You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Deus Ex: Invisible War

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #1

Default Deus Ex: Invisible War

Hey all,
looking forward to Deus Ex 3. I am trying to find out whether anyone else has a degree of love for Deus Ex: Invisible War as I do. Anyone? Or has everyone decided it is crap? Just interested because I really like it (although it must be patched). Anyone else in a similar boat or does everyone dislike it?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

I must be one of the 10 people in the world who skipped the original Deus Ex but played Invisible War...on the PC!

I can't say I thought the game was bad, in fact I had a good time with it, although it never really drew me in completely or stroke me as anything spectacular. Perhaps the fact that I was new to the Deus Ex universe weighed heavily on that and, truly, it took me some time to get acclimatized with the game world during the beginning but as soon as I was in, the game turned out to be a well-made shooter-RPG with decent mechanics and story. Still, it didn't inspire me to try the first installment at the time and I can't say I remember too much from it anymore (can't recall a single NPC, for example - oh, wait, I do remember that guy who was a fellow trainee and got heavily "modified" in the process, looking like a Quarian). However, I am keeping my eye on Human Revolution, especially the possible RPG elements that will be implemented into the gameplay.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogon Poet View Post
Hey all,
looking forward to Deus Ex 3. I am trying to find out whether anyone else has a degree of love for Deus Ex: Invisible War as I do. Anyone? Or has everyone decided it is crap? Just interested because I really like it (although it must be patched). Anyone else in a similar boat or does everyone dislike it?
I really enjoyed Invisible War -- it was certainly simplified (and to a fault, as well); but I still thought it brilliantly combined shooter and RPG elements while having a decent storyline. By the looks of things, the third one is going to be more like the first one in terms of setting and (hopefully) gameplay: and that is good for me, though I still have a soft spot for Invisible War.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

If you make a sequel to a brilliant game and it's even just a tiny bit of a drop in quality from the original, you're pretty much doomed to be labeled terrible and a giant mistake. Games like Invisible War and BioShock 2 are good it's just that the shadows from their predecessors are cast so long that it's pretty much impossible not to get out of them. If the first Deus Ex was a 10/10 then Invisible War is probably an 8/10 and while that could be considered a disappointment, it's still better than a good majority of other games out there.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #5

Hm yeah fair enough. I would give it a 9/10 but still I think the first one is better and people reacted the way they did because of that.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #6

The original Deus Ex was unbeatable in its day, and DE:IW was a HUGE dissapointed compared to it, as it was SO great. Initially i felt anger & dissapointment in how they had changed the game so much, but if you look beyond the crap inventory & console style interface, the story still offers us those moral choices to make, and the approaches.

I was Highly dissapointed to start with it at the time, but now time has passed & having played it again since then, its still a shadow of Deus Ex, but its not quite as rubbish as i first thought. And i have enjoyed it a, little, more to be fair.

Deus Ex 10/10

DE:IW initial 4/10 in heinsight, 6/10
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #7

DE IW initially got good press. However fans of the first game hated it and it's now considered a horrible game by many people but I agree with you Vogan.

The original is one of my favourite games of all time and I've played it at least 6 times.

But I've also re-played IW several times, and while it's not as creative or immersive as the original, it's still a very good game in its own right. It's miles better than most of the crap that was put out at that time. We don't get enough FPS/RPG's as far as I'm concerned.

Good story although some of the writing in it is pretty hokey, but still some nice philosophical ideas being thrown around. I always have a hard time playing anything but a stealth char, however last time I maxed out strength, speed and bot domination. Made the game pretty easy even on the hardest setting, however it was fun jumping almost as high as some of the buildings in the game and flinging my unfortunate victims around.

As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to re-install and go through it again. Maybe a straight hacker this time.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Adventure Game Researcher

Invisible War is vastly superior in terms of graphics and the quality of the game world and characters...indeed at times it is the equal of Half Life 2....and IW is also a great game on its own merits. I have played and studied both DE and DE2...and think they both are good in their own ways... tho DE is aged and limited graphically. The texture packs improve it...but the third title will be welcome indeed and it is great to see classic series getting the attention they deserve recently..a good sign that the game developers are starting to get their head back down out of the Console Clouds and realizing that there are people out here, many of us who like a good story and a good game design, not just a hyperactive shooting gallery.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #9

Once I saw this thread I decided to give IW another go. I'm glad I did. This time I'm playing without killing anyone. It's more of a challenge and shortens the game somewhat, but I'm getting into it more as I'm concentrating more on the story itself.

I'm playing the game using morals I would in real life. ie; not taking on quests that involve murder, or cheating people etc and it does make a difference in how things are playing out, although not in dramatic way.

I'm at the point now that I'm going to have make a decision about which faction to go with, and while it's nice to play a game that makes you use your brain instead of brawn, one of the problems with the game is that there's really no consequences to playing all factions almost to the end, then deciding which route to go with as to the ending.

Also something I had forgotten was the small maps, forcing you to constantly look at loading screen after loading screen.

Still though I would agree with the metacritic score of 8/10.

Here's hoping Deus Ex Human Revolution will alleviate these problems. I haven't been this psyched for a game since IW came out.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Schattenjäger

i should probably give invisible war another shot. Alot of the changes they made just seemed unnecessary and really turned me off.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #11

Invisible War gets 7/10 using the IMDB scala, where 7 is pretty much average. (Only famous crap and politically incorrect works of genius get less.) I think the real drawbacks like dialogue, voice acting and missing exploration are averaged out by some brainy parts, particularly the endings and the JCD conversations. You also gotta credit the Greasel Pit and the Health Leech Drone!

GREEN GREASY GREASELS! YUM!