You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Uncharted and other forms of the 'contemporary' adventure game experience

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Give me your PS3 and i'll gladly play them
You don't know someone whose PS3 you can borrow to play these games?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #22

I played some Tomb Raider Underworld recently and I would argue that it still does exploration better than this game. The path in Uncharted is too obviously telegraphed to be a mystery, and it's not really exploration if you already know where you're going...

Not that Tomb Raider is particularly open or non-linear, but you do have to think more about how to get from A to B. This was true of Sands of Time as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #23
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
I played some Tomb Raider Underworld recently and I would argue that it still does exploration better than this game. The path in Uncharted is too obviously telegraphed to be a mystery, and it's not really exploration if you already know where you're going...
I think Uncharted is not concerned with "sandbox" exploration, much in the same way the Half-Life games are not concerned and look at all the Game Of The Year awards it merited. Of course the path is obviously telegraphed! That's part of the design, lol.

Quote:
Not that Tomb Raider is particularly open or non-linear, but you do have to think more about how to get from A to B. This was true of Sands of Time as well.
Yeah, actually had to think, too in Uncharted, LOL. I had perhaps a few moments in Uncharted where I wasn't entirely sure where to go. However, I also had a few moments in the Tomb Raider games where I didn't know where to go, either. Besides, the Uncharted games feature an optional hint system.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-27-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
Homer of Kittens

I'm glad you are enjoying the Uncharted games Trepsie. They are the best of what the PS3 has to offer.

Firefox rules
Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #25
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
I'm glad you are enjoying the Uncharted games Trepsie. They are the best of what the PS3 has to offer.
I'm way too impatient to wait for Uncharted 3!

Lump Heavy Rain among the PS3's best, too.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #26
merely human

Elena Fisher (left), and Chloe Frazer.

"Elena Fisher. Last year's model."

Just wanted to feature the women of Uncharted. These are two of most amazing female characters I've ever encountered in games. Kudos to the writers, director, and voice actresses (Emily Rose, Claudia Black) who came together to bring them to stunning life!

Each character brings her own individual intelligence, strength, resourcefulness, wit, charm, competence, and even vulnerability to complement Nathan's own. And each woman deserves her own spin-off action adventure game. How about it, Naughty Dog? Uncharted: Elena's Fortune, and Uncharted: Among Chloe? LOL!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #27

Contemporary adventure/action-adventure is one of my favorite genres. I enjoyed Tomb Raider Underworld quite a bit (haven't completed it though). The exploration is very good, as well a most of the puzzles. The story and combat not so much, but still - combat fits this type of game quite well.

Other games I've enjoyed (haven't completed all of them): ICO, Metal Gear Solid 1-3 (maybe slighty out of category), Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex 1 and 2 and Half-Life.

For upcoming action-adventures I look forward to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (it has a nice Beyond Good & Evil vibe to it), The Last Guardian, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Epic Mickey and L.A. Noire, among other games.

Gameplay videos and screenshots of Enslaved:
http://gamersyde.com/game_1939_en.html

EDIT: Just saw that the topic is about 21st century games, some of the games above are a bit older.

Last edited by Jannik; 09-03-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #28
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Just wanted to feature the women of Uncharted. These are two of most amazing female characters I've ever encountered in games. Kudos to the writers, director, and voice actresses (Emily Rose, Claudia Black) who came together to bring them to stunning life!
Emily Rose (Elena) is now appearing in the Steven King inspired "Haven" TV show currently showing on Syfy.

Highlighting that she is not just a sexy voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqAmu75cq0
Old 09-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #29
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Emily Rose (Elena) is now appearing in the Steven King inspired "Haven" TV show currently showing on Syfy.

Highlighting that she is not just a sexy voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqAmu75cq0
Sweet!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #30

Unfortunately the show is entirely too repetitive. I really want to like the show, I like the premise, I like the cast for the most part, I like shows that give you a main arc mystery, but this show I like less and less every episode I see. It doesn't have near enough revelations about the main mystery and every episode is formulaic to the point of boredom.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #31
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
Contemporary adventure/action-adventure is one of my favorite genres. I enjoyed Tomb Raider Underworld quite a bit (haven't completed it though). The exploration is very good, as well a most of the puzzles. The story and combat not so much, but still - combat fits this type of game quite well.
Tomb Raider really deserves a lot of credit for breaking down walls and showing, back in the mid 90s, what was now possible to achieve and experience in a fast moving action game. It at once broke from tradition (running, climbing, jumping, motoring, etc.) and upheld tradition (puzzle solving).

Quote:
Other games I've enjoyed (haven't completed all of them): ICO...Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex 1...and Half-Life.
I've played these titles, too. They are all exceptional and either established new benchmarks or proved existing ones. I seriously wish I had a memory lapse over playing Deus Ex just so that I could experience it again for the first time ever, LOL! That game, its story, innovative gameplay, and its deep world was my world for a while.

Quote:
EDIT: Just saw that the topic is about 21st century games, some of the games above are a bit older.
Nah, don't worry about it. It does provide context for the awesome games coming out today.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #32

Uncharted and its sequel, especially its sequel, are amazing experiences no doubt. They're an absolute joy to play. The only problem I can bring up is, well, there's not really a single new element that Uncharted brings to the table. Sure it has amazing production values throughout but when you break it down, the game plays pretty much like any other cover based shooter. I'm not saying that's bad or anything - I suppose there's no need to introduce innovation for the sake of it - but Uncharted 2 is awesome. Probably the best game on PS3. Oh, that and Valkyria Chronicles. Now that's a cool game

As for other contempoary games, hmm, they're pretty much all been listed already. I'm trying to delve deep into my mind to find other things to add but to no avail.

Damn.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Valkyria Chronicles. Now that's a cool game
It pleases me to hear people give this game credit.
That game is one epicfest of epicness!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #34
M-E

Uncharted and especially the sequal are two very great games. Not only are the graphics the best we've seen yet, but the whole product is just so polished. Anyway, that's all been said already by others.

What I do not understand is why nobody mentions Metroid Prime as one of the great contemporary games! IMO that's one of the greatest games ever made.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #35

Simply perusing through this topic literally made me made re-play Uncharted 2 not just on my own PS3, but also on my girlfriend's brother's PS3 when we stop by his place lol! I've just finished playing it too, at home that is.

Treps, once you've finished the game, you should be able to "unlock" behind-the-scenes bonus featurettes.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #36
merely human

Quote:
Summary of #Uncharted2 - they should've given Drake a basket and an ass. You know, like real men? Looks like #breeders made this game.
- http://twitter.com/a_space_alien/status/24459367420
Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #37

I tell buddies a simple fact, if you loved Indiana Jones movies as a kid, Uncharted will undoubtedly be your favorite series....period. No need to elaborate from there, lol.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #38

I bought a PS3 specifically to play Uncharted after I watched a few Youtube videos. I was not let down. It's great! I then bought Uncharted 2, but am currently deeply mired in an overwhelming PC game backlog, so I don't know when I'll get to it.

I played the first Tomb Raider game back when it first came out in 96 I think. And while there are similarities, I tend to think of both series in completely different ways. The first Tomb Raider was lonely and claustrophobic, while Uncharted was lively, big, and bright. I tend to view games more as atmosphere rather than gameplay mechanics.

The later Tomb Raiders are adapting more of that 'big and bright' feel, so they appeal to me in much different ways than the original did. Not worse; merely different.

The original Tomb Raider will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Anybody play the updated Tomb Raider Anniversary? I bought it, but haven't tried it yet. Is it faithful to the original as far as settings and atmosphere, or did they monkey with all of that?

Anyway, no hate here. The Tomb Raiders and the Uncharteds are all "good stuff". I also enjoyed that 3rd person Indiana Jones game from several years ago (Aw crap, can't locate the game box at the moment, and can't recall the title)--it had a great grab-and-punch mechanic that never got old.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Habibula View Post
Anybody play the updated Tomb Raider Anniversary? I bought it, but haven't tried it yet. Is it faithful to the original as far as settings and atmosphere, or did they monkey with all of that?
I did, i liked it a lot and its easily (by far) the best Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider (Legend is a decent action game but a terrible TR, Underworld is ok). It did lost a bit of the classic Core Design feel (some levels are a lot more spacious and less claustrophobic), but i found it faithfull to the original, keeping in mind all the basic differences like gamplay mechanics and so on.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #40
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Habibula View Post
I've played it and it's great; it's relatively faithful. I wouldn't say it was better than the original, though. The game and levels feel shorter and easier and puzzles have either been removed or simplified.

I like the new Tomb Raiders too, but I much prefer the originals. Whether using a walkthrough or not, it always takes me ages (more than 1-3 days) to get through just one level! They're very easy to get lost in.

Quote:
I also enjoyed that 3rd person Indiana Jones game from several years ago (Aw crap, can't locate the game box at the moment, and can't recall the title)--it had a great grab-and-punch mechanic that never got old.
Me too. It's Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. Much better than the one before it - Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. That really felt like a Tomb Raider rip-off. Plus, it was buggy. In Emperor's Tomb, it actually felt like you were Indiana because of the fist fights and the iconic music that plays at the same time. I love the little touch of losing your hat during a scrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
I did, i liked it a lot and its easily (by far) the best Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider (Legend is a decent action game but a terrible TR, Underworld is ok)
Wait, what? Legend a terrible Tomb Raider? Aren't you forgetting The Angel of Darkness? That's the worst Tomb Raider game. Legend was quite an improvement in comparison.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour