• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Retro game reviews

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

maybe in his bedroom luxury, it would, Doom

Total Posts: 2111

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 25 April 2022 03:33 PM

maybe in his bedroom luxury, it would, Doom

This certainly was a big advantage, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the forums regulars moved from arcade machines to adventure gaming because they could enjoy playing them in peace. I’m just not sure this sort of graphics was considered all that good even back then.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 25 April 2022 04:43 PM

I’m just not sure this sort of graphics was considered all that good even back then.

of course not, but only the intelligent kids like us gotten drawn into the content of adventure gaming on IBMs or PCs, rather the regular MSXs then

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I imagine there was always the awe of computers can do that?? before the huge leaps in computer technology made crazy advanced systems available at home.

I think you can create something good, or even great, within most limitations. The trick is to accept and understand the limits and figure out ways to use suggestion to create atmosphere and push certain buttons in the brain. The tendency to look for and even create patterns, for example, is very powerful and can provide mental stimulation, which gives a player a subconscious engagement with the game. Nowadays it’s all about immersion, which to me seems to be used as a euphemism for a constant stream of audiovisual information that demands a lot of attention.

You can do a lot with a little. You can’t do everything with pretty much nothing, that much is true, but more ≠  better. It’s not worse, either, just requires a different approach.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vegetable Party - 25 April 2022 05:55 PM

I imagine there was always the awe of computers can do that?? before the huge leaps in computer technology made crazy advanced systems available at home.

I joined the Heath company as a copywriter in 1973 or thereabouts. (Heath was the parent company of Heathkit, the build it yourself electronics company.) I think it was 1974 when we introduced a line of kit computers. Storage was a cassette tape. A monitor was whatever you could plug into that would work. There was a Star Trek game that was played entirely using a numeric keypad. There was a “Wack-A-Mole” style game that was based on hitting the correct key to “beat” the flashing-light display on the computer’s front panel. And people were amazed at what fun could be had.

And it took a good ten years or so to arrive at Roberta’s stick-figure game. So, forget about how bad it was. Think how great it must have seemed to early adopters. Wow! Graphics!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Very cool. Smile

I googled the Heathkit, quite a machine.

Seeing the potential in personal computers, Zenith Radio Company bought Heath Company from Schlumberger in 1979 for $63 million, renaming the computer division Zenith Data Systems (ZDS). Zenith purchased Heath for the flexible assembly line infrastructure at the nearby St. Joseph facility as well as the R&D assets.
Heath/Zenith was in the vanguard of companies to start selling personal computers to small businesses.

63 million dollars in ‘79. Now that’s a dazzling number.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m old enough to remember how amazed I was by the graphics of many Amstrad CPC 464 games. I also remember how amazed I was when I saw 16 colours EGA graphics on a PC the first time and was a bit bummed afterwards when I saw that computers like Amiga could show better colours on games that were either CGA or EGA on a PC. I also remember the first time we got an AdLib sound card. It was amazing to hear the computer produce other kinds of sounds than just high pitched beeps.

Actually, when I come to think of it, in order to be as fair as possible for these very old games, it could be good to go through all the different platforms they were made for. Or at least the ones that have the most difference. Some might have better graphics, some better sounds. And I still wouldn’t give them a score, I would just let people make their own minds about it and note if I personally think it has aged well or not, which is already something I point out for the older games I write of.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vegetable Party - 26 April 2022 05:07 AM

63 million dollars in ‘79. Now that’s a dazzling number.

I was gone by 1979. But still kept track of the company. $63M was a bargain. In addition to small businesses, ZDS also had contracts to supply computers to the Navy and Air Force. Zenith should have split it off as a separate company. It might have turned into what Dell is today. But Zenith didn’t do that. So when Zenith collapsed because they couldn’t, or some say wouldn’t, adapt their consumer electronics business to the globalized marketplace, they took the computer business down with it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

tomimt - 26 April 2022 09:13 AM

I still wouldn’t give them a score, I would just let people make their own minds about it

Agreed! More or less what I tried to say, no final note Grin
There’s already the Verdict and the Good and Bad, it’s enough for a retro review imho.

Another thing that should be taken into account too, is that many retro/pixel games were created on and for CRT monitors, and the render of the graphics was very different than on a LCD screen. On LCD we see every pixel perfectly and it’s not always beautiful. On CRT it was blurred, scanlined and almost like smoothed, and I remember for example that Super Nes games like Donkey Kong Country were awesome in the past, and they look disgusting on LCD (not just because it’s old today).

For a concrete example, a prerendered view from Final Fantasy VII PS1:

https://images.frandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/final-fantasy-vii-pixels-crt-vs-lcd-scaled.jpg 

(sorry I had to put the link that way or the picture was included in the post but way too large)

The CRT on the left is emulated so it’s not a real comparison, but it helps to remember how it was making old games look better than they actually are (we see less the pixels, it smoothes the aliasing, hides the bad gradients due to a low color palette, there is more contrast, etc).

If for most of you it seems important to write about the graphics in a retro review, then can I suggest to AG to make their own screenshots on a CRT monitor as much as possible, and judge the result in these conditions? I know that almost everyone today will play the retro games on a LCD but, well, it’s not normal Crazy

Update:
I think this example would talk better to everyone here Wink

https://digilander.libero.it/venturi1975/vgascart/monkey2_HI.jpg 

Update 2:
Ah how I miss that CRT era Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Having played this game before a year i also rated it with 2 stars as underwhelming.

The thing is that if you try to play this game today for the first time is a very frustrating experience. It is also a proof how much adventures have improved and things we consider mandatory now werent back then.

Of course someone would say that you cant review games that are 40 years old with today standards. That is true but that doesnt mean that there arent many old adventures that are quite an enjoyable experience even with all limitations. Personally having played a couple of those old adventures i did like most of the infocom text adventures. Also kings quest series is fun if you use a walkthrough ofcourse and it shows the progress from first sierra games mystery house etc.

Anyway a review is a lot more than its rating and its very interesting to read about how the reviewer finds the game today and if you have played it, i think the review is on spot. Also, playing those old games is more about history and see how adventures have evolved and is not about enjoying them that much or try to finish them without help which is impossible (they had to sell those hint books).

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Another of Sierra’s early games, The Dark Crystal, a game based on the movie of the same name written by Jim Henson was reviewed unfavorably.

I’m not sure Jack was still actively involved when these reviews were cleared for publication. But it doesn’t seem like something, i.e. basing a review on an inaccurate comparison that won’t hold up to scrutiny, that he would be OK with.

I think the general consensus was that AG has every right to review a game. But the game should be reviewed on its own merits, And if comparisons are made, they should be made against games produced in the same general time frame. Not against games or remakes of games that were made with technology that was unavailable to the original developer.

I also think the general consensus was that these games should not be rated. Or, if rated, they should be rated on a different standard than the one reviewers us to rate current games.

It’s a cheap shot to downgrade a game because of lousy sound, (As was done in this review,) when that sound was the only sound the developer had. And then use today’s rating scheme where developers can create orchestral-quality scores as a reason for a one-star rating. 

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you got me worried, man, i don’t know who is chief of staff now, maybe Dale?, i don’t have an idea! but however we just gotta take it easy, no one can fill in for Jack, no one!, but they can at least follow (or really TRY) his standards

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

CaliMonk is now Editor in Chief, in addition to Site Owner. I don’t have, and never have had, any involvement in the site’s articles (well, beyond Aggie input).

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Immortals of Aveum, Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2, Lies of P, Harold Halibut, Another Crab’s Treasure, Botany Manor
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum. Broken Sword: Reforged CE

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i can do the Aggies if it is bothering you, Sorry, really! couldn’t help it Smile

Total Posts: 725

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ve been conflicted on how to best review older games myself, these flashback reviews are good to be done but giving a rating to something that is clearly dated is a challenge.

I do believe these types of ‘flashback reviews’ call for a different format and I’m thinking of how to best do that, also talking with the folks reviewing these titles obviously. The rating itself is accurate, as however has been pointed out the circumstances of today make it that this needs to be seen in a certain light.

Either way, more on that soon, I agree with the general sentiment that we need a better way to reflect this. These games don’t hold up to todays standards (so that’s true) it’s just not entirely accurate to hold them against todays standards either.

Just for clarity sake, these reviews were already ready to go before I took on this role. Irrespective of that, I’m not Jack nor will I ever become him, I have my own perspective on things. Different styles, each unique and with its own set of pro/cons. These reviews coincidentally weren’t a result of my different thinking.

Ivo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top