• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thoughts on Graphic Styles

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Blackthorne - 22 July 2015 02:17 PM

It’s an aesthetic and artistic choice at this point, because we live in a point in time where we can choose to do things the way we like them.  Some may like it, others may not.  In the end, it’s the developer’s choice to create it and it’s the gamer’s choice if they want to buy and play it.  It’s not a hard conceit to comprehend. Bt

We now have two sides of the story represented. The first being that the designers had no choice because the engine they were using offered no alternative but to put out a product with pixilated graphics. That, I could moderately accept as a rationale even if the delivered product was less than, to me, pleasurable.

But, as pointed out by others, that may not be the case at all. The specific engine in question is capable of far more detail than is shown in the games that have used it. So apparently this is not an economic issue, but something else entirely.

Some have pointed to lack of ambition. Others have gone so far as to suggest laziness.

I prefer to look at Blackthorne’s above quote. He thinks it’s aesthetics. And I agree with him.

But if designers think that producing a 2015 game that has graphics that would have been marginally pleasing to Sierra fans in the early 1990s, they are deluding themselves.

But this also misses the point. In my initial post I not only questioned the Why of this type of game design, but also the reviewer’s apparent opinion that “retro” was a design choice that should be applauded.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

rtrooney - 21 July 2015 07:55 PM

But the one thing that did grab my attention was the opening line of the Good values.

“Looks outstanding with detailed, colorful retro-styled graphics throughout.”

Personally, I’m getting really tired of games produced in 2015 that try to look like games produced in 1993.

That caught my attention also, but for a different reason.
Like others I can appreciate well done graphics in any resolution and style.Even if it’s not my taste I can still admire the craftsmanship.
This game looks not terrible but definitely amateurish and personally I’m getting really tired of games using “retro-styled” graphics as an excuse for mediocre art.
The pixels were a decision, the lack in craftsmanship was not.

Art is always subjective to a degree and we can look at the screenshots ourselves but praising a game like that for “outstanding” graphics makes any praise ultimately meaningless.

A good article pointing out the difference between quality and style and also talking about some of the other issues discussed here:

http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/

Style can’t be good or bad aside from personal taste or when it gets in the way of gameplay. But the quality of the art in a game can be objectively bad.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Kurufinwe - 22 July 2015 06:23 AM

I was going to say something about the matter—and then I realised that I’ve already said it three years ago.

I’ll just say it for you. Here is your statement from three years ago:

If it’s done well (what I’ve seen of Resonance looks good; Gemini Rue often didn’t), and it allows small developers to make good games on a small budget – games that wouldn’t get made otherwise – then I think it’s great and I’m all for it.

But then there’s a small cult that will defend this style to the death and say it’s better than anything that came afterwards. I completely disagree with that: the whole idea of pixel art as the pinnacle of human creativity is ridiculous. Obviously, what these people really mean is “my childhood was the pinnacle of my life” – and that’s just sad.

Unfortunately, my memory of specific statements made in specific three-year-old threads is somewhat shaky. But, your statements made then were on point to today’s conversation.

But maybe it was time for the issue to be revisited.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The argument about small teams unable to use HD is a mute point. There’s been plenty of small teams that have done that very thing.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Tad - 23 July 2015 04:01 AM

The argument about small teams unable to use HD is a mute point. There’s been plenty of small teams that have done that very thing.

Well, I don’t think it ever really is about not being able to, but about choosing strategically, which usually goes the “less work” route, and by that I don’t mean the devs are lazy - they’re probably working within constraints such as funding running out, deadlines, etc.

I do agree you can’t really lump in, say, Alum with Technobabylon. It isn’t in the resolution, it’s in the artist, and Ben Chandler is a beast when it comes to pixelly stuff.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

@kuru - Hah! That will teach me to throw something together quickly! Yes, you’re quite right, it is upscaled 320.

Otherwise I agree with those who have said that it depends entirely on how well done the art is. “Retro/Pixel” art is definitely not a problem for me, but neither is it a guarantee I will like it or even a preferred style. If it’s done well (in any style) then I’m all for it.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Mr Underhill - 23 July 2015 04:19 AM
Tad - 23 July 2015 04:01 AM

Well, I don’t think it ever really is about not being able to, but about choosing strategically, which usually goes the “less work” route, and by that I don’t mean the devs are lazy - they’re probably working within constraints such as funding running out, deadlines, etc.

I do agree you can’t really lump in, say, Alum with Technobabylon. It isn’t in the resolution, it’s in the artist, and Ben Chandler is a beast when it comes to pixelly stuff.

The problem with that though is we’re assuming there is a budget, deadline etc. A lot of these games (as shown in an article about wedjet eye) don’t make that much money really. Not enough to really live off it anyway, resulting in these games becoming just a hobby.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

rtrooney - You’re not the only one who is sick and tired of retro looking games. Do people really want to play pixelated stuff for the rest of their lives? Where is the progress? This is 2015 not 1995.

K4PTURE

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The problem with that though is we’re assuming there is a budget, deadline etc. A lot of these games (as shown in an article about wedjet eye) don’t make that much money really. Not enough to really live off it anyway, resulting in these games becoming just a hobby.

So very true, You have to sell a fairly good amount of games to do this for a good living and many indies are just hobby games.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

rtrooney - 21 July 2015 07:55 PM

The latest game review on AG is for a game called Alum. I know nothing about the game. Don’t really care to. But the one thing that did grab my attention was the opening line of the Good values.

“Looks outstanding with detailed, colorful retro-styled graphics throughout.”

Personally, I’m getting really tired of games produced in 2015 that try to look like games produced in 1993. What is the point of that?

I don’t see it when a fangame is updated, a la KQ. In those games the objective is to bring the game into the modern age. I’ll even give credit to LSL1 Reloaded for taking on that task.

But why, for heaven’s sake would you want to design a game that looks like something your grandfather might have played? It just baffles me. More than that, it almost guarantees that this will not be a game on my “Buy” list.

For smaller indie projects with limited resources, embracing a more limited style can often be a good way for covering up a lack of resources or skills. This isn’t just limited to retro stuff either. Introversion Software made their bones by making games with very stark graphical styles and they pulled it off well, but it was kind of a choice of necessity.

It’s often better to pull off a more limited style really well than it is to execute a more ambitious style poorly. In the case of retro, it’s also about evoking a specific period, which can make sense depending on the project. Usually with adventures its more the former, but sometimes (e.g. Thimbleweed Park) it’s the latter.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Retro is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Bt

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Retro is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Most definitely. We vote with our dollars. I love retro style games and buy them.

I don’t care that much for 1st Person puzzle games like Rhem, so I don’t buy them.

Also, when I buy small indie games done by one person in their bedroom, I can be quite forgiving in terms of graphics.

Shifty Eyed

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Allow me to play the devil’s advocate and say I much prefer this to most HD stuff out there Grin ...but that’s the Purcell / Chan magic at work Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Oh man. Sam& Max looked that good?
I should replay it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll go against my statement that I dislike 20th century retros in a 21st century world by saying that one of my favorite games in the last 10 years is To the Moon. Which is one of the most highly pixilated games I’ve ever seen. So I will agree that there are exceptions. But they are so few and far between that I don’t even consider them for the purposes of this conversation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top