors and i have 3 plates, missing one, which i guess that is at the map room where i am atm. Also havent managed to activate the light bridges yet. Finally i try to make sense of the 3 sliding crystals.

I really enjoyed those puzzles btw, even if its annoying me a little that the way you control the machines is cryptic and you have to find out by trying stuff.

Here is a hint with the light bridges. some of them are fine, but you have to hold the button down, not just press it.
The others you have to fix

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Nico2021 - 23 December 2021 04:39 PM

The only real hint is the display in the museum. The display itself isn’t all that obvious (none of them are, imo), but Boston says that “that canister sure packs a punch”.
I solved it by trying everything on everything too when I first played the game. Grin

Jdawg445 - 23 December 2021 04:53 PM

Here is a hint with the light bridges. some of them are fine, but you have to hold the button down, not just press it.
The others you have to fix

That stumped me too back in the day.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2108

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished the first two chapters. To my surprise, I didn’t get stuck on anything, all puzzles required only a bit of patience. Solved the turtle puzzle on the first try (and I forgot to save before reviving it - good thing I remembered to place a bomb inside). The only trouble I had with getting the lens is mastering the controls - from then on it was easy to program (I had a lot of trouble with it on my first play too). I also had to learn how to use the air bridges again, but solving them was easy and fun.

In fact I enjoyed all puzzles so far, a very good balance between inventory and logic challenges. The game stays true to its name and makes sure you use you trusty shovel whenever possible, that’s the spirit! My only gripes were those codes you have to enter to open doors and then - to see maps, it’s tedious clicking through them. There are also too few hot spots, sometimes you pass through a number of completely empty screens which is ok for Myst, but not very typical for LucasArts.

Of course, the art in the game is gorgeous, makes up for a very atmospheric journey, and the low-res pixel animation is some of the best out there. I really like how the characters change poses depending on the topic they are discussing, how Boston helps Brink to get out of the hole or jumps/falls into the water. The 3D-animated sea beast looks way inferior in comparison. All that gives The Dig a very “cozy” feel.

As for the writing, I admit I don’t like Brink or Maggie all that much. The first gets really irritating with his gemstone obsession, talking with him becomes completely pointless, while Maggie is kinda ignorant about Brink and everything that happens around. We lost a team member, two people are left alone on a dangerous alien planet? Whatever, I’m off to wander around, don’t follow and don’t speak to me unless you have to Neutral It feels like Boston is the only one who cares about his mates and the whole situation. Then again, it’s pretty much what a space thriller movie would’ve looked like, and The Dig is very good at following movie tropes.

Btw speaking of Terminator 2 references, I noticed only one so far: Boston asks Maggie “Have you seen this boy?” after the resurrected Brink runs away, she answers “What?”, and Boston is like “Oh, nothing” Smile Not sure how big it is, but funny it was.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I m at the stopping point after playing for many hours today and having some help with spoilers by you.

It was a great chapter. I liked a lot the puzzles and the atmosphere. Somehow solving the puzzles even with some trial and error felt very satisfying. The puzzles arent super hard but also they arent easy but they are logical. Ofcourse finding how all those machines operate without help is pretty challenging.

I think the reviewer was harsh giving just 3 stars on this game. From what i have seen so far for me this is at least a 4 star game (very good).

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Nico2021 - 24 December 2021 05:01 PM

I m at the stopping point after playing for many hours today and having some help with spoilers by you.

It was a great chapter. I liked a lot the puzzles and the atmosphere. Somehow solving the puzzles even with some trial and error felt very satisfying. The puzzles arent super hard but also they arent easy but they are logical. Ofcourse finding how all those machines operate without help is pretty challenging.

I think the reviewer was harsh giving just 3 stars on this game. From what i have seen so far for me this is at least a 4 star game (very good).

Im thrilled you are enjoying it did you get all the Light Bridges on? I also agree that at least with the simple interface it makes the challenging puzzles a little less obtuse to solve.

Total Posts: 5621

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m woefully behind right now because of a lack of playing time, but I will be able to relax tomorrow and dig into it. Smile

I don’t really rise and shine.  I caffeinate and hope for the best.

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 24 December 2021 05:24 PM

Im thrilled you are enjoying it did you get all the Light Bridges on? I also agree that at least with the simple interface it makes the challenging puzzles a little less obtuse to solve.

I activated 4 of 5. But i have been only to 4 pillars - doors. I guess last one is behind the door with the 4 plates, and i have only 3 atm, or not?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Nico2021 - 24 December 2021 06:49 PM
Jdawg445 - 24 December 2021 05:24 PM

I activated 4 of 5. But i have been only to 4 pillars - doors. I guess last one is behind the door with the 4 plates, and i have only 3 atm, or not?

Yes u dont have the last plate yet

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Doom - 24 December 2021 10:06 AM

Btw speaking of Terminator 2 references, I noticed only one so far: Boston asks Maggie “Have you seen this boy?” after the resurrected Brink runs away, she answers “What?”, and Boston is like “Oh, nothing” Smile Not sure how big it is, but funny it was.

That’s the big T2 reference in this section of the game.

Well, actually it’s a Wayne’s World reference since he never literally says the line “Have you seen this boy?” in T2… Tongue

The other reference was already accessible from the start: use the magnifying glass on your communicator a couple of times. Boston will state it’s the T-1000 model… Grin

Lady Kestrel - 24 December 2021 05:36 PM

I will be able to relax tomorrow and dig into it. Smile

*snicker*

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Who has reached the stopping point, and who hasn’t?

If you haven’t, how far into the game are you?
If you’re stuck at some point, please don’t hesitate to ask for a hint!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top