• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gone Home

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

fov - 16 August 2013 06:42 PM

Personally, I’d love see “interactive narrative” as its own sub-genre.

I do too.  I think that would solve some issues people are having.  Thankfully this subject is not as explosive as when Myst appeared on the scene and the heated debates raged on and on if it should be classified as an Adventure Game or not.

I’ll will play this soon.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Great review, Emily!

I thought this game was lovely. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about it so I was pleasantly surprised by some of the subject matter it tackles and the smart, subtle way it’s handled. It’s as thrilling a mystery as in any other adventure game and yet all of its stunning revelations are based in character and hidden amongst the boring minutiae of an average home. It’s a remarkable achievement that a game which consists of nothing but slow, methodical exploration could be so funny, romantic, tense and poignant.

The Walking Dead topped many best-of lists last year and I’ll be curious to see if Gone Home manages to beat its record. I have a feeling it might.

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

I played through this last night, and really enjoyed it. I’m noticing I missed even more than I thought after looking through this thread! Particularly for Oscar’s story, I only found small things about him and hadn’t figured out the safe combo.

I was also really nervous about that last room, although by then, I knew it would be a totally unforeshadowed twist if Sam and /or Lonnie had committed suicide to avoid living without each other. I also was a teen around this time, so it took me back to that 16-year-old mindset of first love, fervor, and idealism. But the whole walking around a totally empty house thing made me unable to quite shake the idea that something was going to jump out at me, since this kind first person POV, dark house scenario is usually like that. Which for me, kind of took away from being able to immerse into the story more. That’s not this game’s fault, though.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it, and I hope to go back to dig up more on the side storylines. Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

orient - 16 August 2013 09:51 PM

To me it felt like a decent story superbly told, not a superb story in itself.

Couldn’t agree more.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Yeah, I really like this one and I think the setup is very strong. My dad loved collecting and decorating the home with all sorts of photos and bric-a-brac as I was growing up and today I get a real kick going over to my parent’s house and just wandering about and soaking in the detail like I’m in a museum. So, browsing through the Greenbriar’s most intimate details was really engaging for me even without the added hook of the “where did everyone go?” mystery.

And the great thing about Gone Home is I feel like I have some autonomy in uncovering the details of this world. I’m not being spoonfed a story, I’m putting pieces of information together to create those powerful revelatory moments. This is a good direction for games to head in.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

I finished it as well a few days ago, and found it to be a marvelous little gem. The actual story might not be all that imaginative, but in Gone Home, it’s all about the presentation of that story, which is masterfully done. The voice acting alone is incredible.

Have you seen the hilarious user reviews of Gone Home on metacritic? Apparently, what we’ve played is “not a game”, which is why it clearly deserves a 0 out of 10. Also, there’s no multiplayer.

Yet my favorite is this:

WARNING! NOT FOR GUYS. This isn’t a game. This is an interactive book for chicks.

Jesus.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I confess, I’m a chick. Though actually, I’m a dude. I’m a chickdude?

I had no idea there are books that allow you to explore a fully rendered 3D virtual space. Huh. Must have missed those…

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

I’ll just add that as another reason I dislike metacritic.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

A lot of gamers feel threatened when something that deviates from the mainstream big budget combat games amasses praise from game review websites. However, there are so many commercial possibilities with implementing the environmental storytelling in Gone.Home to other games (and it has already been.done before. In games like Portal, Bioshock and Falllout New Vegas).

Imagine a detective game where you could search a crime scene with this much autonomy. Wouldn’t that be so much better than what we got with LA Noire? There’s no need to hate.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

thejobloshow - 20 August 2013 05:00 PM

A lot of gamers feel threatened when something that deviates from the mainstream big budget combat games amasses praise from game review websites.

Kind of like how a lot of adventure gamers feel threatened when a game like Heavy Rain or The Walking Dead gets a lot of mainstream attention. Tongue Those Metacritic posts are funny though… so many of them just sound so angry. As if all these reviewers gave the game high scores just to f*ck with them personally.

However, there are so many commercial possibilities with implementing the environmental storytelling in Gone Home to other games (and it has already been.done before. In games like Portal, Bioshock and Falllout New Vegas).

And in fact the team that made Gone Home first worked together on the Bioshock DLC Minerva’s Den. Their job on that project was to create all of the items you discover that tell the backstory—basically the same as what they did with Gone Home. They liked working on that together and wanted to do a game where that sort of gameplay was the focus rather than a secondary activity.

Imagine a detective game where you could search a crime scene with this much autonomy. Wouldn’t that be so much better than what we got with LA Noire?

That would be awesome. I’d love to see this team tackle a detective sort of game. (Steve Gaynor told me during our GDC interview that in the early stages they talked about having the protagonist be a police officer or private eye, but went with the sister instead in order to give the player more of a personal connection to the story.)

You’d need good writers to pull this off, though. That’s one of the things about Gone Home that makes it stand out… the writing is all really, really good - from the narration to the notes down to the copy on random objects you pick up around the house. Writing is often seen as not that important—for most AAA shooters etc. the writer is a freelancer who’s not involved in the whole process, not a full-time member of the team—and it’s often assumed that designers can double as writers because, c’mon, how hard is it to write something? But I think a game like Gone Home shows that there’s huge value in having *great* writers as opposed to just okay ones. I can’t think of another game where I actually wanted to read every random item and piece of paper I came across.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

It’s kind of funny that a small budget indie game like Gone Home can be such a better investigation game than a triple-A title like L.A. Noire; a game that is all about solving crimes.

Investigating in L.A. Noire consists of walking round a crime scene until your controller vibrates, then picking up an object and rotating it until your controller vibrates.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

kuze - 20 August 2013 05:24 AM

Yet my favorite is this:

WARNING! NOT FOR GUYS. This isn’t a game. This is an interactive book for chicks.

Jesus.

You know, I thought the same thing while playing it.

But, you know, I’ve never read “Flowers In The Attic” while working at a Carwash one summer when I was 21.  No sir… Books for Chicks are for chicks, and I’m all man!

Excuse me, though, I’m right in the middle of re-reading “Are you there God? It’s Me, Margaret.” Judy Blume just GETS me.

Bt

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

orient - 20 August 2013 10:14 PM

It’s kind of funny that a small budget indie game like Gone Home can be such a better investigation game than a triple-A title like L.A. Noire; a game that is all about solving crimes.

Agree. It’s also a huge punch in the face for those claiming the Mystian way of revealing plot by reading journals and letters is bad design.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I hadn’t really paid this game much mind but after seeing some of the reviews it was getting, I decided to give it a go.

This is an important case study in storytelling in games. Its story probably wouldn’t have the same impact if it was just told in a linear fashion, but through the prism of this mystery exploration framework you come to gradually care about the characters and worry about them.

I kept waiting for them to blow it and go off the rails into videogame-land like games always do (I’m looking at you, Indigo Prophecy), but the last thing I expected was to find a story that was utterly human and actually touching. I teared up a little at the end, I admit it.

It’s true, it isn’t much of a “game” per se. There’s no action, not much in the way of puzzles, and relatively forgiving if you miss things (I see not everyone got into the safe or the file cabinet). But to say that this “should have been a book” or something instead is foolish, because I think it’s only effective because of the way in which it’s told.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, it does make you consider the notion of the word “game”.  People have come to expect certain things from games, and video games - I think two basic functions are “entertainment value - am I enjoying this?” and “interactivity - am I involved in this?”  I think this certainly meets those two criteria.

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top