• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

“Dead Synchronicity” - now on Kickstarter! Demo available!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

To someone who has played this - how scary is it exactly? I’ve seen comparisons to I Have No Mouth… is that fair? Is it supernatural horror or a more realistic kind?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 18 March 2016 06:38 AM

To someone who has played this - how scary is it exactly? I’ve seen comparisons to I Have No Mouth… is that fair? Is it supernatural horror or a more realistic kind?

I wouldn’t describe it as a horror game at all!

It just happens to have some explicit graphics, but that has more to do with the fact that it takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, with concentration camps and everything.

If you want to compare it to something, then I would say that the closest equivalent is Shardlight. It has a different graphic style and there is also some supernatural elements, but otherwise I would say that they are very similar both in story and theme.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

That sounds promising. I didn’t find Shardlight psychologically disturbing at all. What exactly are the supernatural elements? (You can put in spoilers)

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Unlike Shardlight where the apocalypse is caused by war, then it is caused by some mystical singularity / time event called the great wave. The main protagonist will occasional have vision both of the past but also of the future and will eventually learn to rewind time.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 18 March 2016 07:05 AM

That sounds promising. I didn’t find Shardlight psychologically disturbing at all. What exactly are the supernatural elements? (You can put in spoilers)

excuse me Izno, but hey Oscar, i haven’t played Shardlight yet to spare comparison here, but about Dead Synchronicity i can say its only disturbing (horror) by the same idea of reading a horror novel!, not the kind of Amnesia/Visual-horror!
i think this could be how best describing its horror impact over me/player, and maybe just to be fully satisfied about this description, i need to tell you (since) it has few moments of death (therefore) the adventure hold up for creating some deep thrilling intense mode.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

To someone who has played this - how scary is it exactly?

It is not scary, it’s not horror. But it is dark, violent and depressing. Usually such themes are not for me, but I really liked Dead Synchronicity - one of the better gaming experiences from last year for me. Got to warn about ending - if I’d known about such non-ending, I would have waited until part 2 comes out.

Imho comparison with Shardlight is not so spot on. While I haven’t finished Shardlight yet, I see similarities. But Shardlight in a LOT lighter in tone.

Supernatural elements - maybe, but maybe sequel gives a logical, sensible explanation (at least I hope). Tongue

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I agree with lewuz: it’s dark, violent, and depressing. Just like IHNMAIMS. Very good game. I’m currently playing the much lighter Shardlight and don’t much care for it.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m really not looking for a IHNMAIMS experience. To me a lot of games/movies/TV tends to be dark and violent just for the sake of it, because it is fashionable. I now avoid those things.

Shardlight wasn’t great, but I liked the way it implied the gore and horror rather than making an exhibition of it. Sometimes there is a reason for showing that, but usually not.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

lewuz - 18 March 2016 07:30 AM

Imho comparison with Shardlight is not so spot on. While I haven’t finished Shardlight yet, I see similarities. But Shardlight in a LOT lighter in tone.

Lighter in tone, absolutely, but I believe that the main reason for this is the different graphic styles, and in the reactions of the protagonist where Amy is much more happy-go-lucky. But if you for example count the number of dead bodies we see, then there are roughly the same amount, and there are many similarities in the stories like Green Lung / The Dissolve, oppressive regimes, preachers trying to find meaning with what has happened etc.

Edit: And there is actually far more violence in Shardlight than there is in Dead Synchronicity.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I would put it in the realism catagory (supernatural things are occurring but it’s not the focus). And it has moments of shock-scare, not over-used.
The thing that’s fair to note about this game: the story does not conclude. Not even kind of. It’s like they had a lot more planned but abruptly rolled credits because they ran out of money/time. Granted, that is not to say this game is short, it’s a full 8-10 hour experience and it’s very good. But the outcome of this story 100% relies on a sequel that we have no word whether it will be developed.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

I agree with other posters that the game is not anywhere near as disturbing as IHNMAIMS, and wouldn’t call it a horror game. It is very atmospheric with that nice graphical style and storywise very interesting. I hope that they are already working on a sequel because the game ended with a cliffhanger that promises an intersting continuation of the story.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

El Manny - 18 March 2016 02:34 PM

I agree with other posters that the game is not anywhere near as disturbing as IHNMAIMS,

I was the exception. But I’ll add that IHNMAIMS is cruel and sadistic, where DS is merely dark and depressing. I still think DS is closer to IHNMAIMS than to Shardlight, both in atmosphere and quality.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 18 March 2016 03:16 PM
El Manny - 18 March 2016 02:34 PM

I agree with other posters that the game is not anywhere near as disturbing as IHNMAIMS,

I was the exception. But I’ll add that IHNMAIMS is cruel and sadistic, where DS is merely dark and depressing. I still think DS is closer to IHNMAIMS than to Shardlight, both in atmosphere and quality.

Totally agre, game is much more close to IHNMAIMS, the depressing atmosphere is pretty close and that puzzle thet involved disfuring the face of the pastor was pretty sadistic. The soundtrack also helped creating the uncomfortable mood
Shardlight was pretty tame compared to it

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

The short prequel can be downloaded separately from here: http://www.deadsynchronicity.com/en/the-longest-night.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top