You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #41

I loved the first two Max Paynes. Those new screenshots are hopefully not too representative. Max Payne has to be a Film Noir homage or it isn't going to be Max Payne. Remedy wouldn't be that silly.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #42
Psychonaut

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/

First trailer is up for the Max Payne 3 game which now has a March 2012 release date.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/

First trailer is up for the Max Payne 3 game which now has a March 2012 release date.
Almost shed a tear! Music reminded me so much of Max Payne and what it was...
Ugh, I'm gonna play a song instead of playing it. The pain is big enough already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4nYbCWNT7Q

It's a late goodbye Max!

Edit: Holy crap this does bring back emotions. Max Payne was trully a great game, one of rare games that could provoke emotion in me (another of few being Sands of Time).

Here is the theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omQ-7wZTXvI

AGs currently playing:
PC: Sanitarium, Maupiti Island
iPhone: Broken Sword Director's Cut, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Last edited by 7h30n; 09-14-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #44

Any disgust for MP3 is nothing but ignorance and bandwagoning. It looks and feels great, like an actual sequel should be.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #45

I'm a huge fan of the first two games. They shine in every sense of the word. For me, the original Max Payne is probably still the finest action title I've played. And not to mention atmosphere, dialogs, characters...

Judging from these screenshots and what I've read about the upcoming game, I'm not exactly thrilled, though I do agree that New York saga was (IMO) decently concluded in the last game. So there is some logic in the departure from that world. On the other hand, I doubt the things will ever be as good for the true fans of Max Payne.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #46
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

As much as I love the first two Max Payne games, I never felt that they were genuinely great pieces of noir. What I like about Remedy is that they can sincerely pay homage to a genre they love without having to abandon a sense of humour about it. They tell dark crime stories with the Max Payne games but they also pepper in little tongue-in-cheek moments along the way that keep it from taking itself too seriously, knowing what they're making is the equivalent of a pulp fiction comic. It was the same thing with Alan Wake - that was a dead-serious ode to the horror of Stephen King that happened to be as funny as it was tense.

I'm excited for Max Payne 3 because, while I love Remedy, I can't wait to see what a developer as talented as Rockstar is going to do with this series. Judging by what we've seen, they're clearly bringing their own take to it and I honestly don't know what else you could want from a sequel than that.

To use a noir parable, I see this like the different approaches that were taken bringing Phillip Marlowe to the screen. You've got an iconic 40's-set movie like The Big Sleep with Bogart as Marlowe but then you've also got Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye, a semi-revisionist take with Elliot Gould playing Marlowe in the 70s, both completely different yet both brilliant in their own right.

We had one great developer play around with the world of Max Payne and now we've got another offering their own vision of it. How could anyone have a problem with that?

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #47

Well, I'm kinda sucker for noir storyes (I guess that is why I also like cyberpunk) so I'm sad we don't get the usual Max Payne.

I have no doubts that Rockstar will make an amazing job on gameplay and story but I don't think Max Payne 3 will make a connection with me like past titles have. I hope they prove me wrong.

How was Alan Wake? I'm thinking about picking it up.

AGs currently playing:
Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #48
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Alan Wake is great. If you like the first two Max Payne games then you need to check it out, it's definitely the spiritual successor to them.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 09-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Alan Wake is great. If you like the first two Max Payne games then you need to check it out, it's definitely the spiritual successor to them.
Heh, aw crap! Now I realized why it isn't on Steam ... because there is no PC version!

Oh well, time to get back to Silent Hill 2 then ...

AGs currently playing:
Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #50

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Just watched the trailer. What game is this? Splinter Cell 6?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7h30n View Post
Well, I'm kinda sucker for noir storyes (I guess that is why I also like cyberpunk) so I'm sad we don't get the usual Max Payne.

I have no doubts that Rockstar will make an amazing job on gameplay and story but I don't think Max Payne 3 will make a connection with me like past titles have. I hope they prove me wrong.
Its still noir. Plus a simple connection was made to the originals within the trailer with the mention of losing someone(people). There will be flashbacks in the game, so obviously there will be tons of connections to the original games.

Not to mention, they talk about his reasons for going to this exotic location in the trailer. Are these reasons not direction connections to the original games?

The reasons for not liking this is almost on par with the dislike for XCOM. People are way to blind to see that they are almost perfect successors portrayed in a different way.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Its still noir. Plus a simple connection was made to the originals within the trailer with the mention of losing someone(people). There will be flashbacks in the game, so obviously there will be tons of connections to the original games.

Not to mention, they talk about his reasons for going to this exotic location in the trailer. Are these reasons not direction connections to the original games?

The reasons for not liking this is almost on par with the dislike for XCOM. People are way to blind to see that they are almost perfect successors portrayed in a different way.
I highly doubt that. XCOM changed the setting (50s instead of 90s), changed the genre, removed all recognizable elements (like aliens, world-wide organization) and only thing I connecting it with X-Com is a similiar name and alien invasion. By that logic Half Life or Crysis is an X-Com game...

On the other hand Max Payne 3 only changed the setting, everything else that was part of MP is there. People are only disappointed/sad because we don't get another of many games set in rainy New York with dark, gritty noir tribute.

AGs currently playing:
Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #53

Quote:
I highly doubt that. XCOM changed the setting (50s instead of 90s), changed the genre, removed all recognizable elements (like aliens, world-wide organization) and only thing I connecting it with X-Com is a similiar name and alien invasion. By that logic Half Life or Crysis is an X-Com game...
Uh, no. XCOM doesn't need a world-wide organization to be XCOM. It just needs an organization you work from where you can organize tactics, your team, your weapons, etc. It also has aliens, especially ones that aren't your run of the mill generic grey men. Changed setting? So? Why should that define XCOM? XCOM only existed in the future? Hmmm, sounds like people can't handle depth to there games. Saying it removed all recognizable elements is complete bs. People are blind to see most of the elements are there.

So Half-Life and Crysis allowed you to control the situation of the war from a HUB, where you can choose who you want on your team, your weapon arsenal, your research, your location? Oh wait, your argument is quite flawed.

Quote:
On the other hand Max Payne 3 only changed the setting, everything else that was part of MP is there. People are only disappointed/sad because we don't get another of many games set in rainy New York with dark, gritty noir tribute.
Agreed. May not be dark,gritty noir, but its still Noir, or rather Neo-Noir.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
So Half-Life and Crysis allowed you to control the situation of the war from a HUB, where you can choose who you want on your team, your weapon arsenal, your research, your location? Oh wait, your argument is quite flawed.
You are aware that they started working on this XCOM before they had the XCOM license? You are also aware that all those XCOM elements were added after the fan outcry when the first trailer was shown? Just imagine your favourite game getting a remake in another genre, setting and only recognizable thing connecting it to your favourite game is the name, that is how I feel.

Sorry for the offtopic, I won't pursue my opinion on this any more (at least not in this topic)

Anyone else noticed the similarities with Michael McCann's style? I got this from Remedy's forum

It seems they are moving towards neo-noir which is a good thing! And Brazil surely can support that, too bad we didn't get to see it in the trailer.

AGs currently playing:

Last edited by 7h30n; 09-17-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #55

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

might as well call splinter cell a noir game.... if you want to go that route.

So far it looks like all we have loved is gone. I say we start digging his grave, and put him in there once its released, cause hes probably going to be DOA.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Sorry for the offtopic, I won't pursue my opinion on this any more (at least not in this topic)

Anyone else noticed the similarities with Michale McCann's style? I got this from Remedy's forum

It seems they are moving towards neo-noir which is a good thing! And Brazil surely can support that, too bad we didn't get to see it in the trailer.
Absolutely, I love Noir, but it still requires the dark gritty film noir look. Neo-Noir is just so colorful, yet still drives you mad with its atmosphere, writing, dialogue and dark undertone. I loved Chinatown and so many other Neo-Noir books and films.

So its just so unjustified to say this isn't Max Payne.